Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Strongholds by Phil Metzger

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Strongholds by Phil Metzger

2 Corinthians 10.4-5 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.

A stronghold was a fortified tower. These were considered the most difficult points of a city to conquer. If you were attacking, you would first have to get through the walls of the city—all while its citizens rain hell down upon you from these fortified points. If you succeeded here, you’d still have to defeat those holding out in these strongholds. Clearly, this was not an easy task.

Paul says that there are strongholds in our minds. Thoughts that we have given precedence to and that, in some cases, hold power over us.

Imagine your mind like a fortified city with walls and strongholds and citizens dwelling within!

If our minds are the city, then the walls are those defenses we build up to protect ourselves. The strongholds are thoughts we have entertained and allowed to have control over us. The citizens of our lives are the thoughts that fill our minds on a daily basis.

Paul says that the weapons of our warfare are mighty in God for pulling down strongholds. God’s power in our lives can bring down the walls and the strongholds that we build up.

Paul also says that we are to bring every thought captive to the obedience of Christ. Once you’ve breached the city, you can go around and imprison its citizens, those unruly thoughts!

I'm not suggesting that all of our thoughts are evil or wrong; but the longer I walk with the Lord, the more I see that most, if not all, of my thoughts are!
Let me mention one stronghold that many build up in their lives.

"I'm a Nobody"

This is a popular one. Its power is crippling. For some, the "I'm nobody" syndrome was born out of being told this by others over a lifetime. Maybe it was mom and dad, a teacher, or just the devil, but after hearing it enough, you have become convinced that you are, indeed, a “nobody”.

This thought that at one time just hurt eventually became the foundation of a stronghold in your life. After hearing it enough, you believed it and made it a part of your identity. I am nobody- I'm not worthy of love and I'll never be important to anyone.

This kind of thinking is destructive for several reasons.
It keeps the focus on us.

If you walk through life constantly believing that you are a big “nobody”, then you will have wasted the life God has given you. You will have spent your energies focused upon who you think you are rather than who you actually are in Christ.

2. It diminishes the promises and the love of God
Zephaniah 3:17 The Lord your God in your midst, the Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.

1 John 3:1 Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!

When you focus upon how you are nothing, then in a certain sense you are saying, "God your promises and love aren't enough. I want more."
3. It is true—but in a different way than you are thinking.

It is 100% true that we are nobodies. The Bible tells us so, but not in the way that so many hold to. The Bible tells us that our righteousness is like a filthy rag and that we have all sinned and fallen short of His glory. This is Biblical truth, but there is more to it than that.

Yes, we are guilty, but we are also loved. In fact, it is the knowledge of our guilt that makes God's love that much more beautiful. This is the problem with believing the stronghold of “I am nobody”! Quite often we focus only on what's been said to us or about us and we don't get the full picture of God's truth. He has chosen to love sinful, wretched me. I can't explain it and I don't deserve it, but I choose to receive it. Yes, I am nobody—but I am loved.

If this false thought is not brought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, then it will become a stronghold in my life. It will become a part of my false identity that is rooted in false thinking.

We must ask God to help us tear down these strongholds that affect how we see the world, ourselves, and, most importantly, our God.

I challenge you today—consider what strongholds have taken root in your mind. The weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God. Let’s not forget that!

from: http://calvarychapel.com/resources/article/view/strongholds/

2014/7/1 12:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy