SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : A Question About a Martyred Saint

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

A Question About a Martyred Saint

Has anyone heard of Michael Sattker? Evidentky he was subject of s movie called The Radicals. Who were the Anabaptist? The Calvinists say they were heretics and persecuted as such. Were the Anabaptist believers in Christ or were they heretics? Should heretics be burned at the stake or drowned? Why do we have Christians killing other Christians?

Just wondering? But then probably no one really understands what I am asking here. Not sure whatI am asking here.

Bearnaster

2014/4/15 20:06
TMK

NC, USA

Re: A Question About a Martyred Saint

Anabaptists were decidedly not heretics- they just disagreed with Calvin on certain points and Calvin was not fond of being disagreed with. Mennonites and Brethren churches are offshoots of the anabaptist movement.

If I remember correctly Michael Sattler was martyred in the most gruesome way- including having his flesh torn out with pincers and when he tried to preach on his way to his execution he had his tongue torn out of his mouth. I think I am remembering correctly.

That was a nice demonstration of brotherly love.

2014/4/15 20:18Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I just did a quick google search- calvin didn't have him executed-- apparently the RC church did. nasty nonetheless.

I think calvin was directly behind the death of some other martyrs, however.

These were all just flawed men, including martin Luther who was aggressively anti-semitic in his later life.

2014/4/15 20:27Profile
proudpapa

Hi bear,

I have a book by John Calvin : "Treatises against the Anabaptists and against the Libertines" http://www.amazon.com/Treatises-against-Anabaptists-Libertines/dp/0801024765

Calvin had no compassion for the Martydom of Michael Sattler, and openly confesses so in his treatises.

Calvins treatises was his attempt at refuting the Schleitheim Confession.

2014/4/15 20:36Profile
proudpapa

Re:

lets becareful as not to confuse the Anabaptist Michael Sattler with the unitarian Michael Servetus

2014/4/15 20:39Profile

Re:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAcMPyUk_o4

2014/4/15 22:15
alamb

High Point, NC

I have been a member here for awhile but have never responded to a quote. But, I would like to tell you what I think. Remember, we are fighting a spiritual war and not one of flesh and blood. My thinking as far as the people who martyred those who followed Christ, people who persecute other followers of Christ and certainly Christians who kill other Christians is absolutely because Satan hates God and God's true sons. I emphasize "true" because many of those who refer to themselves as "Christians" are not totally sold out, hook, line and sinker to Jesus as Lord of their life and live it out on a daily basis as such. That doesn't mean that the other believers are not Christians because they probably are. It simply means that they have their OWN agenda for their life. Giving up one's life to live and be what Jesus has designed for you is a very hard thing to do, at least at first. A "son" of Christ who is growing into spiritual maturity will listen to His every word to them and follow His direction for their life without question.
I live in North Carolina and wouldn't particularly want to get out of my comfortable spot here and move to Siberia. But, if I was sure that Christ was calling me to go, then I'd start packing and He would do the rest.
Satan knows the power of God. This is the reason he (Satan) wants God's sons and daughters killed.
Anyway, I'm sorry I got off on a tangent; but just remember this is a spiritual battle. Put on your armor and wear it till this war is over.
I hope I didn't confuse you.

alamb
Phil 3:12-14

Phil.3:12-14

2014/4/15 22:38Profile
proudpapa

What confuses me is men such as Spurgeon and many many others whom have been confessing calvinist, who to me seem unarguably to have walked with God.
I can read Spurgeon all day and I find very little that I disagree with, even when he gives his interputation of the 5 points I find myself often some what in agreement.

I have found few others whom can so expound the Scriptures as to cause me to desire to press in all the more, as what reading Spurgeon does.

2014/4/15 23:43Profile

Re:

PP one might say Spurgeon was more Anabaptist then Calvinist. :)

Bear

2014/4/16 8:18
jochbaptist

Re:

Thank you for your blessed thoughts alamb.

Joch

2014/4/16 11:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy