SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Random Sermon of the Week (6/15/14-6/21/14)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
havok20x

Random Sermon of the Week (6/15/14-6/21/14)

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=11222&commentView=itemComments

Title: Progress of Redemption (#2)
Speaker: David Shirley

2014/6/15 9:34Profile
mama27

Re: Random Sermon of the Week (6/15/14-6/21/14)

I haven't commented, but I like this idea you've started about discussing a sermon each week. I have been blessed by the messages, as well as people's comments. Thank you for another one - I look forward to listening :)

2014/6/15 16:39Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I agree mama.

I will listen on commute tomorrow.

2014/6/15 17:12Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Well I listened but it was rough.

I am going to say something that is probably going to be controversial-- actually it is something my pastor said but that I happen to agree with, namely--

That it is inexcusable to bore people with the word of God.

I found the content to be good but it was dry as dust.

Obviously this is just my probably cruddy opinion.

2014/6/16 9:19Profile
havok20x

Re: A very good basic outline

This is apparently part of a teaching series, talking about the progression of the revelation of redemption. It is seems like something I would definitely use to teach new believers. I like how he asks questions in the middle of the teaching for us to think about.

He said some fairly profound things:

1) "...And received him back as a type, which points forward [from] Mt. Moriah to Mt. Calvary, where God received back His Son, Jesus Christ, from the dead through the resurrection..."

I love that story. It is an absolutely beautiful foreshadowing of the coming Messiah. So cool.

2) "It's God's will and God's intention that we be different from the world and from the system of the world."

I wish that we (myself included) could understand and live this reality more. As I exam myself, I find so much influence from the world. Thank the Lord that He is transforming me day-to-day!

Concerning the delivery of the message:

God does not need preachers who yell or preachers who pound on pulpits or preachers who cry or preachers who appeal to emotions. God doesn't need preachers...period. It is through the foolishness of preaching that the Gospel is proclaimed. God uses the weak things (and preaching is just that) of this world to shame the wise.

This man may not have been emotional, and his teaching only facts-driven; however, God doesn't need any of those things we so typically hear in "powerful" sermons in order to change our lives. He does use them, but He definitely could just use a donkey or a rock and turn the whole world upside-down with those.

He doesn't need us at all to gain fame for Himself.

2014/6/18 14:49Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Yes it appears to be a series on the "scarlet thread of redemption" that runs through scripture. A fascinating and worthwhile study.

I agree that God can use whoever or whatever he wants. But I don't think it has to be boring. I am very excited by studying scripture so it is hard to make it boring. I like this quote:

"If you think the gathering of biblical facts and standing up with a Bible in your hand will automatically equip you to communicate well, you are desperately mistaken. It will not. You must work at being interesting. Boredom is a gross violation, being dull is a grave offense, and irrelevance is a disgrace to the gospel. Too often these three crimes go unpunished and we preachers are the criminals." ~ Charles Swindoll

In regard to Mt. Moriah I have heard or read that this is at or very near Golgotha. When I first heard that I was floored.

2014/6/18 15:55Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy