SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Pure Milk of the Word

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
PosterThread

The Pure Milk of the Word

2 Peter 2:1-2
Therefore, putting aside all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander, like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect of salvation, if you have tasted the kindness of the Lord.

I am stunned by the simplicity of Peter`s exhortation. He tells his hearers to put aside all malice, deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander in their lives. In other words to put sin away.

But then Peter encourages his hearers to long for the pure milk of the word as a new born baby. Peter probably was remembering the words of Jesus who said unless you become like a little child you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

A new born infant will crave the milk from its mother's breast. The infant will not stop to analyse the the chemical content of the milk. But will drink it as it provides life for its body.

Should we not approach the word in the same way?. Should we not read it or listen to it? Just drink it in to provide life for our soul. Why do we need to do inductive chapter analysis or word studies? Why not just read it, listen to it, wash over us? Provide the quenching of our thirst for Him who is the Word.

Peter tells us to.long for the pure milk of the word. An infant will not grow on watered down milk. A mother's pure milk from her breast is far superior to baby formula for an infant to grow.

Yet we water down the word with the opinions and theologies of men. Certain theologians, church fathers, preachers, theological systems, etc become far more desirable than the pure milk of the word. Indeed those caught up on such systems often dis those who read the New Testament alone.

I remember watching a video where Chinese believers got their first Bible. When the box of Bibles were open these precious saints thought it was Christmas. They ran and got a Bible. They would hold it, caress it, and kiss it To them it was precious food from heaven for the soul.

But what if that box had been open and their would have been Calvin's Institutes or some other theological works. I think.their would have been great disappointment.

The persecuted in N. Korea will long for and crave the word so much they will die to own a copy of scripture. Pray tell what does this say to us in this forum where we debate the word.

I only pray that God have mercy on us. That we repent. And be as a new born baby longing for and craving His pure word.

Bearmaster

2014/7/5 10:30
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: The Pure Milk of the Word

Brother Blaine,

Amen in regards to this wonderful verse of Scripture. One comment I would like to make is that first the early Church used the Old Testament as their main source of Scripture. Secondly the purpose of the Scriptures is to bring us into worship and reality with the person of God. The Scriptures are not an end in themselves. a

There are godly traditions that were followed and believed by the Apostles and followers of Christ.

The verse says as newborn infants to desire the basic "milk" of the word that we can "grow." Hebrews speaks of the "meat" of the word of those able to discern between righteousness and unrighteousness. So may we grow!

2014/7/5 10:37Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Quote:
(As I write this I wonder what our Reformed brethren wound make of this).

Was this comment really necessary to add? It actually defeats the whole point you are trying to make and turns everything "sour" - which, by the way, milk can also become.

2014/7/5 12:00Profile

Re:

Paul I apologize for the offending remark and removed it. But I have noticed when I have posted OP`s about our need to be in the word, particularly the New Testament, you tend to oppose me on this.

I find this puzzling since you have often said if you gave a New Testament to a person in a foreign culture. And that person read the New Testament would they come to the same religious convictions we hold so dear on the Bible belt.

Blaine

2014/7/5 12:39
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
But I have noticed when I have posted OP`s about our need to be in the word, particularly the New Testament, you tend to oppose me on this.

Brother, I was actually enjoying your post until I came to the reformed brethren zinger. I do not oppose you or anyone else reminding us of our need to be in the word of God; what I oppose is when it is done in a legalistic, condemning way that puts people under a guilt trip. I oppose it because for many years I suffered under the weight of such straw-to-brick making, but once I was able to see that Pharoah was not the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit was not Pharoah, I entered into rest and grew in grace and in understanding of God's Word exponentially.

Quote:
I find this puzzling since you have often said if you gave a New Testament to a person in a foreign culture. And that person read the New Testament would they come to the same religious convictions we hold so dear on the Bible belt.

It is true that I've put tremendous emphasis on reading the New Testament in particular, for that is where we find the substance of the New Covenant whereas in the OT we find all the shadows. But reading the Old Testament is also tremendously important if we are to gain a richer understanding of what God has afforded us in the New. My point is that Christian spiritual exercise should never be done out of compulsion, guilty necessity, or fear of what people (or God for that matter) will think about you if you don't clock enough hours in the prayer closet or bent over a book.

For the record, I agree with the OP for the most part. I also like what Greg had to say. If the swipe at reformed brethren hadn't been there, I would have just passed by and not said anything.

Brother Paul

2014/7/5 13:29Profile

Re:

Greg it appears that 1 Peter 2:2 is more of an attitude of how we should approach the word. I do not know if he is making a distinction between milk and meet.

But none the less we need to be in the word to grow in respect to salvation in Jesus.

Granted the scriptures are not an end in themselves. They testify of Christ. But then we cannot grow in Christ without the scriptures.

I only emphasize the New Testament as it is the clearer revelation in the flow of redemptive history.

Blaine

2014/7/5 14:29
brothagary

Re:

good post

what i find a bit anoying is that if i believe in the sovernty of god and the bodage of will a type of sourvern election ,,im denomilisiad and branded a reformed brother who pays to much atention to theoligy ,,,when i disoverd my views from scripture and solidafied them with some times 4 to 6 hours of bibles readings in a day ,,never read calvin or luther

we need to watch out we arent the ones creating a denominational mind set in the opasite direction ,,by seeing other blood bought christian as some our not in our camp due to minor doctrines like that ,,even a non denominal brother can set up the fences around is own personly theoligy and project this view as being no denominal ,,but in essence it is just as devisive as any denoination

i think all veiws should be expressed and expounded from scripture in our congragation and let owr own minds decide through prayer and bible study what we want to believe

like a brother said mark i think he said it humbles him and he learns to listen ,,when he sits in a reformed gathering

when we get to the pint and feel we can fellwoship with a calvinist and a carsmatiic ,,or an strait talking ariminian ,,,we are then the verry problem we see in others

we are all the product or the shisim from the catholic ,,,and that is realy the camp we are in , and that is whare the line is drawn and the fences have been erected ,, on deviding doctrines ,,we dont need any more fences

2014/7/5 18:43Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Ignatius to the Philadelphians

St. Ignatius of Antioch (35 -117)

Chapter IX.-The Old Testament is Good: the New Testament is Better.

The priests indeed, and the ministers of the word, are good; but the High Priest is better, to whom the holy of holies has been committed, and who alone has been entrusted with the secrets of God. The ministering powers of God are good. The Comforter is holy, and the Word is holy, the Son of the Father, by whom He made all things, and exercises a providence over them all. This is the Way which leads to the Father, the Rock, the Defence the Key, the Shepherd, the Sacrifice, the Door of knowledge, through which have entered Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, Moses and all the company of the prophets, and these pillars of the world, the apostles, and the spouse of Christ, on whose account He poured out His own blood, as her marriage portion, that He might redeem her. All these things tend towards the unity of the one and only true God. But the Gospel possesses something transcendent [above the former dispensation], viz. the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, His passion, and the resurrection itself. For those things which the prophets announced, saying, "Until He come for whom it is reserved, and He shall be the expectation of the Gentiles," have been fulfilled in the Gospel, [our Lord saying, ] "Go ye and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost." All then are good together, the law, the prophets, the apostles, the whole company [of others] that have believed through them: only if we love one another.

2014/7/5 18:59Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

I agree that the Word of God must be the main thing that we study above all else. We must make time for it each day and meditate on it day and night. Yet there is a place for learning from gifted teachers of the Word with whom God has blessed us. Ephesians 4:11-12 says, "And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ."

Some Christians are opposed to the use of commentaries because they say it is not allowing the Holy Spirit to teach us directly. Yet if we follow that line of reasoning to it's logical conclusion, it would mean doing away with sermons, because sermons are like commentaries on the Word of God from men, they are teachings of the Word. It would mean doing away with websites like this. And it would mean doing away with discussion forums like this because they too are teachings of the Word, like commentaries.

“It seems odd, that certain men who talk so much of what the Holy Spirit reveals to themselves, should think so little of what he has revealed to others. My chat this afternoon is not for these great originals, but for you who are content to learn of holy men, taught of God, and mighty in the Scriptures. It has been the fashion of late years to speak against the use of commentaries…A respectable acquaintance with the opinions of the giants of the past, might have saved many an erratic thinker from wild interpretations and outrageous inferences” (C H Spurgeon).

2014/7/6 1:01Profile
brothagary

Re:

exactly oraco that whar that logic must led

2014/7/6 4:21Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy