SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : The translation of choice?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

The translation of choice?

So what is the Bible translation of choice for SI members? As if I don't know the answer.:)

Blaine

2014/3/20 10:42
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: The translation of choice?

OK, I'll bite...

Read Colossians 2:23 in the "original" King James ("It was good enough for Paul and Peter, it's good enough for me!") version, then read it in NASB.

For me, the NASB provides good readable clarity, but keeps the poetic rhythm of the old King James translation.

I also like to ponder individual verses, which makes it harder to read the full paragraph blocks of a translation like the NIV.

I have no background in Greek or Aramaic, I rely on those gifted by God to take the original languages and put forth the best translation they can. It is helpful to read the work of different translators, and get a feel for the range of meaning in certain passages.

I am also struck by the fact that while each of the authors of our bible unavoidably brought their own personalities into the text, God's approval is on each one. He has confirmed in my heart that it is His word, and that I can trust Him in it.

2014/3/20 11:12Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Online!
 Re:

Bearmaster, You are taking a risk you know!:)

Anyway, I started with the NIV when I was first saved and for the first few years, then moved onto the NASB and then onto the NKJV. However always used the KJV for reference because of the many reference books associated with it.

I found the NIV to be too much of a paraphrase (not word for word), but amazingly God still spoke to me through it (shock, horror!). I found the NASB a bit clumsy in it's readability.

The NKJV I have settled on for many years now as it flows easily like the KJV and I think the original KJV was great and poetic and very accurate. However the NKJV takes replaces some of the archaic language and corrects some of the errors of the KJV where we there is now better understanding of the correct translation.

Now I'll duck out before the fireworks start!

2014/3/20 11:56Profile

Re:

Brothers thank you for your responses. Not trying to start an argument. Though on a subject like this there are bound to be fireworks.

I began my walk with Christ during the Jesus Movement. During the early years up my walk I used the older New American Standard Bible. It was the translation most favored by evangelicals during that time. Later I switched to the older NIV as I was giving it out in evangelism. When my digital Bibke containing the NIV 83 gave out. I looked to replace it. Only to find that Biblia was pushing the NIV upgrade And the 83 version was no longer available. Not liking the upgraded NIV I went back to the New American Standard Bible using the updated edition. Though I do like like the NKJV.

I have found the Bible translations that I have used to be a blessing. God has spoken to through these translations.

As I am posting this the thought occurs to me that irregardless of the translation one uses. We all come to faith and life in Jesus Christ. Though I am sure the KJV proponents would dispute this.

Blaine

2014/3/20 13:04
dolfan

Alabama

I'm not a translation militarist. :)

I learned Christ in the KJV and still love it. But, I seldom read it in favor of the ESV. When I do read another version it is typically the NASB, which I place on level ground with the ESV for all their qualities, on the whole.

My memorization of Scripture, though, tends to KJV. That says something important to its credit. My preferences have little to do with the quality of he manuscript sources of the KJV (I will accept the Johannine comma as inspired even if it is not original because the statement it makes is true even if out of place, IMO) and has somewhat to do with the arcane words and phrasings and somewhat still to do with the publication of the KJV (and so many newer versions, too!) in columnar, listed verse format.

I own a leather ESV and a dozen probably KJV bibles and one NIV and one KJV/NIV/NASB/Message parallel bible. (Okay,the latter two belong to my wife but they are household available, and I bought them for her.) I have an RSV or two as well that I never open. I read mostly electronically now, You Vesion and OliveTree. I read my daily through the bible plan in YV, and devotional or study in Olive Tree. I got the leather ESV because I still think the hard copy is necessary and if we surrender our access to the written Word to atheistic, anti-Christ publishers or e-device manufacturers and ISPs, we are going to find ourselves in a bad way for access and suddenly.

There. I think that covers it. LOL!

2014/3/20 13:48Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:

So what is the Bible translation of choice for SI members? As if I don't know the answer.:)

The translation you can understand and obey. I believe MOST translations in english are 97% very similar towards expounding most if not all greek words in some way. The question is are we obeying and walking in the Spiritual truths of even 5% of the Scriptures.

New International Version
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.

New Living Translation
But don't just listen to God's word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves.

English Standard Version
But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

New American Standard Bible
But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves.

King James Bible
But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
But be doers of the word and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

International Standard Version
Keep on being obedient to the word, and not merely being hearers who deceive themselves.

NET Bible
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourselves.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
But be a doer of the word and not only a hearer, and do not deceive yourselves.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Do what God's word says. Don't merely listen to it, or you will fool yourselves.

Jubilee Bible 2000

King James 2000 Bible
But be you doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

American King James Version
But be you doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

American Standard Version
But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deluding your own selves.

Douay-Rheims Bible

Darby Bible Translation
But be ye doers of [the] word and not hearers only, beguiling yourselves.

English Revised Version
But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deluding your own selves.

Webster's Bible Translation

Weymouth New Testament
But prove yourselves obedient to the Message, and do not be mere hearers of it, imposing a delusion upon yourselves.

World English Bible
But be doers of the word, and not only hearers, deluding your own selves.

Young's Literal Translation
and become ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves,

2014/3/20 13:51Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Re:

HeyDave....I know this is off topic but I want to say it to encourage.

Weeks ago you offered prayer for me when I shared some stuff here. I want you to know that I pray for you often and I appreciate you.

2014/3/20 13:51Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Online!
 Re:

Hey Dolfan,
Thanks I truly need it. I also have been praying for you. How are things going with you?

2014/3/20 14:11Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

I appreciate Greg's response. It is really irrelevant if we are not doers of the word. I use the KJV almost entirely and refer to other translations for comparison. Most of the good study materials such as dictionaries and lexicons are tied to the kjv, so it is a natural choice to use for study. And, I grew up with it, so all of me memorization is kjv. I would be lost if I tried to do a scripture search in niv or another version. What we have to realize is that every translation has the "flavor" off the interpreters to some degree and it is important to compare scripture with scripture and know how to use a lexicon and a bible dictionary as well.

2014/3/20 16:49Profile

Re:

I appreciate that part of his response (be ye doers) too, twayneb, but I don't know how to take the rest of it.

2014/3/20 17:17

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy