SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Redeeming the Culture

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Redeeming the Culture

I just finished listening to a sermon preached at Liberty University by the hip hop artist LaCrae.

One of the things he said stuck with me a little bit and I have been mulling it over in my mind. He said that as Christians, we needed to be redeeming the culture by being in various positions (jobs, etc), shining the light of Christ. We needed to take back the medical field, music, etc and bring them into submission to Christ.

Isn't this dominion theology?

2014/4/11 13:11Profile

Re: Redeeming the Culture

It certainly is dominion theology. Though the central idea of believers holding important positions in local, central and professional governance is by no means a new thing. Cliff Richard's (Harry Web) was promoted by the churches in the 1950s in this precise role as a young believer. It led to the memorable hit 'Devil Woman'. I don't know about taking back music, I would be minded to throw most of it in the bin. But then I am a legalistic pharisee with Judaistic tendencies to the establishing of a communistic world order. Or should I say that I am looking for the coming kingdom with Messiah and a rod of Iron to reign over the nations.

2014/4/11 13:33

Re:

Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners. He did not come to save culture.

My two cents.

Blaine

2014/4/11 13:36
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Good question havok20x. I'll give some of my two cents on it. I believe there is some biblical validity to that kind of sentiment because we are called to let our light shine in this world and we are not called to be monks. And we are called to be bold witnesses of Christ wherever we are placed, pro-actively sharing our faith with those around us as we have opportunity. Too many times we shrink back from sharing our faith and we keep quiet when we should speak up. I am guilty.

And we should have a healthy faith that believes God to do the miraculous with hardened hearts, knowing that He is more than able to save to the uttermost any person or group of people.

That said, we also need to be realistic as Scripture exhorts us. The Word also teaches us that we should expect persecution in this world from Christ's enemies. There is always going to be opposition to the gospel from this hostile world, and I don’t believe we should expect the whole world to be converted to Christ (I understand that Christians who hold to Postmillenialism believe that; I personally am of the Amillennial or Realized-millennium persuasion).

The Amillennial view says that there will always be a tension between the “already” and “not-yet” in the life of the believer, meaning the already realized spiritual, powerful kingdom of God which Christ has already inaugurated and brought into being with His first coming, and the not yet realized eternal kingdom of God that will be brought into being at Christ’s second coming. Already, as believers we can go forth confidently and boldly in preaching the gospel, trusting that God is mightily with us wherever we go. And at the same time we must understand that there will always be a real battle being waged here and we are always going to be in the thick of that battle as we abide in Christ.

A serious danger I see with kingdom now theology is that it can get you overly-focused on earthly prosperity as opposed to being heavenly-minded as Scripture commands us to be (Colossians 3:1-2).

Also, another concern is that while we are called to be in the world, we must be careful not to become of it. Too many times Christians think they need to be just like the world in many respects in order to reach the lost. And I believe too many times Christians take that to an extreme and lose the peculiarity that we are called to have and display.

2014/4/11 14:06Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

I wrote

Quote:
I don’t believe we should expect the whole world to be converted to Christ (I understand that Christians who hold to Postmillenialism believe that

Clarification, the Postmillenial view says that the vast majority of the world will be converted to Christ right before His second coming, and that the whole world will be "Christianized" due to the influence of Christians.

2014/4/11 14:11Profile
andres

texas,brownsville

Re:

We must understand that by Jesus Saving Sinners, the culture will change..

The Father who once sat around the T.V. with his kids watching "family Guy" after being saved by God now sits around the Bible with his kids and wife praying, singing, reading the Word. The Culture of his Family has Changed..

The Business person who once was motivated by greed, and pays at the lowest and sells at the highest, after salvation Now pays at a fair wage, and sells at a fair price.. the Culture of his Business has changed...

The artist who was all about showing off his talent for his own glory.. After Salvation Now shows his talents for the Glory of God.. The culture of his music, painting, movies has changed..

The Politician who was concerned only for himself and his social statues.. after salvation cares about honoring the God he serves as well as the people he represents.. Justice, mercy and Honor to his King move him Now..
and so on and so on..

God is about redeeming Culture..

Did Not the Economic Culture Ephesus change at the Preaching and teaching of Paul?

Did not the Whole Roman Empire Change Because of Christians?

andy

2014/4/11 19:33Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Yea Havok! The reason it is sticking with you is because it is so right on.
Jesus came preaching 'the kingdom of God is at hand (here now!) repent.' The church wants to sit in the pews or padded chairs far away from those bad sinners waiting for them to come to our meeting.
When a person is converted to Christ, this IS His kingdom coming on earth. Who would not welcome the kingdom of God being made real in our work places?
The kingdom of God is not meat and drink but righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. Are those who have posted against having these graces of the Holy Spirit in the work place?
The kingdom of God touching coal miners in Wales became known as the Welch Revival..etc

Russell

2014/4/11 19:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy