SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Must we have novel length cut and pastes?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Must we have novel length cut and pastes?

I always think of a discussion forum as a place where things are discussed. It seems that when extremely long articles are cut and pasted into the discussion it defeats the whole purpose.

Perhaps a quick summary and a link to the article would be better. Quite frankly a lot of us may not have the time or desire to read extremely lengthy articles. Plus it sort of defeats the purpose of having a discussion. Long articles can quickly consume the discussion. If you post a long article and I happen to disagree, I could easily post another long article ad infinitum.

It would seem better if we just discussed the issue. Not that there isn't a place for short quotations or references, but these novel length quotations are a tad frustrating at least to me.

Of course I realize this is just my take on it.

2014/3/15 10:08Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: Must we have novel length cut and pastes?

For someone like me it's really tough, I usually just have to skip over the long posts. I have a very short reading concentration span, this is why I have to do most everything in e-books. I have even tried Focus Factor supplement for concentration, it did help some but not enough.While I do agree with you on the long cut and pastes, I surely would not want anyone not to be able to get their message out because of my disability.

2014/3/15 10:37Profile

Re:

Brothers I do not know how to cut and paste. And that may well be a blessing. I agree with you the long articles are difficult to read. Particularly for someone with 2200 vision.

I do agree since this is a discussion forum we should be discussing what God has put on our hearts.

As usual simply my thoughts.

Blaine

2014/3/15 10:45
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
... novel length quotations are a tad frustrating ...

... or grace-builders!

Thankfully no one is making us read them - like in school. While brief summaries may be preferred by most, it's sometimes nice to read the whole thing - being that summaries may merely be the poster's slant.

Diane

2014/3/15 11:46Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
roadsign..Thankfully no one is making us read them - like in school.

Amen!

2014/3/15 12:04Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Hi Diane-

I agree that articles in and of themselves are not bad-- in fact there is a place to put them under "Articles and Sermons."

What is frustrating is when a person tries to make some point by posting a 10,000 word thesis written by someone else. If you want to respond to the person, you are compelled to read the whole article. It just stifles the desire to interact. I would rather interact with another poster- not some author who has nothing to do with the conversation at hand.

I guess that quoting someone else's long work to support your point, seems, sort of, like a cop out.

2014/3/15 14:50Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
TMK..
I guess that quoting someone else's long work to support your point, seems, sort of, like a cop out.

Or like using another authors book to write your own book. It's really hard to have a debate with what someone else wrote, when the original writer of the opinion is not here. We all have a God given mind of our own, why not use our own mind/thoughts, they may be better than the copy and pasted thought of someone else, and create our own thoughts/ideas.

2014/3/15 17:11Profile
roadsign

Re:

I admit, I browse quickly through long pasted articles if I’m not into that particular topic. But maybe someone else finds the info fascinating.

But let's cut some slack here: It takes a huge amount of work to study an in-depth article. It takes time to form a well-written summary; and it takes skill to apply it to the topic under discussion. Not everyone is up to that challenge.

Of course, these days we've become accustomed to simplified predigested morsels of information - or spouting off poorly informed opinions and ingrained presumptions.

Quote:
I guess that quoting someone else's long work to support your point, seems, sort of, like a cop out. ….
Or like using another authors book to write your own book.

There's always the temptation to hand out a book or article and say: You do the work, I don't want to. But who's to judge a poster's motives!

Consider a flip side: When I pick up a book, the first thing I do is look at the bibliography. This tells me a lot about the writer, how carefully he researches his topic and who has influenced his thinking. If nothing’s cited, maybe it’s fiction.

Quote:
It's really hard to have a debate with what someone else wrote, when the original writer of the opinion is not here.

Perhaps but perhaps not. It’s hard to debate his/her position when you have not examined it thoroughly enough. You run the risk of making faulty assumptions. I’ve been guilty of that. It's laziness.

Diane

2014/3/15 21:47Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Diane wrote:

"Of course, these days we've become accustomed to simplified predigested morsels of information - or spouting off poorly informed opinions and ingrained presumptions."

true enough.

2014/3/16 7:26Profile

Re:

But does the length of the post determine the quality of what it said? Sometimes the smaller post can say the most.

To be honest my posts have probably been nothing but verbal babble. I pray that my posts will have fewer words but be more edifying.

Blaine

2014/3/16 8:20

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy