SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Hanging out with prostitutes, homosexuals and thieves!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Hanging out with prostitutes, homosexuals and thieves!

I was just curious as to how many people out there are intentionally building relationships with unbelievers? Better yet, how many are genuinely loving sinners as Jesus did and spending time with them where they are at? It seems the traditional, fundamental church in many ways is focusing on how to keep "out of the world" at the expense of going to where the people are and loving them into the kingdom! We seem to be intent on praying or wishing them into our building rather than loving them into the kingdom like Jesus did! Curious to what hear what you think!

2005/4/9 21:06
disciplejosh

Southern California

Re: Hanging out with prostitutes, homosexuals and thieves!

hey pij,

I get to do this on an almost daily basis. I get to shine the light in the darkest places, if there is any such thing...isn't it all dark? lol.

But it's not about doing...it's about being. Not doing church in the park, being the church in the park. So many talk of stopping attending a traditional church, with a building, a pastor, church checkbooks, etc. But then they go start one in their homes and doing mostly the same thing after a while. Nothing wrong with traditional or home churches in the least! But so many are so upset and get so frustrated with their pastor(s), their elders, the lack of love for the homeless, or the affluence, or the choir robes, or the color of the carpet in the foyer...
and so they leave and start or join something somewhere else.

I tell people that move around alot because of problems with people or work or church...
It doesn't matter if you move away and start all over because in 2 or 3 or 4 months you're going to wind up with the same problems because one thing remains constant, no matter where you go...there you are.

It's an interesting thing being the church and then having the church wonder what to do with a ministry that hangs out with 'those' people.

Many times we forget that such were some of us.

But then there's the sheep that are coming that need to be cared for and watched over . But the flip side of the same coin is what about leaving the 99 and going after the 1.

More later. Thanks for posting this. Been thinking about this alot in the last year.

2005/4/9 21:19Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I don't make it a habit of hanging around with or socializing with these people, but if God places one in my path "and I will know" I will plant some seeds and let God do the watering. We should Love everyone equally but it is different to Love someone and then hang around with them, If I hang around with someone that cusses like a sailor for a month, I will probably be doing the same, so I choose not to hang around with them and just pray for them. It's tough sometimes especially for me because I am a very friendly person that likes to talk to everyone and it's easy for me to get caught up into a friendship so I really have to be careful about everyone I come across in my travels. So bottom line what do we do? well I will tell you what I do is I listen to God to give me instructions on what to do and if I heard wrong or it was not supposed to be the Lord will bring me out of it, I just feel personally that God would rather for me to make some sort of effort sometimes than none at all and if I make a wrong decision well he knows my heart.

2005/4/9 21:35Profile
Angyl

Re: Hanging out with prostitutes, homosexuals and thieves!

Quote:
It seems the traditional, fundamental church in many ways is focusing on how to keep "out of the world" at the expense of going to where the people are and loving them into the kingdom!

Perhaps, but I'll show you one traditional fundamental church that is doing just the opposite on a regular basis, where the pastor frequently preaches about reaching out to "the untouchables" and bringing them into our spiritual hospital (church).

It's a church that sends out its busses regularly to the homeless shelters in downtown (45 miles away) to bring back all who will come. Those who come are fed, and witnessed to, stay for the evening services along with the rest of the church, then invited to our clothing ministry if they have a need, offered free Bibles if they want one, and then invited to return as they are preached to on the way home.

One such man, after hearing the sermon and getting saved, confided in the pastor that he was on the run from the law. He was gently convinced to turn himself in, which he did, and he is now a part of our regular, weekly prayers in the church as he serves his time.

I would be mortified and ashamed to be a part of any church that turns people away because they aren't dressed right, or look like they might a disruption to the services. That's not Christ's spirit at all, but is the spirit of the Pharisees who knew the Devil as their father.
www.valleybaptistmesa.org

It's not perfect (what church is?), but there's no doubt that our pastor, his staff, and the members are people who love sinners

2005/4/9 21:54Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
I would be mortified and ashamed to be a part of any church that turns people away because they aren't dressed right, or look like they might a disruption to the services. That's not Christ's spirit at all, but is the spirit of the Pharisees who knew the Devil as their father.

It's not perfect

And A "BIG AMEN!" on that statement!

And not it sure would not be perfect if I were to join. :-o

2005/4/9 22:03Profile

Re:

I think the problem is we are still expecting to "bring sinners" to our church to get them saved, which I'm not against but I can't think of one example where Jesus invited someone to the synagogue. What I do read is that the religous were angry with him for drinking wine and eating with the outcasts of society. Saturday nights restaurants and bars are filled with people. Who is reaching them? "The Son of man cam eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children." Matthew 11:19 KJV

2005/4/9 22:44
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

pij wrote:
Saturday nights restaurants and bars are filled with people. Who is reaching them?

I tried this once but apparently was not my calling because my eyes started to wonder away from my mission, so I had to give that up, you have to be a very strong and determined and called to try this, Trust Me! :-D

2005/4/9 23:15Profile
dohzman

Re: A wise saying

"Jesus never went anywhere he wasn't invited to go". And when he went He preached the gospel using alot of different object lessons, parables and teachings. He never lost sight of the ultimate mark which was the Kingdom of Heaven. Reaching into the lives of the lost and having fellowship with them is 2 totally different things.Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify Your Father in Heaven.

2005/4/9 23:24Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Hi Bro. Josh,

Quote:
It doesn't matter if you move away and start all over because in 2 or 3 or 4 months you're going to wind up with the same problems because one thing remains constant, no matter where you go...there you are.

This is a good point.

Quote:
It's an interesting thing being the church and then having the church wonder what to do with a ministry that hangs out with 'those' people. Many times we forget that such were some of us.

You are so right here and this has been laboring on my heart for about 3 months now DAY AND NIGHT. This is another one of many of my concerns with the message of repentance and holiness. Do we preach a Gospel that could reach those who were totally submurged in Sin? What about people who I have met in Jails that had children by 3 or 4 different women? Or Women that have been married in some cases 9 times? I know of a woman like this. When we tell these people to repent- what do we mean to say? What direction do we give them? How on earth could a person minister sort such a thing out? They are in impossible circumstances. what I am trying to say is, they cannot repent in such a way as to go back and make everything right. No matter what they do trying to repent they appear to have not done the right thing in repentance. The thing I see then is that the Holy Ghost works it out in their life and then someone comes along with another word of repentance and starts telling them to do more and more if they really 'love Jesus.' Repentance preachers are trying to be the Holy Ghost in cases and it is causing havoc in peoples lives.

There are some holiness churches Bro. Josh that if one of these type of people were to get saved they would not be welcome in their church. I have read their core doctrines. Yet, someone can bomb out on drugs and nearly die of cirossis of the liver and if they get saved they get the right hand of fellowship. A person could kill 3 people brutally, get saved, and have a ministry when and if you get out of prison. Yet, when the sin is of a sexual nature there is no Gospel that seems to be able to reach those folks to the satisfaction of man.

Homosexuality, harlotry, etc. are sins that devestate lives. We meet them on the streets all the time in homeless ministry. These people's lives are wrecked! Wasn't it Ravenhill that said that we had better have a Gospel that could reach these folks? Something to the effect they couldnt hear a 'flip Gospel'- they needed to hear the real deal. Where would some of these people even begin to get their life right?

I know you meet folks like this all the time also and wondered if you would care to speak to how you deal with these type of folks.

God Bless,

-Robert

2005/4/9 23:25Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
It's not perfect (what church is?), but there's no doubt that our pastor, his staff, and the members are people who love sinners

Hi Angyl,

That is the key right there; do we love sinners? Do we want them to be saved and come to Christ or do we set a bar so high that they could never attain to grace. There are places where we minister that from week to week we wonder if they are growing in Christ or not. Yet, we persevere and keep ministering to them. Praise God that there are folks out there like your church that are really trying to do the works of Christ!

God Bless,

-Robert

2005/4/9 23:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy