SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Thomas Adam (1701 - 84) on Charity

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Thomas Adam (1701 - 84) on Charity

I thought it would be of a benefit to some, to introduce some passages taken out of a book that I did obtain some years back titled, "Private Thoughts On Religion", by Thomas Adam (1701 - 1784). The book contains extracts from his own private diary, and was published shortly after his death. I came across it upon reading Andrew Bonar's "Memoirs And Remains Of M'Cheyne", in where Robert M'Cheyne is to say, "Oh, for the humility of Adam" upon reading "Private Thoughts". Thereupon, at that time, I decided within myself, "If M'Cheyne said that of this man and his book, I must get myself a copy."

The excerpts in this initial post are taken from the chapter, "Charity", and recorded on pages 209 - 211.

"It is a great fault, even of good men, to expect that others should be convinced of, and brought to own the truth all at once, and perhaps to be angry if they are not: Neither considering how difficult it is for such a blind and proud creature as man to see the truth and own his mistakes; nor by what slow degrees they arrived at it themselves. Little good comes by disputing. Pride is generally at the bottom of it, and not charity, or the love of truth; and it is seldom managed with decency and candour enough to produce any good effect. Let fall a word in season, and wait in patience till the rain drops upon it from heaven."

"Though St Paul, in 1Cor 13 desribes charity only by its effects, as exerted towards men, yet the essence of charity, and the root and cause of these effects is, and must be, the love of God. Man in his natural state may love some few particulars, and those perhaps disinterestedly; but he cannot love man as such, or the human nature in general, till he himself is transformed into the divine."

"If we are truly foremost in the christian course, there will be no triumphing, or carrying ourselves aloft upon it, we shall be heartily sorry to see others so far behind us."

"I do not know that any pagan writer ever mentions or recommends, what Christ calls the first and greatest commandment; viz. the love of God. And yet this is the grand duty of man to his Maker, the basis and essence of virtue; and the grand means of happiness; when this is wanting, all our performances, how specious soever, are not only uncomfortable and unacceptable, but sinful."

"It is a matter of no small difficulty to be silent with reason on our side. And yet, for peace sake, and the preservation of decorum, or what is more essential, of charity and tranquillity, it is for the most part necessary to acquiesce, even in things of some consequence; how much more in trifles and matters of ordinary conversation."

"When any one is discomposed, and peevish for nothing or mere trifles, I see immediately the odiousness of such a temper, and the weakness of mind it proceeds from. Perhaps it will be my turn to-morrow. Let it be a rule with me upon such occassions to do all I can to heal and soften, and never to irritate; and especially to guard against the infection of the disorder, and hatred of the person."

"Liking and esteeming others merely for their agreement with us in religion, opinion, and manner of living, is only a less-offensive kind of self-adoration."

"Speaking ill of others at all, unless it be to prevent mischief to religion or our neighbour, is only for the sake of tickling ourselves, and those that hear us, with a comparison; proceeds from pride; and has no other tendency but to increase it."

2014/4/26 18:08Profile
Jeremy221

Re: Thomas Adam (1701 - 84) on Charity

"Liking and esteeming others merely for their agreement with us in religion, opinion, and manner of living, is only a less-offensive kind of self-adoration."

The author speaks about failing to love as a sign of "weakness" of mind. This may just be an artifact of the period's philosophy but it may also demonstrate his real condition. We are so fully submerged in secular thought we can attribute divine character simply to individuals with strong personalities or minds. This is why ministers must be doctors today. They must have the right personality, right work ethic and educational background or else they won't 'fit' our expectations for the position. The writer says that this is a form of self adoration or worship. We are not conformed to the image of Christ because we are worshipping ourselves. Real Christian love is only demonstrated when we no longer fear men, even Christian men or when we flee the manipulation of them. Nor does it seek the commendation of men. Love pours wine on the wound that stings but cleanses. Love girds the towel to wash the feet of others who have walked in the world. Loves says that it has nothing but possesses all things because it is connected to the Head in Whom are all things. Love never gives up because God has not given up on you.

2014/4/26 21:14Profile
Yeshuasboy

Re:

Jeremy221 wrote:
"The author speaks about failing to love as a sign of 'weakness' of mind."

Dear friend, I do not see that (a weakness of mind) at all, but rather a lacking in the grace of God. What stands out in that particular quote, to me, is this, "merely for their agreement with us in..."

Christ Jesus being long-suffering with us, and is very patient, not wanting any to perish.... When i think about the long-suffering of God and His patient towards me, and yet i come short of this towards others, oh how it should send me on my face in repentance and confession, and to beg of Him for this grace, for this divine Love, which passes all human understanding.

1John 2:3: And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.
1John 2:4: He that says, I know Him, and keeps not His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in Him.
1John 2:5: But whoso keeps His Word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in Him.
1John 2:6: He that says he abides in Him ought himself also so to walk, even as He walked.

2014/4/26 23:25Profile
Yeshuasboy

Re: Thomas Adam (1701 - 84) on Charity

The excerpts in this post are recorded on pages 207 -209:

"I must love and honour all men, notwithstanding their vileness and corruption; and though I have reason to think, from what I know of myself, that they are much worse than they seem to be."

"To leave off sinning, is charity of the best kind to my neighbours."

"If you would come any thing near happiness upon earth, endeavour to live with all mankind in a state of as pure love as you will in heaven."

"We cannot love others in a right manner, without first loving God."

"If my substance increases, woe be to me if all who have a claim upon me are not the richer for it."

"Never rebuke any man without praying for him."

"No faith, no quickening, no renovation, no liking of Christ without the love of souls."

"If I hate any one, I love none truly."

"Look upon every person you meet or converse with as one for whom Christ died. This will not only keep you from all injury, but engage you to all acts and endeavours of love to the souls and bodies of all."

"The way never to speak of any with contempt, is never to think of any with contempt."

"The farther a man advances in christianity, the more he sees of the ignorance, selfish baseness,and corruption of mankind; and yet the more he loves them. The wisdom from above can account for this seeming impossibility."

"If I aim at the real spiritual improvement of those I converse with, I shall never say any thing to irritate or vex them, but keep a constant guard upon myself; and if it shall please God to work mightily upon this passionate, haughty spirit of mine, I shall be gentle towards all men, notwithstanding the greatest provocations."

2014/4/27 2:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy