SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Praying for persecution

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lordoitagain

Monroe, LA - USA

Re:

An interesting thing to inject in this discussion is the fact that Jesus prayed: "Father if it be possible let this cup pass from me, nevertheless not my will but thine be done." when he was about to face the worst for us.

If we sincerely pray: "Thy will be done" ... we are praying most appropriately. If in His omniscience He deems persecution as the most glorifying to Him ... may His perfect will be done. If He determines otherwise ... His will be done.

2014/5/4 22:44Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re: Praying for persecution

I could be wrong but when I read the initial post I sensed a tongue in cheek to the suggestion of praying for persecution. But, it caused me to keep reading, and the point is well taken.

Persecuted people sometimes view us as lacking and pray for us instead of asking for our prayers. Some of them see what we are too blinded by pride, affluence and cares of this life to see. And, because of this blindness, we are the real darkness and not they in the lands of their persecutors.

I think the opening paragraph is an honest effort to be ironic and not an actual urging to pray for persecution. At least that is how I understood it.

2014/5/5 8:08Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

While I gladly accept persecution when it comes, and believe God can do great things through a persecuted church, persecution is not something we should actively pray for and seek. Indeed, Jesus said that though we would be persecuted, when we are, we are to flee to the next city. In other words , don't seek to stay around and be persecuted some more.

We pray thy kingdom come, thy will be done.

2014/5/5 8:45Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

As it is, honestly, how do we in fact know that persecuted Christians in China are walking close with the Lord? Such notions smack of misty-eyed romanticism instead of reality. It might make for a good Ravenhill sermon, but it is frankly just bad theology.

Case in point, look at some such as Witness Lee and his movement. If anything they prove that some in China are damnable heretics, and persecution has done little to redeem them. In China you find every problem the church in America has... except maybe bad PowerPoint slides.

They are no better off than us. They are just as blessed as us.

I dare say Christians in China are no more blessed or better off than us in the West. My level of blessing doesn't have much to do with my geography or whether or not somebody has a knife to my throat. I am blessed to the degree I have been made to sit in heavenly places with Christ, and have been blessed with every spiritual blessing. I have been granted by his grace, everything pertaining to life and godliness.

*edited*

2014/5/5 9:16Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

I agree with Narrow Path and Savanna. We
pray for those in authority so that we would
live quite and peaceable lives.

We don't need to pray for persecution
because it comes with the territory. "All
those that live godly in Christ Jesus shall
suffer persecution." (2Timothy 3:12).

"If they have persecuted me, they will
persecute you also." ( John 15:20)

We pray that the Church would be purified
and The Lord will send the refining fire
that will get the job done. Judgement
begins first in the house of God.

Mike

2014/5/5 10:56Profile

Re: Jimmy

And Jimmy how do you know that those in persecuted lands are NOT walking close to the Lord? It has been said that one hour spent in the presence of someone who has suffered for Christ in a persecuted nation will expose shallowness of our Western faith.

I think your assessment of the persecuted church is a bit simplistic I might add brother a little unrealistic.

Blaine

2014/5/5 14:03
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Hi Bear---

I think part of the problem at least for me is the perception that if we are not being persecuted or threatened on a daily basis that we should feel guilty about it. I am sorry about the persecution in Iraq and China but praise God I am not living there. If what you all are saying about persecution is correct then we will be experiencing it here soon enough.

In other words it is not my fault that we in the states are not persecuted like those elsewhere. That is Gods call, not mine. Yes we should be praying for them of course and we need to be ready. But we don't need to feel condemned because we are fortunate enough to be relatively free from persecution here.

2014/5/5 14:16Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

We can make persecution an idol in a weird way.

The saints of the NT church exalted Jesus, not persecution. In fact, Paul gives a lot of "buts" in 2 Cor. 4 to describe how persecuted but not forsaken/abandoned they were. Of course, the persecuted church, real as it is, is not to blame for any romanticizing of it we Americans may do. But, we do glam it up in our minds.

Lord help us to endure our own self inflicted illusions and to see Your light. We dishonor You and Yours when we imagine vainly that the persecuted are somehow immune to temptation, reach super-spiritual status, or are closer to You because of persecution. At the same time, I thank You Lord that You have given them gold purified by fire, that they have in some measure we don't know overcome sin due to suffering in their bodies, that they do not reject You, and that You are glorified by them. I pray that they will endure to the end in faithfulness and truth. I pray that you will wake us from our slumber and revive us still. Cleanse and purify us, O Lord.

2014/5/5 15:10Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Amen!!

2014/5/5 15:16Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Persecution for born again believers come because of the testimony of Jesus Christ.

2014/5/5 15:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy