Discussion Forum : General Topics : Remember Lot's Wife

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
followthelamb

In Christ

Online!
 Remember Lot's Wife

Below are the words of saints shared in love and humility. I share them with you now not in legalism, but in the Spirit of Christ as food for thought in a time when the deception of the enemy of our souls grows daily more subtle and powerful leading up to the great deception that precedes the return of our Lord. I pray these various thoughts from other brothers and sisters will be a blessing.

"As you sit down to watch TV, count the minutes. How long until you hear the first swear word, how long before the first sexual joke, how long until a violent act takes place, or how long until a child shows clear disrespect to a parent? Probably not too long! Start watching for these things, and you will be amazed. Analyze the humor in a show. Often it centers on foul language, sexuality, or disrespect or rebellion, and the limit is always being pushed."

- Karl Graustein

"As we think about consistency, let me just emphasize the whole area of entertainment, and the kind of entertainment that you approve for yourself and for your children.

You as a mom (and dads as well) are responsible to make sure that your children are being protected. Particularly as younger children; before they know how to discern right from wrong, you’re responsible to help them make those choices.

Entertainment is an area today where we are so influenced in subtle ways by a culture that is contrary to God’s ways. It’s more subtle because we laugh at entertainment; we’re amused by entertainment. It’s fun, so we don’t think of how dangerous some of what we’re being exposed to might be in its philosophy, in its behavior, in what it’s promoting as a worldview."

- Nancy Leigh DeMoss

"Statistics show that the average child living at home in America watches at least twenty-eight hours of television each week. (For some kids, the total is much higher.) Programming that targets young people is often the very worst at deliberately glamorizing sin. By the time most young people graduate from high school, they have been overexposed to the grossest kinds of evil through 'entertainment' media in mind-numbing ways—so that nothing seems particularly appalling anymore. After all, drug use, immorality, violence, and profanity are standard fare on television. When a whole generation has been raised on a steady diet of that stuff, it's no wonder that sin no longer seems exceedingly sinful to them."

- John MacArthur

"When we sit in front of sights, images and messages that are the opposite of God’s Kingdom, we allow our minds to be subtly manipulated by the voices of darkness, whether we realize it or not....

But it’s not just movies and T.V. that has us in its controlling vice. It’s an overall pre-occupation with pop-culture. Music artists, professional athletes, and movie stars claim far more of our applause and attention than Jesus Christ does...

Idols are not just golden statues that people bow down to in ornate temples. An idol is anything that claims our attention and affection above Christ. Most of us verbally declare that Jesus Christ is more important to us than our fetish for music or movies. But what does our life say? Where do we spend the best hours of our day? What do we turn to for enjoyment and comfort?

Tauler wrote,
A pure heart is one to which all that is not of God is strange and jarring.

Pop-culture floods our minds and senses with things that are not of God. But for most of us, the glamorized sin that surrounds us is not strange and jarring. It’s normal and accepted. In fact, we go out of our way to enjoy and participate in it. We even spend a huge amount of our time and money on it. And we allow it to capture our mind, emotion, and attention. Christ makes it clear that we cannot love both Him and the things that charm and ravish this world. We cannot be dazzled by the images of pop-culture and captivated by the King of all kings:

"Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world - the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father but is of the world." (I John 2:15-16 NKJV)

"Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God." (James 4:4)

...Does God stand up and cheer over American Idol? Does He smile with delight over the new Twilight movie? Does He get excited about the latest Cold Play album? Or does He grieve over our distracted, wandering, divided hearts?"

- Leslie Ludy

"Today, there is a whole generation... laughing at things that ought to make them weep, and not a few of them will suffer shipwreck, and some—the loss of their souls. Let the indiscriminate viewer beware."

- R. Kent Hughes

"Do nothing unworthy of Him who represents you in heaven, and whom you represent on earth. He is faithful to you; be you so to Him. Let men know what a Lord and Master you serve. Be His witnesses; be His mirrors; be His living epistles. Let Him speak through you to the world. Let your life tell your fellow-men what He is, and what He is to you. Speak well of Him to men, as He speaks well of you to God. He has honoured you by giving you His name; He has blessed you by conferring on you sonship, and royalty, and an eternal heritage: see that you do justice to His love, and magnify His greatness. . .Be true to Him who loved you, and washed you from your sins in His own blood."

- Horatius Bonar

2014/3/30 16:50Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Remember Lot's Wife

Thanks for sharing this.

As I considered why people love to be entertained I got to thinking - is it because people have forgotten how to communicate - discussing life/work: how, what you did or didn't do and what went wrong and now looking for solutions. Just thinking about this... What would you say?

My brother who is twelve years younger then me lives in a distant state. We call each other several times a week to shoot the breeze. He is a farmer and I am his big sister. We talk about life, scripture, work, dilemmas encountered and solved (sometimes). In all this mix we have humor and laughter. Next to my husband, I laugh more with him then anyone else. Wonderful "entertainment."

Still, why does one pursue entertainment? What do you say, folks?

2014/3/30 21:42Profile
HeartSong

"Tauler wrote,
A pure heart is one to which all that is not of God is strange and jarring."

It is these things that are not of God that will be a snare to us in the end. Actually, many are already entangled and while these things appear to be only a snare to those that are partaking, they are also being used to "take down" those that are of a pure heart, for the lovely appears ugly to those that have been feeding in the trough of iniquity.

2014/3/31 0:56Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Who was it that said " entertainment is a substitute for the joy of the LORD"?

This is so true. Why does the whole world today seek entertainment? Because it does not have the presence and joy of the LORD. Why do so many Christians seek after entertainment? Because they are not experiencing the presence and joy of the LORD. Why are so many church services just entertainment for the sheep? Because they don't have the real presence and joy of the LORD. Why do we choose to spend time finding ways to entertain ourselves rather than experiencing the joy and presence of the LORD? Is it because we don't want expose ourselves to the LORD's presence and His dealings in our lives?

P.S. I think it was Leonard Ravenhill who said it.

2014/3/31 7:19Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

The quote from MacArthur say the average child watches 28 hours of television a week.

On the dvd, Captivated, the statistics now stand at 55 hours a week. And counting...

2014/3/31 7:25Profile
mama27

Re:

It is not just the tv, it's the "screen" altogether. The millenials cannot go 60 seconds w/o their screens - phones, tablets, Ipads, etc. They even sleep with them by their head....it is 24/7....it is truly an addiction....

2014/3/31 12:02Profile

Re:

Thankyou for this post, those quotes are very challenging indeed and the warnings are much needed in the church today.

That said, we must not paint all forms of entertainment as sinful. We watched the new superman movie this summer and had a great night out as a family with dinner afterwards. It's was a rare occasion to get all the kids together at once as they are all getting older. I view it the same as a board game or bowling or mini-golf etc. But like anything, these things can be an addiction or be harmful in other ways if we are not careful.

If our conviction is to never watch a single movie again I commend that stance, however we should not become prideful or look down at other believers as inferior or even call them carnal.

I doubt there is anyone on this forum who does that, but if so then such a person has a greater problem than any movie goer...and that is the danger of becoming a legalistic, self righteous, "pharisee". From my 30 years of observing this spirit, particularly in my own life, this almost always turns us into a hypocrite too. We become concerned with the outward things and pay little attention to the inner things of our heart. Something to keep in mind as we discuss theses matters.

Please understand my comments are not directed towards the OP, but to all of us in general.

(Edited for clarity)

2014/3/31 12:16
HeartSong

Re:

mama27 said: "It is not just the tv, it's the "screen" altogether. The millenials cannot go 60 seconds w/o their screens - phones, tablets, Ipads, etc. They even sleep with them by their head....it is 24/7....it is truly an addiction...."

...and it is killing us - both physically and spiritually.

2014/4/1 5:01Profile
a-servant

Re:

Yes, it's the screen that got everyone hooked. We as a family
might not watch more than 1 movie in a week, but try to take
away the blackberry from my young daughter and you will face
serious opposition. Well, at least there is comminication involved
with that device and not only consumption.

"Remember Lot's Wife" -> Yes, and Amen. This year a huge battle
rages on in the spirit world, someone got all his smart weapons
firing non-stop rounds of ammunition in our direction, like very strong
temptations, strive, pride, and the willingness to go back to a 1980's
lifestyle of worldliness and hedonism. Everyday a new trick to fall
and become like Lot's Wife to look back on things we already left behind.

This is a serious fight, and not only inside the family, also in church.
Last Sunday reminded me more about a multimedia show presentation
than a respectful decent worship service. Ok, maybe they are a bit too
US style charismatic for my taste, and the drums play too loud, but this
i can overlook, what really bothers me is that most of them think they
have arrived already, and there are no more temptations that can bring
us back to Lot's Wife position. Like the unsinkable titanic, too big to fail.
That is presumption. Forgive us Lord, we don't know what we're doing.

Psalms 79:9  Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of thy name:
and deliver us, and purge away our sins, for thy name's sake.

2014/4/1 22:27Profile
HeartSong

Re:

a-servant said:

"Forgive us Lord, we don't know what we're doing."

We are in the process of committing electro-magnetic suicide. Killing ourselves as well as those around us. Building ever increasing towers of Babel. Opening ourselves to the power of the enemy by doing that which the LORD has not commanded. Subjecting our minds to control that is only possible by carrying these devices where ever we go. Devices that have eyes and ears and a mouth that can be turned on and used by anyone having a reason or desire to do so. Like cattle we are being rounded up and corralled and all the while we are thinking that we are so clever and inventive - why these devices almost have us thinking that we are God.

Instant information and connection with almost anyone, anytime and anywhere. We have no need of God. Anytime we need anything we can just whip out our device and ask it what we need to know. Never mind that the internet can be manipulated to give you the WRONG answer just as easily as the right. Now there is power. Tell people that which will kill them rather than that which will make them well.

Our playground, and that of our children, is the worldwide web, and just like a spider web, it is designed to trap it's prey until the powers that be can come and suck the life blood out of those that become entangled.

"Psalms 79:9 Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of thy name:
and deliver us, and purge away our sins, for thy name's sake."

2014/4/2 2:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy