SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is Foot Washing For Today?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Brother TWayne

you wrote:

Quote:
We are not commanded to wash the feet of one another, however I grew up with an occasional foot-washing service. It did not happen often and as I look back on it, I am sure there was a real prompting of the Holy Spirit to do so as these were times of great humility, repentance to one another, and brokenness before God. I remember them as glorious times when the Holy Spirit really did a deep work in the hearts of all of us.

oh that sung to my heart brother. Truly.

the first time I read that passage in John I was 42, this was in 2002, and my spirit sang when I read that passage,(I could literally SEE Jesus, as he did that act of love and care) ANYTHING that speaketh of agape love IN God, led by the Holy Spirit, demonstrated AND COMMANDED by Messiah Jesus, that is The Way i endeavor to walk in.

let me share and testify to my day, if you be kind to bear with me. I wear sneakers with no socks, and today I was taken my Ford tractor (go blue) into my woods to start bucketing out hickory biscuits, I had cut off a couple hundred foot hickories I dropped.

I loaded the bucket up, and since hickory has the most BTU's of any hardwood, its heavy.. But there's a problem I didn't account for, the floor of the forest this time of year is moist, meaning a portion can act as a sinkhole, meaning you can dump your tractor, meaning you can flip yourself OUT of the tractor, just in time to have the tractor dump on you....at worst, its a bad death, at the least, it wont kill you right away, you'll just take hours to expire, because you're deep in the forest, and haven't told anyone what todays chores are.

I was in low gear, backing up slowly, and in an instant, she started to go over. Blessed be God, I got quick reflexes, and set it going forward. it took a while to creep the tractor back out. I only did that one load...TODAY.

Now we come to the real test, I went inside to refill my Bubba keg with iced Gatorade. phone rang, it was a friend from the city, I had done a play, wrote it, portrayed an important political figure, it ran 4 years and 400 sold out performances, 2006-09, in my familys theater. this friend called to tell me, that he had evidence, that the people I had grown up with and trusted, including my son's uncle, other friends I had known for 30 years, who had never seen this deluge of money had stolen somewhere between $40,000 to $100,000 plus from the box office, while I was in the theater performing the show...those you trust. My heart was broken, then it went black, I came so close to grabbing my car keys and my holster, and taking the 4 and an hour drive down to the city. I was trying to get in touch with other family members to rant in my black hearted pain.....then suddenly the Holy Spirit brought to remembrance my only brother in the theater world/entertainment industry who follows Jesus, and I called him, because I couldn't swim in a sea of hatred....ie, you cant hate your brother and say you Love God.

I told him of the situation, he ministered to me, and then I suggested lets pray......for them all, for us, for me....pray that the Holy Spirit speaks to them, that they apprehend and follow Jesus, so they can plead the Blood that cleanses all sin, and infirmities, because in the last two years, my son's uncle, who violated "thou shall not steal, was stricken with a virulent case of Parkinson's disease , as well as attendant psychotic behavior.

we prayed for him in the Holy Ghost.....and in the Divine Mercies of the Holy Ghost, all anger, all hatred, all sinful thoughts were driven out of my soul, BY the God the Holy Spirit.

I love Jesus so much, for loving me and washing my soul, my feet, my life......a life eternal, casting off the chains of the fear of death.

in the final analysis, God is love.

2014/6/25 21:24
Elibeth

Re: Is Foot Washing For Today?

In answer to your question,May I offer something for your consideration ?

As we look at many of the things that Jesus did while He was teaching,..
taking them into consideration,and the meaning that it represents / reflects for our day (and after His resurrection),both naturally for that day and Spiritual reflections.

How He :
Healed:
*The blinded eyes,/ wants to give us eyes to see,.. Spiritually.
*The lame/. ..our walk
* deaf / ears to hear,....through the Spirit
* Dead / Death.../ Life. Lazarus died,was bound from head to toe,..isn't that the way we were?

Jesus said,'these things shall ye do ( healing) ,and greater than these
Shell ye do...I believe He was talking about, ' Through the foolishness
of preaching ' the gospel of the kingdom of God many would be healed
Spiritually.

I have said all of that to say this,the washing of the feet that Jesus
demonstrated, to me it not only was showing us to humble ourselves ,but that our walk matters,...and reminding each other that we must walk with
clean feet ( Spiritually )

Just wondering....
Was Paul really washing Peters feet when he ask him the question on
his hypocrisy ?

Thoughts,
elizabeth

2014/6/25 21:29Profile
Sree

Re: Is Foot Washing For Today?

This is not new to SI, whenever there is a thread on Head covering someone will question foot washing. I believe in head covering as a God ordained symbol. But I do not believe Foot washing is literal command. I believe in the command.

Quote:

So taken at face value it would seem that our Lord is giving a clear command not only to the 12 but also to every believer throughout all ages to follow literally this example of washing one another’s feet. And we cannot say that this was part of the Old Covenant because there was no such command given in the OT Scriptures.

In verse 12 Jesus himself said clearly that he is only giving an example. At that moment Jesus gave an example by doing a service that was much NEEDED for the disciples. He did not restrain from serving because he was a teacher, but wanted to set an example that in Church each one should have this attitude to serve. In the Church that I attend no one is paid to serve, we do more in a Sunday service than most Churches, we serve lunch as well which is completely cooked by the brothers. No one is paid, not even the elders who Sheppard us. Each of us serve one another.

There are brothers who take up the responsibility of Toilet cleaning in Church. Surely cleaning the toilet is much lower service than washing feet. We do not reject this ritual that Jesus did to his disciple because it is lowly or will look odd (unlike head covering which is rejected by most women because it looks odd). We do not do it because we do things that are more practical and much more needed in the Church.

I do not find any use in washing feet in an American Church in which everyone wears a shoe with socks. No one is benefited from this service. It is a service done just for name sake and hence a dead work. Jesus did not teach us to do a dead work, he came to cleanse us from dead work.

2014/6/25 23:04Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

I do not believe that foot washing is an ordinance but you can't use it as a vehicle in which to tote the rejection of other commands.

It is abundantly clear from the text that it is an example or type, not a commandment.

2014/6/26 0:39Profile
Jeremy221

Re: Brother TWayne

Thank you Neal, that testimony was very edifying for me.

2014/6/26 2:39Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Sree wrote:

Jesus did not teach us to do a dead work, he came to cleanse us from dead work.

Sree, I appreciate your many posts and your insights but I would like to ask you a question: based on your quote, you would have to include baptism in this 'dead work', right? Baptism is purely a ritual, nothing more, nothing less BUT commanded by the LORD Jesus to do. When such is the case, it has meaning beyond our scope of comprehension...except maybe it is our modern day equivalent of eating from the 'tree of knowledge of good and evil': you either do it and sin or refuse and obey God - a test of our obedience.

What do ya think?

2014/6/26 8:30Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Here is a thought that is similar to what Sree said:

from the example in New Testament Scripture excluding the Gospel account it seems it is only an ordinance for widows to do if it were literal. And in context of the culture it would mean if widows took the place of servants to wash peoples feet when they came in from walking in the dirty paths of the city etc.

--

The foot-washing was an example, a pattern. Many groups throughout church history have practiced literal foot-washing as a church ordinance. However, present culture in many lands does not call for washing dust from the feet of one's guests. Although the Lord's Supper was practiced, the early church apparently did not practice foot-washing as an ordinance in church gatherings.

This passage emphasizes inner humility, not a physical rite. A Christian widow's practice of "washing the feet of the saints" (1 Timothy 5:10) speaks not of her involvement in a church ordinance but of her humble, slave-like service to other believers. To refuse to follow the example of Jesus is to exalt oneself above Him and to live in pride. “No servant is greater than his master” (John 12:26).

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/foot-washing.html#ixzz35kmaLRWZ

2014/6/26 10:01Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Just also to mention there are 4 scripture passages that speak of a "holy kiss"

Romans 16:16; 1 Corinthians 16:20; 2 Corinthians 13:12; and 1 Thessalonians 5:26.

Kiss Greek: philēma
the kiss with which, as a sign of fraternal affection, Christians were accustomed to welcome or dismiss their companions in the faith

In the culture one would kiss the cheek. In our culture we would embrace in a hug which in my mind would accomplish the same affection of love toward the saint.

This is not an ordinance setup by our Lord but rather a practice that saints just as they also called each other brother and sister.

2014/6/26 10:05Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

sermonindex writes:

Quote:
Just also to mention there are 4 scripture passages that speak of a "holy kiss"

Romans 16:16; 1 Corinthians 16:20; 2 Corinthians 13:12; and 1 Thessalonians 5:26.

Kiss Greek: philēma
the kiss with which, as a sign of fraternal affection, Christians were accustomed to welcome or dismiss their companions in the faith

In the culture one would kiss the cheek. In our culture we would embrace in a hug which in my mind would accomplish the same affection of love toward the saint.

This is not an ordinance setup by our Lord but rather a practice that saints just as they also called each other brother and sister.

Amen. When it comes to certain types of exhortations given in Scripture we must consider the culture and why certain exhortations were given and how we can apply the spiritual principle behind those exhortations today. Today in western cultures a common practice among believers is to greet each other with a hug or hand shake. That is a valid modern-day application of that exhortation to greet one another with a holy kiss. We are not bound to apply every single scriptural exhortation or command literally today.

2014/6/26 12:24Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Brothers,

How then do you go about determining which ones should not be followed?

2014/6/26 12:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy