SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Fellowship in the Spirit

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Fellowship in the Spirit

How should the format of our meetings be? There is no set format in the bible, but there are definitely meetings that a differ in purpose and activity. There are prayer meetings, there are love meals, there are meetings to for teaching and last not least a meeting where all believers participate.

One of the most descriptive passages for our gatherings is this:

1Cor 14: 26 How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. 28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God. 29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge. 30 But if anything is revealed to another who sits by, let the first keep silent. 31 For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged. 32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33 For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.

I wonder how many of us have ever been a church meeting where this passage ever came into practice. We are accustomed to have worship “presented” by a worship team and the congregation in the pews sings along.

Then follow announcements and the children go into their meetings away from the adults.

The preacher comes up with a message of teaching or a word from the Lord. We listen while we sit in our pews. Some may take notes most just listen. After that we have a quick cup of coffee and go home. That is our weekly dose of Christianity.

We are accustomed to such meetings because we are spiritually lazy. We want everything to be presented to us. Christians who do not know the infilling of the Holy Spirit gravitate to such a format.

Honestly, I think this is far removed from what is described in that little passage and with what God had inspired Paul to exhort us.

A meeting is a gathering for participants, not attendants.

The reason why the majority of churches meet this way is I think because we are not accustomed to spend a good deal of time before that in our own quiet time to hear from the Lord. Do we sit at His feet to get a revelation or a teaching from the Holy Spirit? Do we study his word intensely and thoroughly every day? Do we pray before we meet to have the Lord Himself to speak to us, lead us, exhort us?

They vast majority comes into meetings unprepared and hence are not able to give a sensible ad hoc exhortation or word of prophesy.

We are accustomed to leave it to professional speakers to teach us, and professional instrumentalists to guide us in worship. This dilemma is described in

Ex 20:19 Then they said to Moses, “You speak with us, and we will hear; but let not God speak with us, lest we die.”

To come before God means consecration. Are we willing to make the steep ascend to the top of Mount Sinai? There Moses met with God and heard him and afterwards spoke to the people.

In New Testament terms, this means we need make an effort to be in fellowship with the Lord. You need to be filled with the Spirit of God before you can minister in such a way as described in 1Cor 14. You need to come to a place of absolute surrender before you can be filled with the Spirit. Many of us do not want to surrender to God so that God can have is way in us and use us as an instrument.

The bible says
Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

In order to have such a meeting we need to meet in smaller groups. Pews do not help; it would be more conductive to sit in a circle.

Should this meeting be completely wide open to anything and everything what people bring? No. The rest of the congregation listens and weighs up what others contribute. Paul says everything should be done in order. This is what the elders and leader should be doing, ensuring that people minister in turns, make sure no one interrupts or dominates or spreads false doctrine. The leaders can bring gentle correction and interpret what the Lord is doing in their midst. They do not need take center stage to conduct everything as we are used to, but rather guide us with wisdom through their deep knowledge of the scriptures and by being an example through their close walk with the Lord. Then the Lord will be truly exalted and the meeting lead by the Spirit.

If we minister to one another in the Spirit it can be a very enriching and abundant experience:

Furher in the passage it reads:
1Cor 24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an uninformed person comes in, he is convinced by all, he is convicted by all. 25 And thus the secrets of his heart are revealed; and so, falling down on his face, he will worship God and report that God is truly among you.

Prophetic utterance in a meeting can lead to the conviction of sinners!

Such a format of meeting is not a luxury or an optional thing, it is the way the early church fellowshipped.

We need to come a place of “one another” in teaching and singing and admonishing. It is not to be left to a select few “professionals” or virtuoso preachers who take the stage and confine the rest into a passive audience.

I am by no means saying that there is not a place for speaker exhorting or teaching us in a meeting but rather that this should not be the only thing we have in a gathering.

I have so far only once been to a church where this was practiced. This was during a trip to South Africa. I was a guest but immediately felt free to minister in the Spirit though I knew only one of the brothers. I was not afraid to steal anyone’s show nor step on anyone’s toes.

Their “free format” meeting was in the morning and in the evening they had a meeting where one of the elders preached.

My deep desire is to for us to re-discover this ancient form of gatherings and be enriched by the working of the Spirit through every believer.

It is sad that many nowadays say that they encourage the gift of the spirit in their meetings but are practical cessationists. No one ever dares to prophesy or utter a tongue in the meeting lest they upset the set program for Sunday.

May we live up to the true meaning of this this benediction:

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all. Amen.

2014/4/6 17:37Profile
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

Re: Fellowship in the Spirit

Thank you for posting this! You have put into words what I have felt for a long time.

For years, I silently groaned in traditionally structured church services, even while enjoying and appreciating some aspects of it. Sometimes I think many of us have a nagging uneasiness about it but don't say anything because we can't imagine anything outside the familiar.

Only recently, through attending a small house gathering, have I felt anything close to what the scriptures describe as a meeting of believers. Such a blessing! It's not perfect though, as we all seem to be scared by years of "formal church" and lack greatly in the areas of prophesy, tongues and interpretation.

Personally I was convicted by your reminder of sitting at the Lord's feet before coming to a church meeting. It is so necessary and I feel ashamed at the many times I have arrived unprepared.

Blessings

2014/4/11 22:05Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

Thanks for your refreshing reply, SolaVeritas.
Last week we experienced a little glimpse of this in our little home fellowship with is part of a church.

This weeks topic was the Sabbath Rest of God

I "lead" worship with a prayer for God to bless us with His presence while we worship Him in spirt and truth and minister to us as we minister to Him. Then I said: Thanksgiving is half the Kingdom of God, let everyone of us give thanks.

They all took turns in giving thanks, even those who do not pray so often.

I picked the guitar and we sang songs suggested by all as the Spirit lead followed by prayers and scripture reading of everyone.

There was a increasing awareness of the presence of the Lord in our midst and all of us sensed it.

Then something remarkable happened: The Spirit ministered the Sabbath Rest to us. In one moment our burdens, cares and sorrows were taken and far removed from all of us. We all witnessed the same.

We actually experienced what we would heard in the Sunday sermon and what we would be sharing about in the bible study.

2014/4/12 9:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy