Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Eating right

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

haha I'm about 137lbs now and 3.5% body fat:) People ask me how is it I stay in such good shape and what diet am I on. I don't do diets...I just eat everything in moderation, so I may have a double-meat burger with bacon...just not every other meal.

2005/4/13 22:39Profile

Re:

Quote:
I agree that gluttony is wrong and have wondered whether it is just as bad a sin as perhaps drinking too much only it just doesn't have such detrimental effects! I suppose it is as there are no degrees of sin.

I hear people say "[i]there are no degrees of sin[/i]" ... and I have to wonder how they view this passage of scripture:

John 19:10-11 [i]Then saith Pilate unto him, "Speakest thou not unto me? knowest thou not that I have power to crucify thee, and have power to release thee?" Jesus answered, "Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the [b]greater sin[/b]".[/i]

John Gill's commentary says of this:

[i]"Pilate had been guilty of sin already in scourging Christ, and suffering the Roman soldiers to abuse him; and would be guilty of a greater in delivering him up to be crucified, who he knew was innocent: but the sin of Judas in delivering him into the hands of the chief priests and elders, and of the chief priest and elders and people of the Jews, in delivering him to Pilate to crucify him, according to the Roman manner, were greater, inasmuch as theirs proceeded from malice and envy, and was done against greater light and knowledge; for by his works, miracles, and ministry, as well as by their own prophecies, they might, or must have known, that he was the Messiah, and Son of God: and it is to be observed, that as [b]there is a difference in sin, and that all sins are not equal[/b], the circumstances of things making an alteration; so that God's decree concerning the delivery of his Son into the hands of sinful men, does not excuse the sin of the betrayers of him."[/i]

Matthew Henry says this:

[i]Yet theirs that delivered him to Pilate was the greater sin. By this [b]it appears that all sins are not equal[/b], but some more heinous than others; some comparatively as gnats, others as camels; some as motes in the eyes, others as beams; some as pence, others as pounds.[/i]

Altho any sin at all can damn us to hellfire without Christ's blood covering our sin, it is not true that there is no degree of sin... plainly there is, and most theologians agree.

Just something to... chew on... no pun intended. (OK, maybe the pun [i]was[/i] intended! Sue me.)

Krispy

2005/4/14 8:22

Re: chomp chomp chomp......gulp

Krispy wrote:

Quote:
just something to... chew on

To chew on indeed. I subscribe to that as well that not all sins are equal.

When we consider the ultimate of sins in that blasphemy against the holy Spirit, one can never be forgiven. That alone sets that sin apart from the rest.

Then 1John5 speaks about a sin that is unto death, and who in their right mind would pray for it.

16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

This a good point to bring up.

What he is talking about eludes us or at least me.

Karl

2005/4/14 8:49
mtembezi

Nairobi, Kenya

Re: Eating right

I thank God for this thread.
I'm overweight, though I don't know the details...
Just this week I decided to get serious with the 'little' sins I allow myself to live with, and inspired by one of Rev Wilkerson's sermons about a devotional life, I took 'walking with God' literally.
By His grace I walk from 6-6:30am and take time to pray.
And sometimes, when the car's down, I walk another 30min to work, and I often use the time to pray.

Before the Lord changed me, I used to spend 2-3 hours daily at the gym and my closet life was listening to gospel music and watching TBN.
I could easily wake up at 5am to go and work out and couldn't spend my first 30min with the Lord, in prayer or Bible reading.

I'm praying for grace and wisdom to find a reasonable way of exercising both my hearts, keep one on fire and the other merrily beating.

This morning I wrestled about what to call the condition; sin? problem?
What's the standard?
Appetite or metabolism?
I think it comes down to Holy Spirit's fruit of self control versus self-indulgence.
Thoughts, anyone?

2005/4/14 11:08Profile
mtembezi

Nairobi, Kenya

Re: Eating right

Ooops! Did a double post!
Please ignore!

2005/4/14 11:26Profile
moreofHim

Re: eating right

Quote:
I think it comes down to Holy Spirit's fruit of self control versus self-indulgence.

I do believe this is the main point. Things like eating, sleeping, etc... are not good in excess. Self-discipline and self-control need to be heeded here. Self-denial also comes to mind.

We are to eat to live- not live to eat. :)

Just because we get a new body when we get to heaven, does not give us the right to trash the one we have now. Those of us who can move freely and are not paralyzed or bedridden should rejoice and be so thankful that we have this gift of a healthy moving body. Many people don't have that. If our bodies are the temple - shouldn't we take some care of it?

We do not need to go to extremes. Walking is the most healthy thing you can do. (I love how Oswald Chambers took long walks).

Many saints of old practiced moderation in their eating and in other things too.

We should not be a slave to anything- food, or desires, or even exercise.

Finding a healthy balance is not easy- especialy for those who struggle. But I believe that if you let the Holy Spirit speak to you on these issues, the Lord can renew your mind show you what to do.

In Him, Chanin

2005/4/14 12:43Profile
mtembezi

Nairobi, Kenya

Thanks Chanin

Quote:

Finding a healthy balance is not easy- especialy for those who struggle. But I believe that if you let the Holy Spirit speak to you on these issues, the Lord can renew your mind show you what to do.

Over a month later, not overeating and I'm still putting on the pounds!
I've got a snail's metabolism!

Funny, I don't want to fast because I don't think I will be sincere.
I'd rather call one a diet and another a fast.

But a fast can quickly become a diet!
:-)

About the walks. Not any more!
Perhaps the secret to successful and consistent activity is not to talk about it!

Just - kind of - do and don't say!

Probably try again tomorrow. (Didn't say that.)
In Christ
Richard

2005/5/24 11:41Profile
mtembezi

Nairobi, Kenya

Double post... please ignore!

2005/5/24 11:43Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy