SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Spurgeon on the Christian and the Theatre

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Deadn, you answered your question. Isn't Hollywood all about trashy stories these days with trashy sex scenes, trashy mocking and blasphemy of God's name, trashy cursing, calling evil good and good evil? I think you'd be hard pressed to find something wholesome and decent these days other than some of the children's films.

2014/3/30 20:44Profile
proudpapa

Re:

I do not have a TV in my house.

Sometimes I wounder what the old Preachers would have thought about the world wide web.

2014/3/30 20:49Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

In the days of the Welsh revival (1905) the drama troupes in Great Britain were warned, "Don't go to Wales; you'll go broke." No one had any interest in going to the theatre.

No one wanted to go to the soccer games, either. In fact they couldn't even get enough people together to form a football team.

Selah.

2014/3/30 20:51Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

It is the "tone" of these posts decrying certain things as sin or carnality that bug me. The tone is this: "I don't go to the theater (or do whatever) because I think it is sinful or carnal. Therefore no other Christian should go ( or do whatever) either. If I don't go (or do whatever} neither should you."

God created us as artistic beings. In fact, we were created in His image. God is artistic. If anyone cannot see this then they are blind.

There is nothing wrong with artistic expression in and of itself. Can you imagine if there was no art in the world? It would be a pretty awful place. Theater has been an art form for centuries.

Obviously there are many forms of artistic expression that are downright sinful.

But to take a brush as wide as the entire breadth of artistic expression and paint it as evil or sinful is just plain wrong.

To suggest that all of Shakespeare's plays, for example are works of the devil is outrageous. Get yourself some culture and go see a Shakespeare play.

Oracio- it is not carnality I am against. It is legalistic statements like "if you go the theater (or movies, or an art museum, or read a novel that "gasp" does not have a Christian theme" then you are a carnal person. You might be, but to just make such statement about someone without reservation is exceedingly unfair and is contrary to what Paul taught about such matters.

Don't you think CS Lewis knew his Shakespeare?

2014/3/30 20:54Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

It is not only films that are trashy, many so-called Christian fiction is as well. Admittedly, I have not read new ones much recently - I quit when I got disgusted, have no idea where the new ones went to. The "Amish" books look boring...

One also has to be careful with children's videos. Some spout New age thought. The classics are wonderful, though.

What is better for family time is to play games. One can learn how to interact with others, how to lose gracefully, develop strategy skills like in chess. Participation in games will do more to improve family relations then viewing a movie together.

(BTW, likely Paul wouldn't brag here about it, but his four year old son is a great chess player. Knows how to strategize to win in the game. Now this is a skill that will have far reaching applications in other areas of life - learning skills and have fun while doing so. Great winner, IMHO.)

Great article. Thanks for sharing it, Brandy.

ginnyrose

2014/3/30 21:06Profile
mama27

Re:

I am leaving this discussion. I do not have the gift of debate. I am almost always sorry when I post my opinion. I do not condemn or judge anyone for what they do. There ARE gray areas. But on the whole, we are not a holy people. I think we are way too close to the line. I mean everything I say in a spirit of humility and not judgment. But I am tired of the way "legalism" is thrown around when some Christians are just trying to live holy lives as Jesus tells us to do.

2014/3/30 21:13Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

TMK, with all due respect, because you have been willfully denying the clear truth of eternal punishment, I don't believe we believe in the same God. Our different beliefs about God affect how we view this and other issues. If there is no eternal hell to shun there is really nothing to worry about, is there? If there are no eternal consequences for sin this and other issues are not to be taken that serious after all, if God Himself doesn't take them that serious. Yet Jesus said it is better to pluck out your eye than to be cast into hell with both eyes. That's how serious He is about what we entertain with our eyes.

2014/3/30 21:26Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

quote:

"TMK, with all due respect, because you have been willfully denying the clear truth of eternal punishment,"

This is an outright misstatement. So your statement is without merit. I do not deny that hell MAY be a place of eternal torment. All I have tried to do is to state what the alternative viewpoints actually are because there are so much misinformation out there on this subject.

Why not just discuss the issue at hand instead of bringing up this collateral point? I have already conceded that there is a lot of bad entertainment out there. Everybody knows that. The issue is whether all entertainment is bad.

Monopoly teaches greed.

Chess promotes pride (after all, people who are good at chess are smart people).

Snow White has a witch. So does "the lion, the witch and the wardrobe."

Hungry Hungry hippo promotes aggressiveness. All that violent whacking.

"Old Maid" requires cards.

"Hamlet" has a murder. So does the Bible. Many.

Unfortunately, Oracio, you are making the mistake of assuming that just because I try to defend the idea that not all art or theater is bad means that I am defending sin or carnality. You can think this what you want; it is your choice but nothing could be further from the truth. But it would be rather uncharitable of you to do so.

I happen to believe that, for the most part, most Christians are smart enough to read a book like "A Tale of Two Cities" or watch a play like "The Merchant of Venice" and not be dragged into the pits of perdition.

if you think I am defending what truly is the trash that is put out by Hollywood these days, or trashy novels, or trashy paintings or photos, etc., then we are talking past each other because I am doing no such thing. I am simply taking the stance, which quite frankly I cannot believe that more people here are taking (probably out of fear of being labeled a God-hater) that ALL theater and ALL novels and ALL movies are not inherently evil.

Now please excuse me while I go watch some Captain Kangaroo. I always liked him since I was a wee tyke. Sesame Street was always too liberal for me.

2014/3/30 21:59Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

TMK, I can show you clearly many posts of yours in which you have posted in support of universal reconciliation, the belief that all will in the end repent and be saved and therefore there is no eternal punishment for anyone.

2014/3/30 22:32Profile
brothagary

Re:

love not the world
or the things of the worlds
anybody who loves the world
THE LOVE OF GOD IS NOT IN HIM

it must be clear to us all that tv movies ,theatre
night clubs and the dancing that goes on in there is not of god ,,but it is of the world

this is an issue of the heart ,,
we need to ask our selves do I love any of these things

if we say sure l always loved to go to the movies all my life ,,,and since iv become a Christian that hasn't changed or I still love the old worldly music I allways listened to that ,,ect

the bible is truly saying to you that gods love is not in your heart ,,because the things of the world fill your heart ,,and god and his world are only in your head

some Christians will say you cannot be born of god because the bible says in these cases described the love of god is not there and that what the being born-again is

others will say you have back slidden away from god

we can debate those interpretations but the facts that if you love the things of the world ,,the love of god is not in you

we know none of the things mentioned feed the spirit in most cases ,,but on the contrary it feeds the carnal mind ,,and that is why the world loves all these things because it is not spiritual ,for the carnal man can not receive the things of the spirit, ,for it is foolish to him,,,carnal fleshy mind and its appetites is all he has

this is nothing to do with legalisms

blessings to ya all

2014/3/31 3:45Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy