SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Practicing the Presence of God

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
PosterThread
HeartSong

Practicing the Presence of God

Oh what beautiful images coupled with a wonderful book! Oh
how I love Jesus!

Audio Book: Practicing the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myvideo/photo.php?lid=3916

2014/7/13 5:23Profile
Friedrick

Nicaragua

Re: Practicing the Presence of God

Do you know of anyway I could download the mp3 for this?

Are not all the ailments of a christian due to a broken communion with God?

There is something about the honest testimony of a man wrestling in a great spiritual walk.

Thanks for sharing!

2014/7/13 10:25Profile

Re:

I use Freemake Video Downloader to download free sermons (and burn them to DVDs also).

One of Freemake's software also lets a person take the MP3 portion out of the Youtube video. Make sure it is legal to do so for the particular video/mp3.

http://www.freemake.com/free_youtube_converter/

Take care

edit:
PS - there is "adware" that comes with the package, which if you select out of installing the "adware", you can have the freemake software, without any extra adware installed. read carefully.

2014/7/13 13:31
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

I have read this book more than once and it has been an inspiration to me. In the hands of a discerning Christian with sound biblical theology it may inspire to follow “Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men” (Colossians 3:23)and to keep God's presence in mind. However it is not a Gospel based book and can mislead an undiscerning person into a mystic, feelings based type of connection to God, that is not Christ centred and therefore void of the power of the cross. As such I would like to suggest that one reads it with a discerning mind.

2014/7/13 14:50Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Thank you HeartSong for highlighting this wonderful little book in which we can learn much to the practical outworking of practicing the presence of God.

One thing that is made clear in this little book by Brother Lawrence is that living in the presence of God is not just for the time we set aside for prayer, but we can have sweet communion and fellowship with God no matter where we are or what we are doing.

God is always with us. We are in Christ, and He lives in us. That does not mean that we will automatically live in the conscious presence of God, for Jesus said "Abide in me." The Word of God says that we are to set our affections on things that are above. We can live and walk in the Spirit.

God has said that we can come boldly unto the throne of grace. (Hebrews 4:16)

We can enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise. (Psalm 100:4).

Living the Christian life should never be boring because His mercies are new every day, great in His faithfulness. (Lamentations 3:22,23).

Mike

2014/7/13 15:41Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Do you know of anyway I could download the mp3 for this?

Brother we added it in mp3 format here: https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=1457

2014/7/13 17:21Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

But he was a Catholic. Horrors.

2014/7/13 19:56Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: But he was a Catholic. Horrors.

Mystical Eastern religions have been around since the time of the tower of Babel, it isn't just a catholic thing. You'll find these practices in Buddhism, Hinduism as well as catholicism. One thing you'll find it will promise is a Union with God, which is gained through certain disciplines, one of which will is always breath prayers.

2014/7/14 3:45Profile

Re:

Quote:
Union with God, which is gained through certain disciplines, one of which will is always breath prayers.

This might be the principle in Eastern religions, but it is not so in the church, even the Catholic Church.

Union with God, as in John of the Cross' "Dark Night of the Soul" is to obtained through grace alone and is classed as a gift. The practices of contemplative prayer, are to 'make a space' for God to work, or in other words, to devote ourselves to seeking for God, or hungering and thirsting for righteousness. This is what Brother Lawrence is talking about.

Christian mysticism is sadly greatly misunderstood and condemned because people do not understand this distinction.

2014/7/14 3:59
brothagary

from the web sight stand for the truth which indorses mantra praying ....................................................................."Practicing the Presence of God" a growing contemplative trend

Today we are seeing the mystical type of contemplative practices that date back to the eastern practices of Buddhists and Hindus, including a type of mantra-style breath prayer that many say can bring us to a higher consciousness to experience God.

Rick Warren, as evidenced by his Tweet today about this practice, is a proponent and teacher of breath-prayers to reach this level of consciousness.

Brother lawrenceThe contemplative practice of “practicing the presence” of God dates back to the late 1600s, when Catholic monk Brother Lawrence wrote the book, “The Practice of the Presence of God. Rick Warren was greatly influenced by Brother Lawrence and wrote about him in his book, The Purpose Driven Life, in which he shares six secrets to become God’s friends. One of those is “practicing God’s presence” by being in “constant conversation” with Him.

After quoting 1 Thessalonians 5:17 (“pray without ceasing”), Warren asks how a Christian can practice unceasing prayer to which he answers, “One way is to use ‘breath prayers’ throughout the day, as many Christians have done for centuries. You choose a brief sentence or a simple phrase that can be repeated in one breath.” Then after providing ten examples of prayers, short biblical phrases that could work as breath prayers, Warren advises “Pray it as often as possible so it is rooted deep in your heart.” In this context Warren also cites the book of Catholic Monk Brother Lawrence (c.1605-1691), The Practice of the Presence of God, who advocated experiencing the presence of God in the most menial of circumstances, by praying short conversational prayers throughout the day. The Roman Catholic practice of praying the rosary is also akin to breath prayers,,,,

after spending nealy the whole day watching and reading about estern medatation and the kudalundy syndrome and mentel illness and pycoses,,,i read this above and am verry verry weary about this

is this what jesus wants when he says pray with out ceasing ,,,or is this estern mystasisms

i dont a bibical mandate for this

2014/7/14 5:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy