SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Wigglesworth Quote

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Wigglesworth Quote

Love the new Wigglesworth quote on the site!

2005/4/14 10:42Profile

Re: Wigglesworth Quote

I beg to differ. The quote is not true, he may have quoted it but that may have been a standard that he held but it is not God's standard.

1Corinth3

6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

It's clear that God does the increasing. If God chooses He can slow the process of growth for a season to show something that He wishes to impart. But as to say that if a man is the same as he was yesterday as he is today causes him to be a backslider, I protest.

My former Pastor had a saying "it's not good for a man to have beard in leadership". That was his opinion, but does it make it right? It's foolishness if you ask me.

There is a saying amongst christians, "God loves the sinner but hates the sin", that is no where in the bible, but yet we believe to be true.

I am not trying to discredit Wigglesworth, no sir. I love the man and his writings, my faith increased after reading "ever increasing faith".

I believe that saying was a standard of his not that it was etched in stone and made to be apart of divine truth.

Stay cool

Karl

2005/4/14 11:44
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I beg to differ. The quote is not true, he may have quoted it but that may have been a standard that he held but it is not God's standard.

The reason why I posted that quote is that I do believe it is true and is a truth that can be shown in Scriptures. I have to run off to class but I can explain in more detail afterwords.

to start here is the top blurb that I sent out in the newsletter that might start to help you understanding this:

Quote:
Dear Subscribers,
Progress and santification in the Christian life is something we need to desire and allow God to bring us into. "This is the will of God, even your santification..." - 1 Thess. 4:3. There is no argument on the matter; it is the will of God that we be mature and become santified more into the image of Christ Jesus sharing in His divine nature. "If you wake up today and are the same as you were yesterday, you are a backslider." -Smith Wigglesworth

"The exceeding great and precious promises of the Word are given to us that we might be partakers of the divine nature. I feel the Holy Ghost is grieved with us because, when we know these things, we do not do greater exploits for God."

"Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature..." 2 Peter 1:4

2005/4/14 11:52Profile

Re: backsliding

As soon as I submitted that post, I said to myself, "Greg will be the next to post his rebuttal". And sure enough, there you were. :-)

Ok, lets say for argument sake that what he said was true. I think what we need to do is define backsliding.

We can draw from Websters but the Word in descriptions does a much better job.

Jer9:2 "Thine own wickedness shall correct thee, and thy backslidings shall reprove thee: know therefore and see that it is an evil thing and bitter, that thou hast forsaken the LORD thy God, and that my fear is not in thee, saith the Lord GOD of hosts."

In the above verse, God connects Backsliding with Forsaking which causes one to lose the fear of God.

Duet28:20 "The LORD shall send upon thee cursing, vexation, and rebuke, in all that thou settest thine hand unto for to do, until thou be destroyed, and until thou perish quickly; because of the wickedness of thy doings, whereby thou hast forsaken me."

Since Backsliding is associated with Forsaken, these are the curses for those who Forsake the LORD.

Just from this alone, we are all dead men.

Yesterday and today I feel the same. Now two days ago is another story, I was different.

The LORD Jesus has been trying to hammer into the First Seek Ye the Kingdom of God principle so that I can be like the lily, they neither toil or spin, they don't worry if they are growing or not, that seed will produce whatever is in that seed. All the makings of a beautiful flower is wrapped in that seed.

And this is a lesson to be learned just as I am thinking about it now, lest I forget it and that is this, that it is not up to us to grow that seed, what we do is take care of it's surroundings. One of things a gardner looks to when he plants his garden is rain. But before any of that the ground must be broken up and harrowed and rows are placed. Then the seed is deposited, all the worms are active the soil has been turned to activate the minerals that have been sitting there idle. There are two things that we can't do and that is we can't send the sun or the rain, those two things are given by God which brings the increase.

The command goes forth, "Hosea10:12 Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the LORD, till he come and rain righteousness upon you."

Breaking up the crusty ground is connected with Seeking the LORD. Seeking the LORD involves the Word and Prayer. It is a known fact that seeds are preserved in dry arid lands, and when the rains come, it softens the ground, that seed is activated when the rain comes, and then we see a garden oasis in the middle of the desert.

Just presenting some arguments bro.

Karl

2005/4/14 12:28
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

Why do I love that quote? Because Wigglesworth (as he always does) spurs the Christian onward! Always onward, never backwards, never stationary. It's not that he was saying "if you aren't different you are backsliding" but rather an encouragement and exhortation to [b]press on[/b]!

2005/4/14 13:13Profile

Re: Thanks Eli

I think with that Eli that you have clarified the whole thing. Indeed we must press on, to stay stationary makes us a canditate to backslide.

Thanks again

Karl

2005/4/14 14:33
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Why do I love that quote? Because Wigglesworth (as he always does) spurs the Christian onward! Always onward, never backwards, never stationary. It's not that he was saying "if you aren't different you are backsliding" but rather an encouragement and exhortation to [b]press on![/b]

Dear brother Eli, you have hit the nail on the head and really the reasoning behind the quotation! praise God. Here are some quotes by Andrew Murray on this same subject of not staying stagnant but moving onward in Him:

"It is possible for a Christian to remain in a sickly infancy all his life, always needing help, instead of being a help."
-Andrew Murray

"I cannot with too much earnestness urge every Christian reader to learn well the two stages of the Christian. There are the carnal, and there are the spiritaul; there are those who remain babes, and those who are full-grown men."
-Andrew Murray

let us go onward to perfection...

Hebrews 6:1: Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrines of Christ, let us [b]go unto perfection[/b]; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God.

2005/4/14 16:26Profile

Re: Amen to perfection

Andrew Murray is right, I have seen too many older saints still drinking from the bottle, still talking about the same old experince, but nothing is ever new. Thanks Eli and Greg for that exhortation to press on.

Karl

2005/4/14 20:59

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy