SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : is head covering literal or spiritual

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
followthelamb

In Christ

Online!
 Re:

As to the original question posted, church history bears witness that these verses are speaking unequivocally of an actual physical covering, a symbol that can be seen by men and angels. It was the practice of the vast majority of Christian women until the 20th century.

2014/6/24 12:59Profile
followthelamb

In Christ

Online!
 Re:

"On the night of the Passover, the Jewish people in Egypt were told to put a symbol on their door post, marking it with the blood of the slain lamb. When the angel of death saw it, he passed over the house, leaving it in peace.

Now suppose a family had said, “Who cares? It’s just a symbol. Besides, we are children of Israel and God knows our hearts and our family lineage; He knows we are not Egyptians.” Surely they would have fallen under the same awful judgment the Egyptians faced.

Symbols are important to God, and following them puts things into play in the spiritual world.....because it is a symbol instituted by God, it makes a loud statement in the spiritual world. The Enemy and flesh oppose the acknowledgment of God’s authority and government.

Think about it objectively: How difficult is it to put something on your head? People do it for fashion all the time! It’s almost ridiculous to consider how simple an act could possibly cause such conflict. This struggle is not over the physical act of putting something on your head, but for the impact that is made in the spiritual world.

Some in the Corinthian church had difficulty comprehending the depths of this holy tradition. They struggled with the idea of it, probably not even aware of the true reasons for their inward reluctance....The question was, Would they obey or disobey?

The believers at Corinth did choose to submit to this teaching, for Tertullian, an early church father, writes more than 200 years later that the Corinthian women were wearing head coverings. History further shows us that the issue of women not wearing head coverings did not resurface again until the middle of the 20th century, when the seeds
of thought from liberal theology and higher criticism bore their fruit in this doctrine."

- K.P. Yohannan

2014/6/24 13:05Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I hope and pray while were all here splitting hairs over Bible theology, some warriors are out trying to bring in the lost sheep. But we should be rejoicing, this is exactly what the Bible says will happen in the last days, Praise Jesus!

2014/6/24 13:15Profile
followthelamb

In Christ

Online!
 Re:

The quote below and in previous post are from the small booklet to which my husband posted a link. It is the most balanced, loving teaching I've read on this subject, but it does not compromise with the spirit of this age. May the Lamb of God be glorified and may we love one another as He loved us.

"the Enemy would love to have us major on a doctrine such as this and have us ignore the weightier matters of the faith just as Jesus pointed out to the Pharisees in Matthew 23:23. This is a doctrine that may seem small and insignificant, yet it is still important. I don’t believe the Enemy would oppose it so strongly if it were not.

Wearing a head covering is biblical, and as with all New Testament instructions, it is to be taught and obeyed. However, it must not become a source of division and disunity in the Body of Christ.

Let us seek the Lord and His Word with open hearts. May God create within us a deep hunger to be His completely, for time and eternity."

- K.P. Yohannan

2014/6/24 13:16Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Here is John MacArthurs take:

"As with meat that had been offered to idols, there was nothing in the wearing or not wearing of the head covering itself that was right or wrong. It is the rebellion against God–ordained roles that is wrong, and in Corinth that rebellion was demonstrated by women praying and prophesying with their heads uncovered.
Dress is largely cultural and, unless what a person wears is immodest or sexually suggestive, it has no moral or spiritual significance. Throughout biblical times, as in many parts of the world today, both men and women wore some type of robe. But there always were some clear distinctions of dress between men and women, most often indicated by hair length and head coverings.

It is the principle of women’s subordination to men, not the particular mark or symbol of that subordination, that Paul is teaching in this passage. The apostle is not laying down a universal principle that Christian women should always worship with their heads covered."

2014/6/24 14:25Profile
Sree

Re:

TMK, you are just peddling with my words. I have clarified my views here clearly. I do not want to generalize and say that all women who do not cover their head are sinning or rebellious. There are those who do not cover out of ignorance. There are those who do not cover out of being misguided. I do not consider these as sinners. Most pastors misguide their congregation in this matter because they do not want to lose count of people by holding the truth. But God's judgment is very clear on those who teach others to ignore even a small commandment of God.

Those whom I called rebellious are those who heard the truth clearly and still rebels against it. I do not want to judge them as sinners or unrepentant. Let God be their judge. The word rebellious is good enough. No more clarification is needed.

Quote:

When you use words like rebellion the suggestion is that the woman not covering her head is sinning. You might think that but you should keep that to yourself so you do not burden with other women with your thoughts on the matter.

Please go ahead and read my posts again. I have clearly mentioned that I do not want any women to cover her head because I said so. Also no where did I try to put the biblical truth behind covering (because that will lead to arguments by those who have no respect for biblical truth). I only said from the perspective of receiving grace in submission by being humble and obeying a doable command from God. I do not believe it will be stumbling block to anyone. Humility should never be a burden to a born again women.
I am a man who measures his words.

2014/6/24 14:42Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

As to the original question posted, church history bears witness that these verses are speaking unequivocally of an actual physical covering, a symbol that can be seen by men and angels. It was the practice of the vast majority of Christian women until the 20th century.

And in 20th century the culture for angels did not change suddenly. What happened here was the feminist movement was born. Women started questioning submission and it started with the symbol of submission.

2014/6/24 14:46Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I kind of like it when women wear hats. I have memories if my grandmother wearing a hat to church.

I told my wife that she needed to wear a hat to church to demonstrate her submission to me and she told me to shut up and mind my own business.

2014/6/24 16:11Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

I read that book. It was very clearly written. I will definitely be holding on to this and using it as my first response when I am asked this question. Thanks for posting!

2014/6/24 17:58Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Sadly, this reminds me of all the threads that get shut down because eventually these discussions move to, "The 'Lord' showed me...." which is incognito for: obviously you're not listening because if you were...(fill in the blank with whatever). Same as the pre-trib/post-trib threads.

If you want to wear a head-covering, by all means wear them!! I don't wear them and I'm ok with not defending why I don't and I know the Lord loves all of us where we are at!

God bless you all trying to figure this out,
Lisa

2014/6/24 18:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy