SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Would you consider an ex-evangelical pastor who converted to Roman-Catholicism as saved?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

I had a friend who was once a solid evangelical. Even trained at a leading evangelical seminary. He converted to the Orthodox Church. When I ask him why. He said the Orthodox Church deepened his experience with Christ.

I am seeing this same trend with those who are embracing Messianic Judiasm. Those who embrace the Jewish Hebrew roots movement claim a richer experience with Christ.

Perhaps the same can be said for those evangelicals who cross the Tiber. I cannot comment on their salvation. But somewhere such people are seeing that Jesus Himself is not enough and feel they need an experience with religion. This is sad.

My thoughts.

Bearmaster

2014/5/22 11:44
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Prior to the Reformation there wasn't much choice other than RC.

So were any of those folks saved?

I would say yes, if they were a disciple of Jesus Christ.

2014/5/22 11:45Profile
leftbehind

Re: Would you consider an ex-evangelical pastor who converted to Roman-Catholicism as

I believe that there were some Catholics saved in the past and who had more doctrinal accuracy... Some people just like the name association and benefits associated with the title of Catholic. For some it's like purchasing the name-brand shoes and clothing, which brings increased access. That doesn't make it right. Some people are saved; just misguided and in need of further training that others don't want to implement. Like a promiscuous lifestyle that may produce a disease, STD, or virus, there are so much epidemic strains of the doctrines and evangelicals today. IT used to be very black and white but now there's much confusion. Only God knows truly and absolutely. Kinda like the Tower of Babel in Genesis 11.

Postmodern Catholics are questionable. This reveals a need for a return to biblical Christianity and ecclesiastical/moral separation. IF we don't know 100%, I would present it as a caution or warning prayerfully. Watch and pray. We don't want to give railing accusations, be slanderers, be gossips, become heresy hunters, be overcritical, be sinfully over-judgmental, ... What if we were in their shoes (rhetorical question)?

I"m sure there were other smaller groups and pockets of saved individuals along the way including the disciples themselves in the bible. Jesus is all! Here are a few other familiar ones that God used:

The Montanists

The Novatians

The Donatists

The Britons

The Celtic Churches Of Ireland

The Paulicians

The Petrobrussians

The Albigenses

The Waldenses

The Anabaptists

2014/5/22 12:37Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Prior to the Reformation there wasn't much choice other than RC.

So were any of those folks saved?

I would say yes, if they were a disciple of Jesus Christ.

Yes, precisely. Prior to Martin Luther, what was there? The RCC was the ubiquitious religious institution. Over the centuries there were various men and women who shone for Christ and displayed a very deep sensitivity for the gospel and the love of God to a lost world. Of these, we can mention luminaries like Fenlon, St. John of the Cross, Guyon, Martin Boos, Savanrola, Brother Lawrence. For the most part, these saints were persecuted by the very institution (the RCC) they so ardently sought to remain faithful to and support. In other words, they refused to leave the "Mother Church", but many preached the gospel just as fearlessly as Whitefield and John Wesley, and some, like Savanrola, were martyred for it.

Of course, the objection that the abovementioned men and women were nothing but apostate mystics will be sounded by some, but that shouldn't matter. Non-RCC Men like Ravenhill, Tozer, John Wesley and others have been influenced by and attest to the authenticity of their ministries, and even writing mini-bios on some of their lives. Plus, some of their sermons and writings are featured here, on SermonIndex.

Salvation is not about being a part of or not being part of the RCC, or being Southern Baptist or Pentecostal or Lutheran or any denominational or nondenominational system for that matter. It is about the advent of the New Birth, which, in itself, is a very mysterious thing! Jesus Himself didn't go into very much detail when asked about it by Nicodemus. He likened it unto the mysterious "blowing of a wind" that no one could precipitate, prognosticate or prevent. If this "blowing" doesn't occur on an individual, then his or her RCC, Presbyterian or Anglican church affiliation is absolutely meaningless.

So the question again must be asked: Can the "blowing" of the Holy Spirit on an individual occur within the confines of the RCC? If the answer is no, then we must objectively prove the stance, which of course is impossible. I've discovered that people who make such blanket sweeps in judgment somehow assume the wind blows on denominations and on church steeples rather than on individuals hungering for God and following Christ in a way different from their own.

2014/5/22 12:49Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Good one Paul!

2014/5/22 13:06Profile
Mangan

Sweden (Northern Europe)

Re:

Just to reiterate: The question is not whether there are catholics who are saved (I assume there might be millions who are saved in spite of RC not because of its teachings) but whether a former evangelical pastor who changes his views and fully accepts all the Roman teachings (for instance the Real Presence of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist as only valid in the RC through the sacrament of the priesthood and necessary for your salvation) should be consider a brother in the Lord.

Magnus

2014/5/22 13:44Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I'm just asking if one would consider a former evangelical pastor converting to Roman Catholicsm and accepting all its teachings on the sacraments (and in particular the eucharist) and so forth as saved?

As one brother stated one could be deceived and still in some way saved yet hurting and grieving Christ and being an example to the possible hurt of many other believers as well-known evangelical pastors have become who convert to Catholicism.

Also once the trust is put in the Roman church or in the Roman sacrament and not in the blood of Christ alone then yes it is possible for one to lose their salvation by putting their hope is something else then Christ. Can there be those in the Roman system that are saved, absolutely. Many are not able to read bibles themselves but some of them could have trust in Christ alone and the Roman church is all they know.

Overall we must not agree with or endorse any believers joining the Roman Catholic church, they do not represent Christianity and they do not represent the truth of the Gospel.

I fully agree with other brothers posts and brother Paul's post that before the reformation most of the believers were in the system of the worsening Catholic system, thus there were true believers though some left the Church others did stay in it and were still of Christ.

2014/5/22 13:45Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Just to reiterate: The question is not whether there are catholics who are saved (I assume there might be millions who are saved in spite of RC not because of its teachings) but whether a former evangelical pastor who changes his views and fully accepts all the Roman teachings (for instance the Real Presence of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist as only valid in the RC through the sacrament of the priesthood and necessary for your salvation) should be consider a brother in the Lord.

Again, brother, this question presupposes the pastor was saved based on his former evangelicalism, for I think the fact that he now is relying upon the Eucharist for his salvation (based upon your premise), indicates he was never genuinely born-again to begin with. "These people left our churches, but they never really belonged with us; otherwise they would have stayed with us. When they left, it proved that they did not belong with us." (I John 2:19)

Perhaps I am wrong, but I cannot grasp how a person can have a saving, biblical knowledge of the truth via authentic Holy Spirit illumination and then turn to the Eucharist salvifically. I would seriously question if he ever knew Jesus Christ to begin with.

2014/5/22 14:31Profile
leftbehind

Re:

"...grasp how a person can have a saving, biblical knowledge of the truth via authentic Holy Spirit illumination and then turn to the Eucharist salvifically. I would seriously question if he ever knew Jesus Christ to begin with."

I agree.

It's true some people were never saved to begin with.

2014/5/22 15:10Profile
Mangan

Sweden (Northern Europe)

Re:

Well, suppose that this hypothetical ex-evangelical pastor came to his catholic conclusion through a revelation from God and through biblical studies where he saw that the catholic dogmas was according to the Word of God. Suppose also that this hypothetical person considers the conversion not so much leaving protestantism as coming into the fuller expression of the faith in the Church that Jesus founded.

When the person says he needs the eucharist for his salvation that salvation is grounded in the finnished work of Christ on the Cross which gives validity to the priestly sacrifice in the mass. And when the person worships the sacramental bread that person do not longer consider the hostia as bread but as the living Christ himself bodily present. And further more all this comes to life and reality through faith and so on.

Such a person would clearly see himself as saved..

Take heed lest you fall: Romanism is on the move in our secularized western countries attracting a lot of people who are tired of shallow worship and lack of historical roots.

Sincerely Magnus

2014/5/23 7:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy