SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : The most generally prevailing and ensnaring sin - Newton

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
davym

The most generally prevailing and ensnaring sin - Newton

The most generally prevailing and ensnaring sin

(Letters of John Newton)

"For of this you can be sure: that no sexually immoral or impure nor covetousness person--such a man is an idolater--has any inheritance in the kingdom of God." Ephesians 5:5

What is covetousness?

Covetousness is a sin from which few people are entirely free. It is eminently a deceitful sin! It is decried and condemned in others--by multitudes who live in the habit of it themselves! It is very difficult to fix a conviction of this sin--upon those who are guilty of it!

Whether drunkards or profligates regard the warnings of the preacher or not, when he declares that those who persist in those evil practices, shall not inherit the kingdom of God--they at least know their own characters, and are sensible that they are the people intended.

But if the preacher adds, "nor the covetousness person--such a man is an idolater" --the covetous man usually sits unmoved, and is more ready to apply the threatening to his neighbor--than to himself! If he now and then gives a few dollars to some charity--he does not suspect that he is liable to the charge of covetousness!

I consider covetousness as the most generally prevailing and ensnaring sin, by which professors of the gospel, in our materialistic society, are hindered in their spiritual progress. A disposition deeply rooted in our fallen nature, strengthened by the custom of all around us, the power of habit, and the fascinating charm of wealth--is not easily counteracted.

If we are, indeed, genuine believers in Christ--we are bound by obligation, and required by our Scriptural rule--to set our affections on the things that are above, not on the things that are on the earth. Christ has called us out of the world, and cautioned us against conformity to its spirit. While we are in the world--it is our duty, privilege, and honor--to manifest that grace which has delivered us from the love of the world. Christians must indeed eat and drink, and may buy and sell, as other people do. But the principles, motives, and ends of their conduct, are entirely different--they are to adorn the doctrine of God their Savior, and to do all for His glory!

The Christian knows that it is not necessary to be rich, or to be admired or envied by the vain unthinking world--and that it is absolutely necessary for him to maintain peace of conscience, and communion with God. In these respects, all God's people, however differently situated--are exactly upon a par.

But, alas! how many who profess to know and value the gospel--are far otherwise minded! The chief mark of their profession, is their attendance on Sunday services! At other times, and in other respects--they are not easily distinguished from the ungodly world! Their houses, furniture, tables, and other belongings; and the manner in which they seek worldly things--sufficiently proves them to be covetous! Their love of money, and the desire of more--are always in exercise. They attempt to look two ways at once--and to reconcile the incompatible claims of God--and mammon! They rise early, go to bed late, and eat the bread of worry--that they may be able to vie with the world in their possessions; and to lay up snares, and thorns, and encumbrances for their children!

Often, they already have a lawful employment, which affords a competence for a comfortable support. But if opportunity offers, they eagerly catch at some other prospect of gain, though they thereby double their anxieties, and encroach still more upon that time (too little before) which they should allot to the concerns of their souls!

Such opportunities they call providential openings, and perhaps say they are thankful for them; not considering that such openings of Providence are frequently temptations or tests, which the Lord permits a man to meet with--to prove what is in his heart, and to try him, whether his affections are indeed set on the things above--or still cleave to the earth!

For those who, as the apostle expresses it, "long to be rich," who will strain every nerve to be found in the list of the wealthy--may, and often do, obtain the poor reward they seek. As in the case of Israel, when, not satisfied with bread from heaven, they clamored for meat. God gives them their desire--but with it, sends leanness into their souls. They expose themselves to temptations and snares, to foolish passions and pursuits; and thus too many, who promised fair at the first setting out, are drowned in destruction and perdition! For it is written in the Scripture, "For of this you can be sure: that no covetousness person--such a man is an idolater--has any inheritance in the kingdom of God." Ephesians 5:5 And the Scriptures cannot be broken!

"For the love of money is the root of all evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows!" 1 Timothy 6:10. Who can enumerate the many sorrows with which the covetous and worldly-minded professor is pierced! Sooner or later, his schemes are broken; losses and crosses, disappointments and and anxieties, wear down his spirit. Improper connections, which he formed, because he longed to be rich, become thorns in his sides and in his eyes! He trusted in men--and men deceive him! He leaned upon a weak reed--which breaks, and he falls! Thus he finds that the way of transgressors and backsliders is hard!

If therefore, my dear reader, you wish to avoid trouble, and to pass through life as smoothly as possible, take heed and beware of covetousness!

2014/7/3 7:38Profile
savannah

Re: The most generally prevailing and ensnaring sin - Newton

John Newton knew then. John Newton knows now.

Too many are being taken captive by smooth talkers,and are being made merchandise of.

May God shine His Light through us to expel this darkness looming all around us. Here is but one sad example:

At 60 years of age she has become a very popular speaker. She certainly is one of the best-known and best-paid TV preachers (especially for women). Today her Life in the Word organization estimates revenue of 95 million this year. The ministry says it spends about 10 percent - $880,000 a month - on charitable works around the globe.

Her ministry is now a multimillion-dollar organization with 500 employees with offices in Europe and South Africa. The ministry's headquarters were built a year and a half ago by for approximately $19 million. Meyer's ministry reaches out to the world, a Charisma article a number of years ago pointed out that she is on 600 radio and television stations -selling nearly three million tapes and close to a million books. Her Web site brings an average $8 million a month to her ministry. (Reference-Joyce Meyer's message: Give to me and God gives to you By Carolyn Tuft and Bill Smith St. Louis Post-Dispatch)

Meyer's house, is a 10,000-square-foot Cape Cod style estate home with a guest house and a garage that can be independently heated and cooled and can hold up to eight cars. The three-acre property has a large fountain, a gazebo, a private putting green, a pool and a poolhouse where the ministry recently added a $10,000 bathroom.

“I don't want to spend my whole life talking about the promised land without ever getting there. I want to live in it ”(Joyce Meyer, “What Does Your Future Hold” May 21, 2004). This indicates to me that she considers it okay and even desirable to live a wealthy lifestyle. She is living her example of the word/faith prosperity message. If you listen carefully to her messages you will soon discern that she is a follower of the word/faith and prosperity message so often found from television evangelists.

Some people think that representatives of Christ should live opulent lifestyles resulting from the gospel, this results from being brainwashed from the prosperity cult of word faith. This is the very opposite of what the apostles taught and gave as examples that the church is to follow. There is nothing wrong with being paid for ones labor, to have support to do ministry work but what we are seeing goes beyond abuse.

“We laid hands on the check and prayed. I went and got all of our checkbooks and my pocketbook and Dave got his wallet and we laid hands on them and put the blood on them, asking God to protect our money, to cause it to multiply and to see to it that Satan could not steal any of it from us” (p.111 The Name, The Word, The Blood.).

It works for her. Consider what they prayed for them-selves. Hopefully it will make you pause and think...

A recent series of investigative articles in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch revealed Meyer's ministry purchased for Joyce and Dave a $2 million home, a $10 million private jet, and houses worth another $2 million for the couple's children, who also work for the ministry. The articles also outlined Meyer's recent personal purchases, including a $500,000 vacation home. Meyer, 60, lives in Fenton, Missouri, near St. Louis.

Meyer’s response to all this was:

"If you stay in your faith, you are going to get paid. I’m living now in my reward."

01/02/2004 Joyce Meyer's “Life in the Word” TV show will no longer be aired on the Rev. Larry Rice's KNLC (Channel 24).

Rice said he had told Meyer two weeks ago that he was canceling her Sunday evening program and was considering canceling her weekday show when the ministry notified him Friday that it was pulling off the station.

Rice said his actions were prompted by Meyer's lavish lifestyle and what he saw as teachings that often went “beyond Scripture.”

Rice said he had become increasingly worried about what he views as the “excessive lifestyle” of Meyer and her family.

He said Friday that the ministry's $2.5 million home in south St. Louis County where Meyer lives, and the $100,000 Mercedes-Benz owned by her husband, Dave, “crosses the line.”

“She wasn't always like this,” he said of Meyer. “She's really drifted.”

Good for him to stand up for the truth even though he would lose money. We need more people with integrity like this.

After 9 years of giving, man has no Chrysler, no wife, no wealth By Carolyn Tuft Post-Dispatch 11/17/2003

Bob Schneller gave to Joyce Meyer until it hurt. Nine years later, he says, it still aches.

He's out of money, out of a marriage and out of faith with televangelists.

Schneller, 59, lives alone in a 600-square-foot, early-model mobile home in House Springs. He's surrounded by videotapes of televangelists. He says he studies the tapes to learn how he was taken in by Meyer.

Not so long ago, Schneller spent his days hanging on Meyer's every word. The money he gave her - $4,400 a year - surpassed his annual mortgage payment. He and his wife lived on $30,000 a year.

“She teaches you that if you give a seed offering, it will come back tenfold or a hundredfold,” Schneller said. “I know it sounds ridiculous, but you get caught up in it. You believe it as truth.” “Her teachings were practical,” Schneller said. “I'd never heard anyone preach that way before.”

He goes on to say Most of what Meyer taught, Schneller said, is what he calls the “name-it-and-claim-it” theology: If you have enough faith, you can name what you want.

“So I laid across the hood of a brand new 1985 Chrysler Fifth Avenue,” Schneller said. “I never did get it. She would say that I didn't have enough faith, or that there was sin in my life blocking the blessing. It always goes back to you.”

The Schnellers began giving more to Meyer: $350 a month. They went to Meyer's home Bible sessions.

By the early 1990s, Meyer's popularity started to climb.

But Schneller was less fortunate. His back went out, and he lacked money to pay his bills. He went to Meyer and told her what was happening. She laid her hands on him, he said, and told him that he would be healed, that his problems would soon go away.

“One day, I went out to my mailbox, and there inside were six $100 bills wrapped up,” Schneller said. “Right after that, she had me give testimony, and she used it to prove that you can be blessed.”

Despite the $600, nothing changed, he said. He went on workers' compensation and underwent neck surgery. Meyer called him to wish him well, he said. She began giving seed money to a ministry that Schneller and his wife had started, Sword of Spirit of Truth.

Then, in the spring of 1994, a new technique was percolating among charismatics like Meyer. It was called “holy laughter,” a ritual in which the congregation sings songs repetitively. The preacher steps onstage and begins laughing. Immediately, the room breaks into laughter. People slide out of their chairs and onto the floor, “drunk on the Holy Spirit.”

But Schneller felt uncomfortable with it.

The Schnellers went to a church in Waterloo. There, Schneller spoke out against holy laughter. A few days later, Schneller said, his wife was called into Meyer's office.

Meyer told her, Schneller said, that because of their position on holy laughter, “I can no longer support you.”

They parted ways.

Since then, Schneller's marriage has fallen apart. He works as a security guard and attends a “regular church, where the Bible is taught verse by verse.”

2014/7/3 11:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy