SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is Foot Washing For Today?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

And then there is faith: "without faith it is impossible to please him."

The study of faith teaches us that people obeyed the LORD's commands that made little sense to them. You cannot believe without doing, obeying. Hebrews 11 teaches us that.

Some things defy common sense, culture, but we do it as an act of faith - we believe and so we do.

2014/6/26 17:57Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

Sree, I appreciate your many posts and your insights but I would like to ask you a question: based on your quote, you would have to include baptism in this 'dead work', right? Baptism is purely a ritual, nothing more, nothing less BUT commanded by the LORD Jesus to do. When such is the case, it has meaning beyond our scope of comprehension...except maybe it is our modern day equivalent of eating from the 'tree of knowledge of good and evil': you either do it and sin or refuse and obey God - a test of our obedience.

Sister I think I was too harsh on calling Foot washing in a western environment or in well developed nation as Dead Work. Thank you for pointing out. There is always an excuse of youthful zeal!

I was referring to Hebrews 9:14- how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

The purpose of the Jesus washing the feet of his disciples is to set an example to serve one another. I am sure you will agree on that. The service is important here.

If a person does not have this serving mentality, sits in a Church every Sunday where he tithes, gives 2 hours of time and practices the ritual of foot washing which is not at all a needed service in his country (because people are rich enough to come in car with shoes and socks), just because their Church takes it as a literal command. To me this action is a dead work. There is no use to anyone here. It will give them a feeling as if they have served one another, but with a useless service. To serve one another is to keep looking into Body of Christ and see the need and be quick to respond with service. Jesus saw the feet of disciple dirty and he responded with a service.

Now if there is a Church in which everyone puts their service to build the body of Christ and apart from that they also practice foot washing because they do not want to miss even a single command from God then I do not call it a Dead work. It is like people who greet me with kiss because it is commanded, but I will in response shake their hands. As long as you greet one another and welcome them it is good enough.

Regarding Baptism it is a symbol of a person dying and raising with Christ. Just like Head covering it is a symbol for both men and angels. Angels rejoice in heaven when they see a sinner repent and take baptism. But foot washing is not a symbol, it was a service done by Jesus. Jesus asked us to serve without others knowing it whenever possible. I do not believe Jesus will ask us to have symbol for serving. I find them contradicting. What do you think?

2014/6/26 23:38Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I agree with you Sree. Well stated.

2014/6/27 6:18Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy