SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is absolute surrender?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: Absolute surrender is at the very heart of discipleship, because it takes a total surrender to fully follow Jesus. "Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man would come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me." (Matthew 16:24).

What is the Goal of the Christian Life?

It is DEATH!!!!! So Christ may live through us!

With that said: Absolute surrender = Absolute death.

2014/6/15 18:39Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
murrcolr.....Absolute surrender is at the very heart of discipleship, because it takes a total surrender to fully follow Jesus. "Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man would come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me." (Matthew 16:24).

What is the Goal of the Christian Life?

It is DEATH!!!!! So Christ may live through us!

With that said: Absolute surrender = Absolute death.

Exactly! that's why I said this earlier in this thread:

"What is absolute surrender? I don't know, I haven't been there yet."

2014/6/15 19:04Profile

Re:

The last two replies to this thread made me smile. Oh how words and phrases can be used but mean the exact opposite to different people.

I would like to clarify as simply as I know how.......

When I came to Jesus, I absolutely surrendered my life unconditionally, holding nothing back in the depths of my heart. God saw this, a God who is well able to differentiate from what is genuine and what is not and accepted my genuine unconditional surrender. I now belonged to Him. He had already paid the price for whoever would come and accept His terms, unconditional surrender, the Blood of Jesus. The old Frank died. I was given a new heart. There were remarkable transformations in this new creature. Delivered right away from drugs, alcohol and a foul tongue. This new heart could actually feel, the old heart had been one of steel. This new heart had zero desire to disappoint the one it loved. The man was far from perfect, but I was, to use a theological term, justified in the sight of my Lord and my God. I was baptized in water shortly after this. Then about six months after that, I was baptized in the Holy Spirit and was filled with an incredible boldness, which actually is my abiding memory of this initial baptism in the Spirit, although it did come with tongues.

All along way from then till now I have been in the process of being sanctified. God is taking from me, slowly but surely, what was given to Him, my whole life holding nothing back. There have been countless trials, coals of fire, refining furnace situations, brokenness on many occasions and of course this is all only one side of the equation, one side of the coin. The other side, which makes all trials seem like mere rubbish, is, as the Scriptures tell us, to be found in Him, to " Know," Him, to walk in His presence and in His fellowship in an eternal fountain of living water that quenches every fiery trial.

And so one must surrender one's life, holding nothing back in the depths of their heart to be renewed and found in Him. The more foul the depths of the sinner, the more dramatic the surrender, but in any case no matter who, it is a dramatic thing to give up one's life and hand it away to be killed. My own wife, whom I had been married to for ten years when I came to Christ mourned the loss of the husband that she knew and saw a man whom she said was " obsessed with Jesus." I was and am guilty of that charge. The old Frank may have died, but the Frank that was always meant to be came forward in life, the life of Jesus, and that life more abundantly than I could have ever imagined.................bro Frank

2014/6/15 20:43
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"When I came to Jesus, I absolutely surrendered my life unconditionally, holding nothing back in the depths of my heart. God saw this, a God who is well able to differentiate from what is genuine and what is not and accepted my genuine unconditional surrender. I now belonged to Him. He had already paid the price for whoever would come and accept His terms, unconditional surrender, the Blood of Jesus. The old Frank died. I was given a new heart."

Brother Frank,

What you described is the way that it should be when we come to Jesus and are saved. There should be an absolute surrender, but I wonder how often this is really the case.

Many people come to Jesus because they are convicted of their sins and realize that they are going to hell, and to them receiving Jesus is escaping hell. Many others come to Jesus because they want to be free from the bondage that the sin in their lives has resulted in.

There should be an absolute surrender at our initial salvation, and this should be taught by those that are preaching or sharing the gospel.

Mike

2014/6/15 21:46Profile

Re:

I should have added brother Mike that the life that I gave Him was wretched and only good to be burned. I knew this and I remember thinking " Here it is Lord, such as it is." I gave Him nothing, He gave me everything. I gave Him ashes, He gave me beauty. I gave Him a sin drenched life and He gave me His precious Blood drenched life.

I still believe brother, that one must give, initially, their whole life to Jesus and mean it in their hearts whether they are doing it because they are convicted of sin ( a great reason to give Him our lives) or one is looking for freedom from bondage( oh how I love Isaiah 61) or a combination of many things, but it all must lead to the giving up of one's life, the surrender. Would you not agree? .......bro Frank

2014/6/15 22:34

Re:

From those heady days of 'absolute surrender', can any here say that they absolutely continued in exactly the same way? Is their love for Jesus exactly the same? Or have they slipped from that? Are you still absolutely surrendered?

2014/6/16 3:00
brothagary

Re:

I dont think I agree with any here

I feel that the power to surrender in an absault way ,,which is not realy a good word to use ,,

comes down the track as were learn by the spirit what it means to surrender all

in our flesh or our old man ,we have no ability or want to surrender our life even to death of our bodies , towards god ,,,but the spirit must teach us how important it is and he must work in us to will and to do because ,,it is also a doing and not just a heart movement

it is a form of love your god with all your mind heart soul and strength ,,,and this must to worked out in our actions before god and men

I think we surrendered more and more of our selves and our life to god as we grow in grace , and the lord shows more and more that we have not yielded to him

Paul said to born-again believers to offer your bodies as living sacrifice,,,,,,, he said that to people who could under stand what he was saying ,and to people who obviously had not done that ...... they were already saved ,,,he said holy and acceptable to the lord ,,,,,,,this was not spoke to the filthy sinner to climb upon the alter ,unholy as your are

I don't like the word absolute surrender ,,only Jesus was absolutely surrendered ,,,,,,,thank god we are in Christ and his merits that include Christs life of absolute surrender are given to us as an part of imputed gift of righteousness ,,or else we would all be lost and doomed

that what I want to think about Christ and his life

lets keep our eyes on the righteous one and the perfect life he lived and pray for more mercy and grace

2014/6/16 3:49Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"I still believe brother, that one must give, initially, their whole life to Jesus and mean it in their hearts whether they are doing it because they are convicted of sin ( a great reason to give Him our lives) or one is looking for freedom from bondage( oh how I love Isaiah 61) or a combination of many things, but it all must lead to the giving up of one's life, the surrender. Would you not agree?"

Amen brother! I am in agreement with you, and we only know the full implications of that surrender as we grow in the Lord, and make Him Lord of all.

Mike

2014/6/16 7:55Profile

Re:

I think to absolutely surrender one's life to the Lord is totally abhorrent to men (mankind) that is why so few actually do it ( get saved) Men hang onto their lives for all their worth, with their fingernails even because they want to be the captain of their own soul. To surrender one's life to God seems like weakness and defeat to the world. Yet of course it is the exact opposite. It works out to be strength and victory, His strength, His victory and we are the beneficiaries..............bro Frank

2014/6/16 7:57
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: What is absolute surrender?

What is absolute surrender?

Interesting question...at least BillPro was honest about it - he felt like he has not achieved it yet! If we are honest about it we would have to agree it is not a one time event but a continuous one - Paul says "I die daily."

Someone on here a long time ago said if I argue with the Holy Spirit or the WORD I am not surrendered to Him. I think he is right. You do not argue with an authority figure: It is "Yes, Sir!"

This concept challenges me every time I tend to argue with the Holy Spirit when He tells me to do something I do not want to do.

I must needs die daily to my own logic, self-will. Only then will I make a fit partner to be yoked together with the LORD. If one of the team members digs in his heels, ya ain't goin' anywheres.

And I want to go.

2014/6/16 8:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy