SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : Am I wrong

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Am I wrong

I am 62. In pretty fair health. Believe it or never married. This bachelor lifestyle is getting pretty lonely. Am I wrong to ask God for a wife, even at my age?

I know these are the end times. I know Paul says it is wise fir a man to remain unmarried in such times. But also God says it is good for a man to not be alone.

So I ask God for a help mate. A partner in ministry. So am wrong to ask such?

Blaine

2014/4/21 20:44
Solomon101

America's Flyover Country

Re: Am I wrong

Quote:

No, not at all.

He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord. Proverbs 18:22 NIV

2014/4/21 20:52Profile
proudpapa

George Fox was in his middle 40s when he married Margaret Fell, that was in the 17th century when 39-40 was the average life expectancy, The average Life expectancy is around 75 now.

I would say Pray believing and be content to what ever becomes of the answer.

2014/4/21 21:19Profile
KPYee

Sorry to be dampener. But I think wisdom is with Paul instruction. As it was times of troubles then so its now .Its not the right time to get married now even if you are much younger.
You will need all the time and energy you have to serve in the cause of the Lord very soon. You wont be lonely when you are preoccupied helping in his vineyard

The Lord Bless you

2014/4/21 22:02Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

KPYee wrote:

Quote:
Sorry to be dampener. But I think wisdom is with Paul instruction. As it was times of troubles then so its now .Its not the right time to get married now even if you are much younger.
You will need all the time and energy you have to serve in the cause of the Lord very soon. You wont be lonely when you are preoccupied helping in his vineyard

The Lord Bless you

I would agree to a large extent. That said, I would also be sensitive and cautious in giving advice because we do not ultimately know exactly what the Lord's will is concerning this brother. It is possible that you may find a wife suddenly when you least expect it. On the other hand it is also possible you may never find a wife, that's just a possible reality brother.

I think this is a key passage to consider:

"27 Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be loosed. Are you loosed from a wife? Do not seek a wife. 28 But even if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. Nevertheless such will have trouble in the flesh, but I would spare you."-1Cor. 7:27-28

I would encourage not to pray for a wife because we do not see any example or encouragement for such a prayer request in the New Testament. Paul says clearly by inspiration of the Holy Spirit, not to seek for a wife if you do not have one.

I remember that as a single Christian I was getting anxious in wanting to find a wife and I was praying about it and ended up praying, "Lord, I pray for your will to be done and that you give me the strength to wait or to be celibate and content if that is your will for the rest of my life."

I remember that after I prayed that I was truly content in my singleness for a long while, totally focused on serving the Lord and loving it; I was no longer anxious about finding a wife. Afterward I suddenly met my lovely wife, we got married and had two lovely children and the rest is history. Not saying it's going to turn out like that for you brother but just to encourage you to hang in there and pray for the Lord's will.

2014/4/21 22:36Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:

We must be led of the Spirit of God. Some brethren will specifically have a sister that the Lord has for him just to take care of a brother in old age helping a ministry etc.

In the end there are very few years left for all of us. Eternity is very long, may we be fully spent for His cause and gospel. There was a real respect and help from the church even financially for those who were widows or single unto the Lord's work.

2014/4/21 22:56Profile
proudpapa

Re:

RE: ///I remember that as a single Christian I was getting anxious in wanting to find a wife and I was praying about it and ended up praying, "Lord, I pray for your will to be done and that you give me the strength to wait or to be celibate and content if that is your will for the rest of my life."

I remember that after I prayed that I was truly content in my singleness for a long while, totally focused on serving the Lord and loving it; I was no longer anxious about finding a wife. Afterward I suddenly met my lovely wife, we got married and had two lovely children and the rest is history///

That is almost verbatim of my testimony. It was when I let go that God did the work.

2014/4/21 23:05Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

I don't think it's wrong to ask, providing the motive is for the glory of God. I'm not trying to be pious either, for I myself am single, 42 years of age, never been married nor engaged.
At times, the same thoughts have run through my mind Blaine, I must confess; but, then other thoughts run through my mind such as these (to name a few):
1) If I am fully content with loving the Lord with all my mind, heart, soul, and strength, then what is this desire to have a wife? Is it my desire (and surely it is if I am constantly pondering it), or am I not as content with God as I think I am?
2)What a responsibility marriage is! Am I ready for such a thing, or do I deceive myself in thinking I am ready for such a thing?
3)Is my flesh taking over? Is that why I am pondering such a thing? Is it what I want, or what the Lord desires for me?
4)How much am I praying now, and spending time in my prayer-closet? Will I spend more time in prayer after I have more responsibilities?
5)Am I not pleased with God's will for my life? Am I praying for a wife against the will of God?
6)If I hardly spend time alone with God now, what makes me think I will spend more time with Him alone once I'm married?
7)Can I do more for the glory of God without being married; or, will I do more for the glory of God once I am married?
These have been questions that I have pondered. When I set my affections on things above though, oh, what contentment comes to me. Sometimes I hear, "Is not My grace sufficient?", and then I despise myself and tremble.
Anyway, I would just be honest with the Lord in your prayers (not saying you aren't), and bring your requests to Him.
I am sorry to hear that you feel lonely some times though, for feeling lonely is terrible; but i have found it is also good - for it has revealed much about myself to myself.
May the Lord be with you graciously through this time, and grant you wisdom concerning this matter, for His glory.

2014/4/22 0:34Profile
savannah

"Am I wrong"

Absolutely NOT!

Genesis 2:22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, he made woman, and brought her to the man.

Moses now relates that marriage was divinely instituted, which is especially useful to be known; for since Adam did not take a wife to himself at his own will, but received her as offered and appropriated to him by God, the sanctity of marriage hence more clearly appears, because we recognize God as its Author. The more Satan has endeavored to dishonor marriage, the more should we vindicate it from all reproach and abuse, that it may receive its due reverence. Thence it will follow that the children of God may embrace a conjugal life with a good and tranquil conscience, and husbands and wives may live together in chastity and honor. The artifice of Satan in attempting the defamation of marriage was twofold: first, that by means of the odium attached to it he might introduce the pestilential law of celibacy; and, secondly, that married persons might indulge themselves in whatever license they pleased. Therefore, by showing the dignity of marriage, we must remove superstition, lest it should in the slightest degree hinder the faithful from chastely using the lawful and pure ordinance of God; and further, we must oppose the lasciviousness of the flesh, in order that men may live modestly with their wives. But if no other reason influenced us, yet this alone ought to be abundantly sufficient, that unless we think and speak honorably of marriage, reproach is attached to its Author and Patron, for such God is here described as being by Moses. J.C.

Genesis 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone: I will make him a help meet for him.

Although God pronounced, concerning Adam, that it would not be profitable for him to be alone, yet I do not restrict the declaration to his person alone, but rather regard it as a common law of man’s vocation, so that every one ought to receive it as said to himself, that solitude is not good, excepting only him whom God exempts as by a special privilege. Many think that celibacy conduces to their advantage,and therefore, abstain from marriage, lest they should be miserable. Not only have heathen writers defined that to be a happy life which is passed without a wife, but the first book of Jerome, against Jovinian, is stuffed with petulant reproaches, by which he attempts to render hallowed wedlock both hateful and infamous. To these wicked suggestions of Satan let the faithful learn to oppose this declaration of God, by which he ordains the conjugal life for man, not to his destruction, but to his salvation. J.C.

2014/4/22 0:58Profile
Jeremy221

Christ Our Life - Part 1 by Art Katz

Topic: Christ
Description: Rather than establishing our life on the basis of our own natural endowments, our gifting, our intellect, Art suggests that there is another Life that is made available for those who sincerely desire to disown their own.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=21386

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=21387

Don't be discouraged brother, there is more to the implications of marriage in regard to serving Christ than what is commonly understood. If you are given the joy of a beloved sister, it may be God's instrument to draw to closer to Christ through conformity in suffering. Grace and peace on you.

2014/4/22 1:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy