SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : 6 Really Bad Charismatic Doctrines That Should Be Retired

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Solomon101

America's Heartand

6 Really Bad Charismatic Doctrines That Should Be Retired

J. Lee Grady hits the nail on the head in this latest email article.

Article Begins:

I will never apologize for being a charismatic Christian. I had a dramatic experience with the Holy Spirit many years ago, and nobody can talk me out of it. I love the Holy Spirit’s abiding presence in my life and His supernatural gifts. I love to prophesy, speak in tongues, pray for the sick and see people changed by the Spirit’s power.

At the same time, I’m aware that since the charismatic movement began in the 1960s, people have misused the gifts of the Spirit and twisted God’s Word to promote strange doctrines or practices. Seeing these errors never caused me to question the authenticity of what the Holy Spirit had done in my life. But I knew I had to stay true to God’s Word and reject any false teachings I encountered.

My simple rule is based on 1 Thessalonians 5:21-22: “But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good; abstain from every form of evil” (NASB). In other words: Eat the meat and spit out the bones.

As I have traveled throughout the body of Christ in recent years, I’ve experienced the good, the bad and the ugly. I love God’s people, and I know there is a healthy remnant of Spirit-filled churches that are striving to stay grounded in biblical truth. But I also know we have reached a crossroads. We must clean up our act. We must jettison any weird doctrines we might have believed or practiced that are hindering our growth today.

Here are a few of the worst errors that have circulated in our movement in the past season. You may have others that need to be added to this list. I believe we are grieving the Holy Spirit if we continue to practice these things:

1. "Touch not My anointed." Chances are you’ve heard this weird doctrine based on 1 Chronicles 16:22. In an attempt to discourage any form of disagreement in the church, insecure leaders tell their members that if they ever question church authority, they are “touching the Lord’s anointed” and in danger of God’s judgment. Let’s call this what it is: spiritual manipulation. It creates worse problems by ruling out healthy discussion and mutual respect. Church members end up being abused or controlled—or even blacklisted because they dare to ask a question.

2. Dual covenant. We charismatics love and respect Israel. Some of us even incorporate Jewish practices in our worship—such as wearing prayer shawls, blowing shofars or celebrating Hebraic feasts. These things can enrich our Christian experience—but some leaders go too far when they begin to teach that Jews don’t need to believe in Jesus Christ to experience salvation. They imply that Jews have special access into heaven simply because of their ethnic heritage. This is a flagrant contradiction of everything the New Testament teaches.

3. Inaccessible leadership. In the 1980s, some charismatic ministries began to teach pastors and traveling ministers that in order to “protect the anointing,” they must stay aloof from people. Ministers were warned to never make friends in their congregations. Preachers began the strange practice of skipping worship on Sunday mornings—and then appearing on the stage only when it was time for the sermon in order to make a dramatic entrance. Shame on these people for attempting to justify arrogance. Jesus loved people, and He made Himself available to them. So should we.

4. Armor-bearers. The same guys who developed item No. 3 started this strange fad. Preachers began the practice of surrounding themselves with an entourage: one person to carry the briefcase, another person to carry the Bible, another to carry the handkerchief. Some preachers hired bodyguards … and even food-tasters! The armor-bearers were promised special blessings if they served preachers who acted like slave-owners. Reminder: True leaders are servants, not egomaniacs.

5. The hundredfold return. Before his death in 2003, Kenneth Hagin Sr., the father of the faith movement, rebuked his own followers for taking prosperity teaching to a silly extreme. In his book The Midas Touch, he begged preachers to stop misusing Mark 10:28-30 to suggest that God promises a hundredfold return on every offering we give. Hagin wrote, “If the hundredfold return worked literally and mathematically for everyone who gave in an offering, we would have Christians walking around with not billions or trillions of dollars, but quadrillions of dollars!” Hagin taught that the hundredfold blessing refers to the rewards that come to those who leave all they have to serve God in ministry.

6. Money cometh. Jesus rebuked the Pharisees for giving money publicly to be seen by others. Yet in the 1990s, some charismatics got the wild idea that God would release a magical blessing if we would drop wads of dollar bills at the preacher’s feet while he was in the middle of his sermon. Leroy Thompson of Louisiana popularized this flamboyant practice with his infamous 1996 sermon, in which he encouraged people to shout in King James English, “Money! Cometh to me now!” Then the people would run to the front of the auditorium to pour cash into his coffers. The money came, for sure, and more cash-hungry preachers jumped on the bandwagon. Taking an offering became a form of exhibitionism, and Christians began viewing their offerings like lottery scratch-offs.

God requires holiness not just in our behavior but also in our doctrine. Let’s discard these and any other foolish teachings that have brought confusion and dishonor to the body of Christ.

end article.

It can be seen in its entirety at
http://www.charismamag.com/blogs/fire-in-my-bones/20325-6-really-bad-charismatic-doctrines-we-should-retire

2014/5/7 11:30Profile
docs

Re: Amen!

I've never heard #2 preached or taught anywhere at any time but I guess it's out there.

What about preachers praying for you and expecting you to go down as if slain in the Spirit because it's part of what is expected of you? Does that need to be retired? What about being told if you do't go down you obviously are blocking the Spirit somehow in your life but you are acutley aware that when you were prayed for you felt or sensed nothing but a good prayer?

Thanks Lee Grady for a good article.

2014/5/7 19:06Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Unfortunately, many other false doctrines can be added to this list. Having been spiritually reared in the charismatic movement as a babe in Christ, trust me when I say Grady's list here is by no means exhaustive :/.

2014/5/7 19:48Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Online!
 Re:

PaulWest quote: "Unfortunately, many other false doctrines can be added to this list. Having been spiritually reared in the charismatic movement as a babe in Christ, trust me when I say Grady's list here is by no means exhaustive :/."

Absolutely agree Paul! He is just skimming the surface with the extremes, but not addressing the core doctrinal errors.
One example is that he quotes Kenneth Hagin Sr as correcting the hundred fold (financial)return teaching, but Hagin still said it applied to those who had given up everything for the gospel (meaning the likes of him). This is still false doctrine and Hagin himself was a false teacher anyway.

Like you I was also reared in the charismatic movement and have come through, holding onto a full gospel understanding, but rejecting most of what goes on in todays Pentecostal/charismatic movement.

2014/5/8 5:03Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re:

People praying for someone's healing thinking they will get the answer because they are commanding it due to their almost God like status that the Lord has put inside us. Instead of the prayer of faith that will raise up the believer from their bed of sickness. Without faith we cannot heal. I think we are losing sight of faith and it's power in healing others. Lord increase our faith, Lord give us the baptism of your Holy Spirit afresh.

2014/5/8 5:57Profile

Re: 6 Really Bad Charismatic Doctrines That Should Be Retired

as the Lord leads:

and this has been on my heart since I began to follow Jesus, as raised in the synagogue, EVERYTHING within the church....ecclesiology, was absolutely NEW to me, 12 years have passed and I have discerned this:

prior to 2002, I believed (not knowing) that Protestantism and Romanism were basically the same, much like the Episcopalian and Presbyterian "churches" were similar, I thought the same of romanism and Protestantism.

Now I know better...HOWEVER, I've noticed that protestant ecclesiology is a form of "rome-lite"....and that has transferred to north American charismatic/Pentecostal churches.

you have a "pastor", at least he doesn't call himself a "little Christ", like the "pope" does, with his "vicar of Christ" blasphemy as the Vicar of Christ is God the Holy Spirit, but that's a whole nother hellish ball of wax.

so you have a "pastor", gets on a platform, with his carefully prepared "3 point" sermon as taught in seminary, this "sermon" should run from 27 to 45 minutes,and the pastor knows if he's running short or long, because usually there is a clock at the back of the church.

OF COURSE there's a clock,because you get a handed a bulletin, giving you the hour and minute EVERYTHING that Sunday is going to happen. depending on the "church", some at 9 AM, some at 9:30 AM.....usually first comes "worship", though there's a 15 minute period, where people can say "hi"....a period to figure what out what various cliques are going to do after church, "Dennys or Applebees?"...or when the football game starts and "hope he doesn't run long".....then worship at precisely 9;45 until 10;15, which depending on the church, might be the assembly singing hymns with no instrumentation, OR you could have a full on band, drums, geetars, fully "rehearsed" and AMP'ed....LOUD, then at 10:15, say "hi" to one another again, then maybe another worship song,before at 10:20-25, the offering plate is passed....make sure the ushers hand out collection envelopes for those checks that get tallied up, so the congregants can take advantage of the tax write off.....then the pastor mounts the platform in front of rows and rows of congregants to deliver his "sermon".

i'm not trying to slam pastors, God forbid, but some get happy happy, and make attempts at stand up comedy, you know, tell a joke or two...others put on a "hair shirt" and audition for the role of John the Baptist....meaning many pastors, no matter how well meaning, no matter how much they love Jesus, feel they have to "perform", for FEAR of boring these passively sitting congregants.

Don't tell me about "performing"....I been doing it all my life, and being a REALLY GOOD performer, I can spot a REALLY BAD performer, in an instant. My performances were always in the realm of the secular, as a JOB.

then near the end, "with every eye closed", the evangelical call is made, for those who have made a "decision".

and then its over.

"so what the problem, neil?"

twofold....chapter and verse, please.....AND Where does God fit into all this? Man made the tradition of this current ecclesiology, which is the same dreary man driven show, week after week.

its all the traditions of man, as I don't find ANYTHING in the Word of God, that would lend itself to the current ecclesiology...which is man driven...or even worse, its rome lite, and begs the question: why do people GO to church....do they go, because they think they'll be a "better person"....or do we GO to meet with God TOGETHER?

I never understood why we don't, in an ekklesia, get down on our faces and beg Jesus to Pastor the meeting. The ONE TIME, I got to do This Heavenly Request....oh Praise God, Jesus pastored a meeting that was heavenly, where 25 of us got to "worship share".

whats "worship share"....Paul outlined it....off the top of my soul,i think in First Corinthians, its the closet any apostle came to outlining ecclesiology...here we go, 1st Corinthians 14

Orderly Worship

26 What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up. 27 If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. 28 But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God. 29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said. 30 If a revelation is made to another sitting there, let the first be silent. 31 For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged, 32 and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets. 33 For God is not a God of confusion but of peace.

1 Corinthians 14;26-33 (ESV)

"When you come together"......that's ekklesia.....church. It was from the Moravinians, I got the Leading to humbly implore Jesus to Pastor this meeting...this "coming together"....and it was from Paul, God gave me the "worship sharing"...ie verse 26:

"What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up."

we were in the home of Mother Mimi, who is now with Jesus, she was a widow, and precious both to God and to me....there were 25 of us, during one of the worst rainstorms in Southern California history, sitting in a circle.......God prevented the pastor, (a brother I love, but no doubt bearing his "sermon) from attending this meeting by dropping a 100 ton boulder on the single mountain road leading to Mother Mimi's. (if you doubt my words, go to google and punch in "Topanga boulder"...you'll see)

and the Holy Ghost just filled me, and God had me outline worship sharing as based on what Paul wrote in that 26th verse, I said, if you have a hymn or song, a passage of Scripture, a testimony, a praise report, a prayer request, voice it one at a time as the LORD leds...only a few guidelines, one person speaks, don't interrupt and leave some space between the brethren speaking, so we can ponder in Jesus, what has been shared....Then on my own, I lead a prayer asking Jesus to Pastor this meeting.....and He did!!

I cant convey to you, what a heavenly Meeting that was, saints giving praise and testimony from real heart experiences, one saint would start a worship song, which we all lifted up to God in unison....no hymn books, prayers of intercession lifted up in tears and shouts, people getting right with God, laying on their faces and dying to self and the flesh, soaking that carpet with tears....I spent a lot of that meeting face down, weeping at my own failings....

and you know what?....There was NO disorder, how could there be?, the Lord Jesus Christ Himself was Pastoring that meeting......and do know how it ended 4 hours later, we all washed each others feet. boys washed boys feet, and girls washed girls....that's when the tears really flowed....and I am NOT speaking of mere emotionalism........Jesus was RIGHT THERE, God the Holy Ghost was given Free Rein, no clocks, no bulletins, no playing "church"....WE were the Church, the Body of Christ that blessed Day.

Now some of you might point out that I stopped at verse 33 in that 14th Chapter of 1st Corinthians.

yes I did, I was about my Father's Business, and I know the Prophesy of Joel:

“And it shall come to pass afterward,
that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh;
your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
your old men shall dream dreams,
and your young men shall see visions.
Even on the male and female servants
in those days I will pour out my Spirit." Joel 2:28-29

I will not be found opposing God and quenching the Holy Spirit, by telling beloved sisters and mothers to silence themselves and if any of you feel like arguing that, save it, I wont answer it.

Now the 6 items in the article, THANK GOD, I've never heard of any of them, I just pray we would FINALLY get out of "rome" and the pro forma, by the numbers "church".

I searched three long years up here for an assembly, and the ONLY criteria I have, is that the church has a prayer meeting....that's what Len Ravenhill taught me, and I've gone to church to church to church.....NEVER with PRE-judgment, only seeking to meet with God....and I go home in tears.

Now, brothers, sisters....who desire to travel over sea, hill and dale in the mission field? search your heart, I got a mission field RIGHT HERE in the middle of the USA, the Driftless Region of Wisconsin, Viroqua Wisconsin, population 4362......if you want to "do church" like all the other 50-70 churches in this small area, be my guest....most of them are United Methodists and Lutherans....do I have to SAY MORE than that?

Houses rent inexpensively, some in the $350-500 area, or for purchase in the 35,000 to 50,000 area.

I have land, and though I am no Zinzendorff, I LONG to "see" a "Hernhutt" up here.....to just get on our faces and pray, "God, You did It before, please do It...BRING REVIVAL, the wood is dry....all it needs is a small company of prayer warriors"....amen.

2014/5/8 9:04
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Like you I was also reared in the charismatic movement and have come through, holding onto a full gospel understanding, but rejecting most of what goes on in todays Pentecostal/charismatic movement.

I know what you mean. When a believer is young in Christ, he or she cannot tell the difference between the works of the soul and the spirit. A teacher can get up and say just about anything in the name of Jesus, and if it feels good and has some sort of Biblical resemblance (usually by way of out-of-context scripture wresting), it is accepted as truth. It may not be for years and years before the falsehood is unmasked, after continuing to walk with the Lord through trials and testings and different seasons. Eventually God lifts the blinders as more light comes in.

There's a lot of bad, even deplorable doctrines out there that most people in these churches just take for gospel truth. To challenge them will cause alienation. I remember once teaching on the error of "pleading" blood of Jesus Christ over objects - inanimate or otherwise. I taught that such a notion was utterly unscriptural. One of the Pentecostal ladies looked like she was ready to tar and feather me. "Pleading the Blood" is just one example of bad theology. The supposed existence of "generational curses" in the new covenant is another example. Dominion spirits over certain geographic locations, getting "prophesied over", binding demons and loosing blessings over situations, "speaking" things into existence, etc. These are pretty much mainline doctrines for much of the pentecostal/charismatic faiths.

2014/5/8 20:38Profile
proudpapa

Re:

In all fairness almost all movements that I am aware of hold to unbiblical or extrabiblical doctrines, The longer that I have been away from the baptist, the more I relieze that so much of what they taught was just not biblical.

I was open to leaving that movement behind and found myself in an anabaptist fellowship, in that movement I have also found what I feel to be unbiblical or extrabiblical doctrines. In the midst of all of this, I found myself considering calvinist/reformed doctrines that I also found what I feel to be unbiblical or extrabiblical doctrines and a very disturbing history.

As far as 'pentecostal/charismatic faiths' I never joined the such, I visited a few such fellowships at various times and was at times a little shocked at certain things.

All of these movements seem to have preachers represented on SI that I greatly respect :

2014/5/8 22:15Profile
proudpapa

Re:

All of these movements seem to have preachers represented on SI that I greatly respect :

anabaptist : Denny and other Charity preachers

calvinist/reformed : Charles Spurgeon

pentecostal/charismatic : David Wilkerson, Hans Waldvogel, Smith Wigglesworth

And the list can just go on with each of these movements and other like movements.

2014/5/8 22:29Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Online!
 Re:

Quote: "In all fairness almost all movements that I am aware of hold to unbiblical or extrabiblical doctrines"

That's a valid point proudpapa. All except 'my' movement that is. Just joking! :) But that is often how we feel.

This is the reason we should not fix ourselves into one particular 'movement' as if that is the possessor of all truth. We need to be teachable by THE great teacher, Christ Jesus through the Holy Spirit.

2014/5/9 5:35Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy