SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Tough issues in the bible and today's church

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Tough issues in the bible and today's church

Recently I have come across some comments some certain people who raise good points but yet I don't know how a Christian responds to them. It comes down to the OT being so different from the NT that many think they are 2 different Gods. The OT God seems more like Allah then Jesus in some of its acts of brutality. In any case I want to share some comments and I am asking how you would respond to them.

Quote:
"The Muslim god, and the Christian god, are one in the same. In the Christian bible he mandated them to keep all the young virgin girls alive as sex slaves. That's rape, and slavery, in one whop. So many christians involved in the church, or pastors, or priests get accused, or arrested, for pedophilia, that I think the christian god must love pedophilia. If not, why doesn't he stop them from doing it? Where is god's armor, like (name withheld) says? So many christians say that gay marriage will lead to bestiality, so why can't I say that christianity leads to pedophilia? There's wayyyyyyy more evidence for this case! "

Quote:
"Read what the bible condones...

Does the bible condone rape and paedophilia?

I want to be very careful in how I phrase this question because I know that it might stir up all manner of hysteria, but take a look at the following bible verse, and lets try to think about what it says:

"Numbers 31:17-18 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves".

This, to me, seems to be suggesting that the winning side (God's) in this story are free according to God - nay, are commanded by God Himself! - to spare the young, female children left after this battle for sexual slavery.

Are there any Christians who are honest enough to admit that can honestly say that this question gives them problems, or do they really and truly believe that such actions are worthy of a God of love? Again, I do not ask this question to cause trouble, merely to say that there are surely some verses in the bible that God does not intend us to believe as being His explicit orders or His declared intention, will or desire. Could we have a sensible debate about this one, please?

2014/6/26 14:22Profile
brothagary

Re: Tough issues in the bible and today's church

for startes it does not say keep them for sex slaves ,,becasuse fornacation is fornacation ,and it is a sin ,,so that is obviously a falty intrpration ,,it means ti intergrate them into there own socity ,,more like adobting them

when understanding the old testaament you need to understand the blood thristy evil nature of the people back then ,,in some cases there were sill refaim ,,giants ,,and the evil on the earth that was cause by these canable horific race of men ,,was delt with by god with the death peniltiy ,,,reofoming there nature in most cases was not an option and would not work mmwithout the death penility and genocide ,,god would hav had to destroy the earth with another flood ,,wich he said he would not do again

the virgin female children were the purest out of that race and god new they could be saved and intergrated in to jewish culture

the men and woman and the young boys would have grown corupted ,,,even now sciencetes believe that geans to do horifice evil deeds and be drunkens and criminals can be passed down from generation to generation

2014/6/30 5:35Profile
brothagary

Re:

More from Scientific American A 2002 study found that a particular variation of a gene predicted antisocial behavior in men who were mistreated as children. The gene controls whether we produce an enzyme called monoamine oxidase A (MAOA), which at low levels has been linked to aggression in mice. The researchers found that boys who were neglected and who possessed a variation of the gene that produced low levels of MAOA were more likely to develop antisocial personality disorder, commit crimes and grow up to have a violent disposition. But those living in a similar environment who produced more of the enzyme rarely developed these problems.

Psychopaths are arguably the evilest of the evildoers. A study published in August 2010 looked at psychopathic tendencies in teenagers with low socioeconomic resources. The researchers found that adolescents who had a variation of another gene, which contributes to how quickly serotonin is recycled in the brain and which has been linked to hostile behavior in children, were more likely to exhibit signs of psychopathy.

2014/6/30 5:40Profile
brothagary

Re:

i went out on a limb becasue i wasnt sure but look and see

god will deal with evil his own way in his on times ,,and in his own dipensasions

2014/6/30 5:42Profile
yuehan

Re: Tough issues in the bible and today's church

DEADn,

You might find a comprehensive answer if you were to search some of the apologetics websites. I reckon CARM.ORG is usually pretty good.

2014/6/30 6:27Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

There is a relatively new book out titled " Is God a Moral Monster?" By Paul Copan that addresses these OT issues. I haven't read it yet but Hank hanegraaf has been pushing. It is supposed to address these types of questions.

But I agree with Gary that the persons you are conversing with are playing fast and loose with the text. Since the Bible dies not say these virgins were taken as concubines or "sex slaves" the burden of proof is on them to prove their point. They are reading into the text.

The better argument is why did God require the little boys be killed. I am sure He had his reasons although they are not readily apparent.

2014/6/30 8:05Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Quote:

But I agree with Gary that the persons you are conversing with are playing fast and loose with the text. Since the Bible dies not say these virgins were taken as concubines or "sex slaves" the burden of proof is on them to prove their point. They are reading into the text.

The better argument is why did God require the little boys be killed. I am sure He had his reasons although they are not readily apparent.

I agree and I have not given myself sufficient time to look into all of this hence the reason I posted it here. I wanted to get some feedback.

I do wonder how can it be proven that those generations were much more evil back then because some times the scripture isn't always just plain to read. Another thing is the liberal mindset is being used to interpret these things and that is unfair because of how each generation changes in mindset and even in law as well.

2014/6/30 8:51Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Re:

God had already forbidden Hebrew men from marrying Canaannite women. Why? Because, for one, Canaanite culture would corrupt Israel and its worship of the one true God. (Virtually all of the OT after the Torah proves that.) Where the men of Canaan and their wives were removed from a tribe or clan, as in the situation in Numbers, and virgins lived, the corrupting influence was not sufficiently present for God to forbid the intermarriage. This seems reasonable. And of course I give God the benefit of my own doubtful knowledge.

Boys may have been killed because they could not be expected to unlearn the ways of Canaan already instilled in them. Later in life, those same Canaanite boys would be Canaanite men even if raised among Hebrews. They would have returned to their own people. This is true .... One need only see Moses as an example. Raised Egyptian royalty, he returned to the Hebrews. They could not so thoroughly purge Moses of his Hebrewness that he would remain loyal to Egypt against them. This was also to be expected from Canaanite boys. To raise them would have been to court their own disaster.

I know that seems callous to us. But, God is above our judgment of him, and that of the world.

2014/6/30 8:56Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

How is a virgin women different then non virgin women in the OT?

2014/6/30 9:05Profile

DEADn

If you had listened to even a handful of the sermons available to you on this website, you would not be asking such questions! It sounds as though you are more of a secularist or humanist by many of the questions you ask. The basic sin nature of man is one that is foundational to the faith. Have you listened to 'Ten Shekels and a Shirt' by Paris Reidhead?
Have you listened to Art Katz over and over denounce and call to account the humanistic errors of our ways as believers. Have you listened to Leonard Ravenhill call our lazy believism into account or David Wilkerson wrestle with God over his lifetime? Listen to these sermons. Dig into the Word yourself. Wrestle with God, not with mockers and unbelievers!
We cannot fight humanist and secular and false religions and philosophies with fuzzy humanistic ways of thinking (worldly thinking, as set up by Satan in this earth) God's ways are not our ways, his thoughts are not our thoughts...until we are born again, agreeing with His Word, though we often fight it with every inch of our flesh because it seems "unfair" and "unloving".

God has never been unfair or unloving. God is just and He is loving. We, however, are born with a corrupt nature.

It is so clear that many, including those who call themselves Christians are justifying their own desires, wants, needs and opinions without consulting the Lord, His Book and dying to the fleshly lies. And it is a battle on a daily basis. The very mind of God is available to us when we believe in His Son, receive His Holy Spirit and daily walk, agreeing with His Word, His Ways, His Life within us. Pick up your cross and follow Him, he said. Die to all these arguments and needing to understand God. We are the clay. He is the Potter. We do not have to explain our God's ways and apologise for Him. He knows what He is about.

Don't mean to embarrass you, but there are sermons on this website of godly men and women who have been tested and tried. Their testimonies and messages have been preserved for many of us who have not had good teachers, preachers or Discipler's. Take advantage of hearing them before it is too late and the site is taken down. No one knows how long you will have the opportunity to glean from these saints.

L.Manto

2014/6/30 10:01

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy