SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Elders--Married Only?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Elders--Married Only?

I have a question about the qualification of Elders (and deacons).

In 1 timothy 3:2 and Titus 1:6 it seems to say that an elder should be married and have children.

1 Tim 3:4-5 also says, "...one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence (for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?)..."

So I have heard the idea that this can't possible mean that the elder must be married because Paul and Jesus would not have qualified as elders. However, I don't see anywhere where Paul or Jesus actually fulfilled the role of elder (and Jesus is head of the Church, so I don't think it matters, since He is God.) Paul planted churches and appointed (or had someone else appoint) elders in the churches. I can understand that church-planting would be a separate function from eldership. I can also see that a man who plants a church could become an elder in that church if he qualifies. I can also see that a single man who plants a church would relinquish "control" (and that is the wrong word, but the best one I can think of, since we all know that the Lord controls the churches) to an eldership.

Am I wrong in my thinking? What has the Lord shown yall?

2014/4/30 17:55Profile

Re: Elders--Married Only?

married.

2014/4/30 18:48
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Paul functioned as an Apostle and did not necessarily act as an Elder in local assemblies I believe. He appointed Elders though.

Our Lord did speak of eunches for the kingdom of God. As well brother Paul was single and did wish all men where single or at least acted in part like it.

I do see exceptions where brethren could function as an Elder being single or widowed. But as a rule having a physical family helps one to be able to handle the spiritual family of God.

2014/4/30 19:01Profile

Re:

I think in 1 Timothy it speaks of an elder who must manage his household well. The idea being an elder who can take care of this house can shepard the spiritual house of God. This would seem to convey the idea the elder should be married.

Wisdom would suggest that a married elder would be better in counseling on family matters. Particularly in marital issues.

Of course these are only my thoughts.

Blaine

2014/4/30 19:06
proudpapa

That is the wisdom of the Scriptures.

I have thought alot about a recent controversy in which a certain leader claimed that he was so busy pouring his life out into the ministry that he never had the time to marry.
Rather or not the accusations against him be true or not, The position that he held needed to only be held by a married man whom could have a wife by his side while counceling those of the opposite sex, both for there protection as well as his.

2014/4/30 19:52Profile
savannah

"In 1 timothy 3:2 and Titus 1:6 it seems to say that an elder should be married and have children."

What it seems to say,and what it says,is no real difficulty at all.

If you'll read through all the qualifications in both Timothy and Titus you will note that each one is descriptive not of the man's status but of his character,with the exception of 'not a new convert'.

2014/4/30 20:44Profile

Re: Elders

Can a married woman become an elder ? Whats your thoughts

2014/4/30 23:35
Sree

We have an elder in our Church who does not have Children but mighty in deeds and word. He says God has given him so many Children though the Church!

I sincerely believe that if there were 2 brothers who are worthy to be appointed as elder then prefer the one who is married. It is wisdom not law as stated by others. Most problems in a Christians life surfaces after marriage. Married life shows us how selfish we are. Hence someone who has gone through the same as us can have a father's heart to consul us.

Regarding women being an elder the answer is NO. Women are not given authority in Church. They can prophesy but not have authority over other brothers in Church. It is just a role given to men alone just like women are given the role to be mother who can bear a Child. Roles does not determine equality. In new covenant there is no difference between man and women in terms of importance or equality.

Nothing against women but I find them generally women when they are given authority even in workplace they cannot handle it. They get tensed. Men have this nature of sucking up pressure and remaining cool but most women cannot do it. They cannot handle pressure in management more than certain extent. I am yet to see a women who can be considered a cool manager who does not crumble under pressure and remains calm.

2014/5/1 1:08Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

I had a good discussion about this with a man at my church. We thought it would be way too easy for the Holy Spirit through Paul to say, "IF the man has a wife" or "IF the man has children then this is how his character needs to be in regards to that"...etc.

We also discussed how God puts each member of the body in place as He sees fit, and if God was preparing a man to be an elder, then He could easily provide him with a wife and children and bring the man to the point in which he could fulfill that role.

Also, we agreed with Brother Greg that a man who is a godly husband and goldy father would have learned skills from the Lord that would be absolutely useful in dealing with the children of God and dissenters--in love.

I haven't nailed it to the ground yet, but that seems to me what a plain reading of the passage is saying.

2014/5/1 10:53Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Paul functioned as an Apostle and did not necessarily act as an Elder in local assemblies I believe. He appointed Elders though.

I just read 1 Peter 5:1 in which Peter calls himself a "fellow Elder" so I wanted to take back the statement quoted above, Paul the Apostle was probably an "Elder" too?

2014/5/1 11:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy