SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The translation of choice?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Hard cover: NASB (Ryrie study); NLT and Phillips; of course my old children's bible story book "The Bible in Pictures for Little Eyes" which I am still indebted to for ingraining Bible truths into my very young brain. When I read certain Bible stories even today, I still recall the pictures from that book. Now there is a new version of this book but I am talking about the one from the late 60s and early 70s.

Electronically: anything is fair game. It is so easy to line up different versions side by side in bible gateway that I do that a lot.

I read the bible through every year and pick a different translation each time to keep it interesting.

2014/3/20 18:25Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Our language is changing MUCH from where it has been.

You know, I was reading "Tales of Narnia" by CS Lewis to my grand daughters last week. It is published in the 50’s. That’s quite recent – yet I was amazed at how much English has changed. The way some prepositions were used – we just don’t use them that way anymore. And there were expressions and idioms, and words that were foreign even to my own ear. I had to occasionally insert my own translation while reading to the kids.

Indeed! Language is CONSTANTLY changing. When it comes to the Bible, the last thing God’s people should do is form camps. It’s not about OUR favourite translations, hymns, or whatever is dear and near to our heart. Our calling is to love the world as Jesus did, and that requires us to be aware of language use and the need to pray for those who are diligently working on translation - those who are even today researching historical backgrounds, literary context, etc that can help to improve future translations.

On a personal note: I often use the online NIV 2011 – and parallel it with the Greek, the KJV, and my old NIV. From what I have seen, the NIV translators have done a lot of work to improve fuzzy, inadequate, or outdated renderings. Praise God for these workers in the harvest.

It’s no small task - being a translator – and it is nigh impossible to avoid the unconscious propensity to translate using words that accommodate one’s theological biases.

But thankfully the Bible is idiot=proof. The key elements are repeated over and over again – in all kinds of ways, with all kinds of stories and metaphors. If you miss it once, you can get it elsewhere. The concern is not so much the details in the translation, but the reader who has blind spots and keeps missing the obvious –because it doesn’t fit their assumptions.

(Did you notice my modern use of English, which in the past would be considered bad grammar?)

Diane

2014/3/20 20:22Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

Dave, Good. I have come to a place of peace about things. God given peace, not resignation. It is a gift, really. I now am holding onto 1 Corinthians 7:17

17 Nevertheless, each person should live as a believer in whatever situation the Lord has assigned to them, just as God has called them. (NIV)

17 Only, as the Lord has assigned to each one, as God has called each, in this manner let him walk. (NASB)

Only let each person lead the life[a] that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him. (ESV)

17 But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches. (KJV)

Just to keep us in the topic!!!!! ;)

Seriously, I can't put a finger on it except that it is the peace that passes all understanding. It is also a contentment with the not yet of God's work. We are seeking God deeply and He is opening doors.

For example, in our weekly Friday night small gathering at our local church, we have begun simply meeting with open bibles, asking Jesus to be the head of our meeting and for the Holy Spirit to speak to and through all of us to one another to build up, exhort, encourage and learn. We have an open floor and no real point man, so to speak, as the center of attention. I tend to facilitate because this is strange to some of our little band of believers, but it is also something sometimes my wife will do. So far, the openness is growing and the free flow of the Spirit as we speak God's Word to each other is increasing. We have so much more to learn and do. But, it is encouraging. Our pastor came last week and is very excited by what he experienced as we met for almost three hours in this fashion. So, we continue to seek Him and obey him as we move along.

Professionally, circumstances are no different, but they are different in terms of sensing God's doing in these years of deep dissatisfaction. I do not have any idea what will happen in the longer term. But I am confident more than before that my assignment, so to speak from Him is doing what I am doing.

You?

2014/3/20 22:58Profile

Re: The translation of choice?

I wonder what Bibles will look like in 20 years?

2014/3/20 23:14
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
bearmaster wrote:
I began my walk with Christ during the Jesus Movement. During the early years up my walk I used the older New American Standard Bible. It was the translation most favored by evangelicals during that time. Later I switched to the older NIV as I was giving it out in evangelism. When my digital Bibke containing the NIV 83 gave out. I looked to replace it. Only to find that Biblia was pushing the NIV upgrade And the 83 version was no longer available. Not liking the upgraded NIV I went back to the New American Standard Bible using the updated edition. Though I do like like the NKJV.

bearmaster,

I encourage you to seek out a used bookstore and look there for an older NIV version. At my local store, I have seen several older NIV's, i don't read NIV so I never bought them. let me know brother if you do not have a used book store near you and i will go look at mine!

God bless,
Lisa

2014/3/20 23:16Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Dolfan,

Great news! Thanks for the update it is very encouraging.
I am also finding more contentment in the place God has put me for now.
Rather than hi-jack this topic, you can e-mail me if you want. You can find it on my profile for a short time.

2014/3/21 5:55Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

If God can speak through a donkey to ask a question, I personally believe he can take any scripture from any version, to speak to us spiritually. This is what most miss in trying to figure out all the scriptures, and spend a lot of their time trying to get folks on-board with what they think a scripture is really saying. The Bible is the "living" word, each scripture can minister to our spirit differentially, this is why you will never get everyone on-board with what you think it means. I set here and read all the disagreements with each other on scripture, when most don't even realize, it's "the Spirit of truth" "not man" that ministers the truth, apart from Him, men cannot know or understand truth.

2014/3/21 9:29Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
by MrBillPro
If God can speak through a donkey to ask a question, I personally believe he can take any scripture from any version, to speak to us spiritually. This is what most miss in trying to figure out all the scriptures, and spend a lot of their time trying to get folks on-board with what they think a scripture is really saying. The Bible is the "living" word, each scripture can minister to our spirit differentially, this is why you will never get everyone on-board with what you think it means. I set here and read all the disagreements with each other on scripture, when most don't even realize, it's "the Spirit of truth" "not man" that ministers the truth, apart from Him, men cannot know or understand truth.

Bill,
Exactly brother! I love that... "it's the "living" word!!"

I love my King James, it's what I teethed on!! :) But since doing the jail ministry (6 years), I have come to love the ESV and the girls there enjoy it as well.

God bless,
Lisa

2014/3/21 11:38Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I wonder what Bibles will look like in 20 years?

That is a good point brother, there is definitely a down-ward spiral of strange versions with translators that lack the fear of the Lord.

One guess is definitely bibles that take out every reference to strong moral issues such as homosexuality, etc

2014/3/21 12:50Profile
a-servant

Re:

If we think about it in the early mornings, we come to the conclusion that gender specific changes only signify the latest and current form of corruption. Where there is obvious corruption now, there is a self-evident testimony regarding the fact that it also happened before.

God does protect His words, nobody can mess with it. Think about it, nobody honestly can touch it. And the new versions testify about the fact over and over again that they are man's words that are today and always have been under the influence of frequent change. The policy to adapt to changes in society is a humanistic exercise, and by itself is a total non-respect of God's authority, that God that gave us HIS words.

That fact alone gives it away. Once we have a consequential line of thought we also appreciate the fact that there are absolutes, and there are no crossovers. Yes, there is no grey area on this subject, just inconsequential thinking of minds that do not fully understand the integrity of an almighty God that no human soul can touch. Yes, let's meditate on the integrity of an almighty God. That's a position of faith that is unshakeable.

2014/3/21 22:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy