Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : A Lenten Journey to Blessing

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
As a former RC I have no desire to take part in the traditions of the RCC. I have seen what following Lent means to other Catholics around me,

Mary Jane, I’m glad that you share your own experience with "Lent" in the RCC. This is a good example of the power of word association. People associate words with their experience. I wrote for Presbyterians. They observe a Lenten season – but it’s nothing like you describe. Still, Lent can become merely a token formality in church.

Speaking of word associations, “liberal” churches tend to shun words associated with warfare. War is bad after all – and the last thing we want to do is conjure up notions of the Medieval Crusades! The Roman Empire was just brutal with their weapons. They were war mongers! Yet that didn’t stop Paul from using war imagery. In fact he put a brand new twist to it: the spiritual ARMOUR of God.

That's what I want to do: Put a new twist to "Lent".

Thanks for sharing, Mary Jane!

2014/4/4 19:42Profile
roadsign

Re:

Promises of divine provision fill the pages of Scripture. I list a few examples. As you read them, consider the practical outworking of these provisions.

FROM ISAIAH 42

God's breath (Spirit) and life :5 "... who gives breath to its people and life to those who walk on it

God's presence: :6 "I will take hold of you hand."

New things :9 "... new things I declare."

FROM PSALM 36
God's love :5
God's faithfulness :5
God's righteousness :6
God's justice :6
Identity as God's covenant people :6
Purpose and meaning in life :6 (light to the Gentiles)
God heals our blindness and frees us from captivity :7
We can drink from the river of delight :8
Fountain of life :9
God's light by which we see :9

FROM HEBREWS 9:11-15
eternal redemption, cleansed conscience, promised eternal inheritance

These are mere examples of divine provisions. These texts are drawn from the Apr. 14 lectionary.

How do these blessings help us live fruitfully?

2014/4/5 15:55Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy