SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : is head covering literal or spiritual

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
havok20x

Re:

Can we not debate on this again.

2014/6/23 22:11Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
The only point I am trying to make is that it is not a sin to not wear a head covering and nobody has the right to say that it is.

Thank you for clarifying this brother, your comment could have been taken the other way also. I am glad you shared that it is NOT a sin issue and especially not a salvation issue. It is a relationship issue and more of an issue also of the heart
yet it is also something practical that can be obeyed.

It would be great for those interested to review the very short booklet on this subject by brother KP Yohannan it could stir very profitable discussion and considerations.

(Pdf Book) Head Coverings by K.P. Yohannan
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=25173

2014/6/23 22:57Profile
Sree

Husbands cover your face

I believe that Head covering is a command given for women in Bible as a sign to angels. Hence there is no cultural aspect to it. Also there are very few such external commands given in New Covenant, hence we should be diligent in following them without asking questions.

I agree that it is not a salvation issue. Head covering is a sign that a women submits to her husband. If a women is honest and if she truly understood the meaning of biblical submission (not the modern feminist view) then she will acknowledge how challenging it is to submit. I am not saying it is impossible but it is truly challenging. Similarly in New Covenant it is written that Husbands should love their wife like how Christ loves his Church. Now anyone who understood the true love that Christ has for his Church then he will acknowledge how challenging it is for him to meet this standard in his married life. I acknowledge the challenge and I want God's grace and strength in this subject as much as possible to meet that standard.

Now if there was a command given to husbands like you should cover your face in Church as a symbol of your love for your wife then I will do it, no matter who follows it or not, I will follow it. I will not research and add cultural aspect to it. I will do it not because I fear that I will lose my salvation, but because I want to do all that I can to get his grace so that I can love my wife the way he wants me to love. I do not want my rebellion in this simple external command to stand in the way between me and God and prevent me from getting his Grace. Someone might argue that I am trying to earn his Grace, but God's word states that he gives his grace only to Humble and opposes the pride. The humble will obey the commands that they can keep immediately. Covering my face is a simple command that I can obey, to show God how much I need his grace in this matter of loving my wife. There is no such command for husbands in the Church.

So in my view a honest, humble and broken women who truly understood the biblical meaning of submission will cover her head in Church. There are those who do not know the truth or those who are misguided by Pastors saying that this is a cultural command. It is fine if they ignore out of ignorance, I pray that God will show them the truth.

But there are women who even after knowing the truth out of rebellion do not want to cover their head. For example in a Church run by one of the Son's of Zac Pooenen in US, there was a study made on Head Covering. They did a detailed study looking into all aspect of it. By the end of the study those women in Ignorance got light and started covering their head in Church, but those rebellious one left the Church forcing their family to leave as well. No one forced them to cover, the truth was presented openly. Not many can accept the truth.

2014/6/24 1:01Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Husbands cover your face

Sree-

In your opinion is it a sin for a woman not to cover her head in church- for example- those women that left the church you talked about? In your view are they unrepentant sinners?

2014/6/24 6:23Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

Sree-

In your opinion is it a sin for a woman not to cover her head in church- for example- those women that left the church you talked about? In your view are they unrepentant sinners?

No I will not call it a sin. Head covering is not an issue of salvation. A women can ignore this command out of ignorance or misguided by pastor. Those who left the Church after a detailed study was done did not do it in ignorance. It was rebellion for a simple command. I will call them unbroken people, I do not want to call them unsaved or unrepentant. A person needs to be broken to be of any use to God.

2014/6/24 8:56Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Sree

I appreciate your sharing what you feel the LORD showing you on this topic. I don't believe wearing the head covering is a salvation issue either. I have studied this matter, I have prayed about it, and so has my husband. After much seeking my husband has told me he does not believe I am to wear a literal head cover. I have spoken to other brothers and sisters in CHRIST as well and they have no such custom as to require a head cover. I do not believe I am in rebellion to my husband by not wearing a head cover since he is the head of our family and has sought the LORD on this topic. I also do not believe I am acting in ignorance of what the BIBLE says on the matter.

Again thank you for sharing this here with us.

God Bless
maryjane

2014/6/24 9:10Profile
Sree

Re:

MJ, I appreciate your response. Paul advices sisters to consult their husband on spiritual questions. You did right by seeking his opinion. I do not want anyone here who read my post to change just because I said so. I do not want to be a stumbling block to anyone. Even though what I said is truth, if someone just follows blindly after reading my post without getting a personal conviction then the covering will always be a burden to them.
I just expressed my view. I do not want to Judge anyone here.

2014/6/24 10:02Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

I believe there are good arguments on both sides of this debate. I lean toward the view of the literal covering being a cultural issue, and for women today a matter of obeying the spirit of it and not the letter.

I looked at Matthew Henry's commentary on it and found it very interesting. Here is the link to it in case anyone is interested:

http://www.ewordtoday.com/comments/1corinthians/mh/1corinthians11.htm

2014/6/24 11:06Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Sree wrote:

"It was rebellion for a simple command"

But you also said you would not call them unrepentant.

If rebellion is not unrepentance then what is?

This is a matter where there is freedom. A woman who does not wear a head covering is not in rebellion. A woman who feels they should wear one should wear one.

When you use words like rebellion the suggestion is that the woman not covering her head is sinning. You might think that but you should keep that to yourself so you do not burden with other women with your thoughts on the matter.

I honestly think The Lord just shakes his head over these discussions.

2014/6/24 11:13Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Respectfully, if those on the side of literal head coverings are right, it most definitely is a sin issue and women not wearing them are indeed sinning. And even on the other hand if those on the side of not wearing one are right it can still be a sin issue in that those wearing a covering may be placing an unnecessary burden on others. But it is not a “sin issue” over which there should be any kind of division.

I would compare this with other "sin issues" such as gluttony or smoking cigarettes. These things are sins but those involved with them may not have enough light or conviction of the Holy Spirit on them yet. The Lord may still be working on believers regarding these things and there needs to be room for growth in these areas.

In some form or another we all sin sort of unknowingly at times. Some of us may drink too much coffee, some may watch too much TV, some may work too much, etc. We must discern what essential sin issues are and what sin issues not worth dividing or arguing over are.

2014/6/24 12:21Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy