SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How do your Gospel Fellowships get unsaved people to attend?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
dolfan

Alabama

How do your Gospel Fellowships get unsaved people to attend?

As we prepare to do this from our home, we are not settled in what to do in approaching invitations. Here is what we are praying:

Lord, please bring us to or bring to us a handful of people who have no experience with You, who do not profess to know You or to be Christian or born again or any other phrasing that implies relationship with You, who would be willing to sit for an hour or so in our home to discuss You and hear about You and enjoy a snack and a soft drink or sweet tea.

We could do any number of things, I suppose, to invite people. But, this is our last hope to do what God is doing unless He shows us something different. We are at the point of desperation that nothing matters EXCEPT God saving people truly, radically and utterly. No more games. No more pretense. No more of the mess that "church" is.

So, as my next question for those meeting in your homes, what did you do/have you done to begin?

2014/6/15 20:49Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re: How do your Gospel Fellowships get unsaved people to attend?

I would definitely trust the Lord to bring those He wants to bring to your home. Also, be careful to label who is saved and who is unsaved, the Lord knows those who are His and sometimes they don't look like "saved" people look!! :)

I was converted in a church that 1. ministered to the Lord AND 2. fed the sheep; they didn't cater to bringing in the lost, does that make sense? I mean the lost found their way there (when the Lord brought them b/c He brought me!) but their ministry was primarily to God and feeding God’s sheep.

They were a relatively small church and stayed small throughout the years because of their vision to serve the Lord and not man; but the people that this little country church in Podunk Indiana helped throughout the years was probably in the tens of thousands. The Lord told them they were like a weigh station for others to come & rest for awhile and then take what they received BACK to their churches.

God bless your endeavors for the Lord,
Lisa

PS: Also, on SI is a pdf by Watchman Nee: Ministry to the Lord
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=6923

2014/6/16 3:49Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Re:

I will read the Nee document and I appreciate the encouragement.

What we are not doing is simply being an outlet or alternate for the disaffected. We are not disaffected with church. We are fully invested in our local church, but there is a hole in what we are doing. Lost people are flooding by.

We have decided that our home is an outpost, an outreach station of our church. We already have three "members": my wife, our daughter and myself. There is no reason why lost people can't be faced in love with the truth of the gospel. We are simply not doing it.

We don't want to just give a place for saved people to be fed, although certainly as people are saved we want to feed and we will fully encourage them to be part of a larger local church, ours or another as they are led. But, the heartbreak and the mission are the unbelievers. If we cast nets on those waters and believers are "caught" then so be it and we will get them equipped and on board to grow and edify.

I am about to go home early from work and begin some space making in the garage. We will have it painted, get some furnishing in there and go forward. I had a trial set today, and I asked The Lord that, if in justice, the accuser of my client would not come could I go work on this. The accuser failed to show, the case was dismissed and I am about to head to the house. It is a compelling urge that my wife and I are just....spiritually unable in a way to resist.

Please pray for us to obey God. It is His glory that matters.

2014/6/16 11:23Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
We don't want to just give a place for saved people to be fed, although certainly as people are saved we want to feed and we will fully encourage them to be part of a larger local church, ours or another as they are led. But, the heartbreak and the mission are the unbelievers. If we cast nets on those waters and believers are "caught" then so be it and we will get them equipped and on board to grow and edify.

Praise God for the vision the Lord is giving you. You want those spiritually hunger that you can disciple feed and have them raised up to be witnesses to share with others. You want to see baptisms of people coming to the Lord not a holy huddle till Christ comes. There is a lost world and we need to be witnesses and lights. Do be open to a few other already saved believers helping only if they share the vision and will not put a damper on what you are doing.

Christianity is never perfect but it is growing. If we are not growing in numbers that is the great problem. If a tree stops producing fruit it is to be cut down. The by-product and purpose of fruit is SEED to produce OTHER trees.

2014/6/16 11:46Profile
Lordoitagain

Monroe, LA - USA

Good question.

Our fellowship is in a home. I have tried to share my vision with our other brethren of “bringing it to where they are” as Jesus said:

Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

I try to bring God’s word to where they are (in the store, at work … etc.), but if I feel led I tell them that we have weekly meetings in our home if they are interested or I can meet with them at their homes if they’d like. Invitations to “come and see” are scriptural … as Philip did with Nathanael:

Joh 1:45 Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.
Joh 1:46 And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.

Inviting (as Philip did) is one thing. Attempting to attract is another. Any earthly “bait” used other than simply informing that we meet to discuss God’s Word gets you into the mess of the modern church world.

2014/6/16 12:07Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Re:

Lordoitagain, I hear you my friend. For years, we were part of a seeker model church, fully into the effort. I served as an elder there. It was the darkest time of my Christian life. We left it 7 years ago and never looked back. If you are going to live by gimmicks and attractions, you better be ready to always up the ante unless you are willing to lose people to someone else's bigger and better show, because that is all you are giving them. No baiting. Praying, telling, waiting.

2014/6/16 12:12Profile
Lordoitagain

Monroe, LA - USA

Re:

The saddest part is looking back on the years that you spent in that fashion and the torn up lives strewn all over the universe that you had SO hoped to help in your misguided sincere efforts.

Even though the church that I was in wasn't into all of the modern big show gimmicks, its program was still misguided by the same types of earthly drawing tactics. After all of the rockathons, pizza dinners, recreations, camp outs ... in an effort to prove that "you can be a Christian and still have fun" and eventually hope to win them ... I look back and say: "where are they?" and that is a deeply disappointing heart breaking feeling.

2014/6/16 17:55Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Re:

You know, Lordoitagain, you are so right. Not that we were sincere -- we were, but that is scary in itself -- but that lives were torn up and strewn. Just today, ironically, I was in a courtroom going over a jury list. There were two people in the jury pool from that church, one of them the pastor's daughter. Well, one of the pastors---I personally fired her father and we replaced him. That whole episode was attributable to what we were. All of us.

Another of the ladies from that church was in the pool; she and her husband are very wealthy and did all they could to buy their way into leadership. They didn't but they did leave and bought...no kidding....another church. Bought it. Put it in a new state of the art building with $250K in lights and sound equipment. THAT church showed R rated movie clips with profanity not edited out, the men drank beer on the premises, and FINALLY after 4 years of it the wealthy benefactors grew bored with it and left and sold the building out from under the church. The church just sold their stuff and moved into a rented movie theater.

There was a third lady from that old seeker church in court today, too, in a way. She was a relative of one of the people involved in the case I was working on. She died while we were still part of the seeker church. She was heavy on my mind this morning. She left a teenage daughter and two small sons and a lost husband. My wife and I once paid for the daughter to go to a leadership camp in middle school. After the mother died, we had done nothing to equip them. The daughter quit school and had an out of wedlock baby. They all ultimately moved back to the Midwest where they came to Alabama from. Lives strewn, torn is right.

The old seeker church we left is now a very large seeker church that openly baptized open lesbians. I personally know the ones they baptized. The leadership we provided gave a firm foundation for apostasy and reprobation. Oh, and the whole leadership team that we left eventually was overthrown by the folks there now. A real legacy of destruction.

We can't say we didn't know. We knew better. We just chose to ignore the truth and bought a really attractive lie. Church growth is like a narcotic.
It is also the most vacant mindset. I am thankful that God saved us, rescued us from it. The only consolation I have is that we were not good at it, personally. Somewhere in there I hope that was God's way of keeping us from doing even greater harm.

He is merciful.

2014/6/16 22:39Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

A brother not registered on the forums wanted to add into the conversation to help encourage he wrote:

" we understand we are ALL called in the "ministry of reconciliation" in whatever our own sphere of influence is. Whether that be blood family members, coworkers, neighbors, etc. Our job is preach the Gospel & tell the world what God has done for us in Christ! But the Gospel is always our focus. Not felt needs (though we are not to be insensitive) or what makes people have temporary comfort/relief, but exhort & encourage each other to focus on preaching the Gospel of Christ & Him crucified, the Power of God unto salvation. Apart from being Born Again, nothing else really matters. We are careful to remind each other that the call of the scriptures is clear: preach the Gospel & make disciples.
For one brother/elder whom The Lord appointed, His full time ministry is to the Body, & else wise on the street's preaching. Preaching wherever, but particularly here in the worst part of town, as The Lord has led. Where the prostitutes, drug dealers, gang members, etc. are. Not preaching "God hates the wicked", nor "it's ok to be just as you are", but that we all were vile, rebellious, & bound, but Christ set us free! We believed the Gospel & repented of our sins & He saved us, delivered us, & has made us sons by the spirit of adoption! But we must focus on the Gospel through & through! God chose the foolishness of preaching the Gospel to save men, & the work & results are all His: its only ours to be faithful! That elder brother preaches outside the welfare health & human services department 5 mornings a week as the line forms an hour before opening. One day each week, another brother goes with him & preaches, & another day, yet another brother."
-brother Jeff

2014/6/17 13:08Profile
jujashan4

Thanks Greg and brother Jeff.

Dolfan with regard to your initial question.
From my understanding I don't think the primary idea of Gospel Fellowships are to invite unbelievers. They are for the meeting of believers under the headship of Christ.

2014/6/19 23:03Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy