SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Spurgeon on the Christian and the Theatre

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
followthelamb

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Spurgeon on the Christian and the Theatre

"As I look abroad, I am grieved and have great heaviness of spirit at what I see among professing Christians. A very serious matter concerns the amusements engaged in by professing Christians. I see it publicly stated, by some who call themselves Christians, that it is good for Christians to attend the theatre, so that the tone and character of the productions may be improved. The suggestion is about as sensible as if we were bidden to pour a bottle of lavender water into the main sewer to improve its aroma.

If the church is now supposed to raise the tone of the world by imitating it, things have strangely altered since the day when our Lord said, "Come out from among them...and touch not the unclean thing." Is Heaven to descend to the infernal lake to raise its tone? Such has been the moral condition of the theatre for many a year that it has become too bad for mending. And even if it were mended it would soon become corrupt again....

If our church members fall into the habit of frequenting the theatre, we shall soon have them going much further in the direction of vice, and they will lose all relish for the ways of God. If theatre-going became general among professing Christians, it would be the death of piety. Yet one finds the taste for such things increasing on every hand...

Who can suppose amusements surrounded with the seductions of vice to be fit recreation for a pure mind? Who could draw near to God after sitting to admire the performances of the debauched...

When behaviour is growing every day more lax and licentious, shall believers lower the standard of their lives?...It is profoundly saddening to hear how people talk about acts of sin nowadays; how young men and women without blushing talk of deeds which deprave and destroy, as though they were trifles, or themes for joking. It is a great pity that the ends of justice should require the publishing of unsavoury details. As for those who not only commit lewdness, but who take pleasure in those who do it—"O my soul, come not thou into their secret."...

It will certainly be disastrous for the church of God if her members should become impure. In these days we must be doubly strict, lest any looseness of conduct should come in among us. Actual sin must be repressed with a strong hand, but even the appearance of evil must be avoided.

My dear brethren and sisters, whatever your deficiencies, be pure in heart and lip and life. Never indulge an evil imagination, or speak about things which are unclean. Let them not once be named among you, as becometh saints. A lascivious glance, a doubtful word, a questionable act must be strenuously avoided. Anything and everything that verges upon the unchaste must be rejected.

Only the pure in heart shall see God. We are all subject to human passions, and this wretched flesh of ours is too easily fascinated by those who would pander to its indulgences. In seconds the soul may be led into captivity. Watch unto prayer, especially in these evil days. Cry, "Lead us not into temptation," and if the prayer is sincere, you will also keep far from doubtful places. Make a covenant with your eyes that you will not look upon that which pollutes, and stop your ears from hearing about it. Watch your lips lest they spread corruption when speaking of sin. I am not afraid that you will step directly into gross sin, but that you may take a very small step on the road that leads to it. Then it will only be a matter of time....

Avoid the appearance of evil. "But we must not be too rigid," says one. There is no fear of that in these days. You will never go too far in holiness, nor become too like your Lord Jesus. If anybody accuses you of being too strict and precise, do not grieve but try to deserve the charge. I cannot suppose that at the last great day our Lord Jesus Christ will say to anyone, "You were not worldly enough. You were too jealous over your conduct, and did not sufficiently conform to the world." No, my brethren, such a wrong is impossible. He Who said, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect," has set before you a standard beyond which you can never go.....

As for your Lord’s work, be bound to the altar of Christ and be united for ever to Him, and I am sure you will not find that you are losers by giving up worldly pleasures. The Lord’s ways are ways of pleasantness, and all His paths are peace. There is a safe and sweet pleasantness in holy living, and the pleasantness lies very much in the fact that an abounding peace springs from it. God grant us grace to keep in these peaceful paths, even though others should call us Puritans and ridicule our holy fear of sin."

- C.H. Spurgeon

2014/3/30 12:02Profile
mama27

Re: Spurgeon on the Christian and the Theatre

AMEN!!!!!

2014/3/30 12:15Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Spurgeon's right. Just look what happened when Lincoln went to the theater.

He probably wrote that while puffing on one of his fine cigars.

2014/3/30 14:46Profile
followthelamb

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Re:

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful." Psalm 1:1

The Pulpit Commentary on Psalm 1 --

"Verse 1. - Blessed is the man; literally, blessings are to the man. But the Authorized Version exactly gives the sense (comp. Psalm 2:12). That walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly. The margin gives, "or wicked," and this is probably the best rendering of the word used (רשׁעים). The righteous man is first described negatively, under three heads.

(1) He "does not walk in the counsel of the ungodly:" i.e. he does not throw in his lot with the wicked does not participate in their projects or designs;

(2) he standeth not in the way of sinners; i.e. he does not take part in their actions, does not follow the same moral paths; and

(3) he sitteth not in the seat of the scornful; i.e. has no fellowship with them in the "scorn" which they cast upon religion."

-------

"I will set no thing of Belial before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me." Psalm 101:3 (Darby)

2014/3/30 15:50Profile
mama27

Re:

I wonder why so few take those verses seriously....we had our kids memorize Psalm 1, and used Psalm 101:3 as the reason why we had no tv for 15 years....I cannot eloquently reiterate what I heard, but I listened to the Art Katz sermon yesterday that was posted on "apostolicity".....he said something to the effect that if you live wholeheartedly for God, people would view you as strange and you would not fit in, etc. That is my experience within my own home.....I just don't get it - what you have posted, followthelamb, is SCRIPTURE....

2014/3/30 16:01Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re: Spurgeon on the Christian and the Theatre

I don't understand how someone can equate the theater with sin. I find this to be legalistic unless someone can demonstrate to me that it is sin in the Eyes of God. Theater/drama demonstrates the realities of life and is used to proclaim the Gospel as well.

Mr. Spurgeon was probably speaking toward something more specific that is not mentioned in this little article.

2014/3/30 16:15Profile
mama27

Re:

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, DEADn, but we always taught our children that you can talk ABOUT the realities of life, even the SINFUL realities of life (actually they are mentioned countless times in the Bible), without graphically portraying them. I can't speak to what Mr. Spurgeon meant exactly, but you can be sure today's "theater" is far worse than what he could have imagined, for the most part.

2014/3/30 16:28Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

mama27
By your words it seems to me that you, and Spurgeon, may think theater only dwells on the sinful things in life? Or glorifies the sinful things in life? Not always case. I think far too often Christians tend to be a bit over the edge when it comes to things like this thinking that it becomes as part of the fly in the ointment. Is that really so?

Often I can watch a movie, even if it turned out to be bad, and use it as a teaching tool to teach a life lesson and even something about God in the process.

I still wonder what kind of things Spurgeon was talking about in this article because he is very vague in his words and leaves me wondering if he is just being overly legalistic.

Just my thoughts and I know they don't agree with everyone but I also don't think I agree with everyone on the board from what I read. I am just careful with what I post anymore.

John

2014/3/30 20:18Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

It seems like it's always the same posters opposing carnality and the same posters defending it and opposing God's Word even after they are clearly shown the error from Scripture. The same goes for opposing and defending God's truth in other areas of doctrine. There is a dividing line being drawn and we must choose this day whom we will serve, whether God or Satan.

2014/3/30 20:25Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Theater is carnality? I suppose it is when trashy stories are shown.

What are some examples of leisure in holiness that a Christian should abide in? I refer to things beyond reading/studying the bible and meditation and witnessing and so on.

John

2014/3/30 20:32Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy