SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : We abdicate our growth to men.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

We abdicate our growth to men.

Our relationship with the Lord is primarily just that, ours. It starts there. We must be firmly rooted and grounded in Him and Him alone. The old song says ” if none go with me, still I will follow.” The modern day deification of men, or the age of the personality cult has all but foundered the church on the rocks of apathy and laziness. We abdicate our ” growth,” ( which is no growth at all) to the teachings and personality of mere men. We are living in the age of the great falling away, and only those who are founded upon the solid Rock of the Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit of the Living God will stand as the waters of false teachings rise and flood all of Christendom...............bro Frank

2014/3/11 11:06

Re: We abdicate our growth to men.

Not just our growth, but we abdicate our health to men, for poison water can kill.

All men need water to survive but not all water is good for you. Jesus intimated as much when He said:

"Whosoever drinketh of this water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life" (John 4:14).

The Lord knows that his Enemy also offers "water".

You can see that He is contrasting His water with "other" water.

Water is used for Bible doctrine, for the perfect Word of God: Ephesians 5:26, "....to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word."

The water that God gives us is pure, untainted water. It is not foul and contains nothing that could harm us.

Heb_10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with PURE water.
Rev_22:1 And he shewed me a PURE river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

Contrast that with foul water which is a metaphor in the Bible for false doctrine and teachings.

Eze 34:19 And as for my flock, they eat that which ye have trodden with your feet; AND THEY DRINK THAT WHICH YE HAVE FOULED WITH YOUR FEET.

Eze 32:2 Son of man, take up a lamentation for Pharaoh king of Egypt, and say unto him, Thou art like a young lion of the nations, and thou art as a whale in the seas: and thou camest forth with thy rivers, and TROUBLEDST THE WATERS WITH THY FEET, and FOULEDST THEIR RIVERS.

Feet are also an interesting thing:
God told Joshua that "Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, as I said unto Moses."

The Enemy of Christ wants to take possession of every place his foot trods and he is most interested in trodding upon men. Eastern conquerors used to set their feet on the necks of conquered princes, Joshua 10:22. There is not much you can do when men are standing on your neck. Remember, he seeks to counterfeit Christ, setting himself up to men AS Christ. He wants all authority and he wants to give you his water and have you drink from him. Who you drink from is who you are giving authority over to in your life.

Men can stand beside you, under you or above you, metaphorically speaking. Feet can signify authority and possession and standing.

Interestingly, Jesus does not force-feed us the water of life. We have to receive His cup of salvation and then bring it to our "mouth" and drink deeply of it. The taking and receiving of what God gives is our responsibility. The giving is His.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

I suspect we have all drank of fouled water (mixture, lies and truth). Maybe we should sip a bit more and gulp less. Slosh it around in our mouths a bit and see if we sense any bitter taste before we actually "swallow" it. Sometimes, you just don't know something is bad for you until you actually do swallow it so we need our "senses (palate) exercised to discern both good and evil" (Heb 5:13).

Unlike Adam, I don't believe we are supposed to "know" evil by experiencing it? We are to discern it, and flee from it, but not experience it. By partaking of Jesus (pure Water of Life), we will know what is foul water (discernment) and refuse it.

Here is a good test that you can keep in mind. If it takes away from Jesus Christ in any way, or diminishes Him or brings Him lower than something or someone, then it just might be a cup you don't want to drink from.

2014/3/11 12:39
savannah

Re: We abdicate our growth to men.

"Now Moses kept the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian: and he led the flock to the backside of the desert, and came to the mountain of God, even to Horeb" (Ex. 3:1).

From Egypt to "the backside of the desert", from the palace to the sheepfold, was a radical change for this man who was yet to fill so important a role. Tending flocks seems a strange preparation for one who was to be the liberator of a nation of slaves. And again we are reminded of how different are God’s thoughts and ways from man’s. And the ways of God are not only different from ours, but they are obnoxious to the flesh: as Genesis 46:31 tells us, "Every shepherd is an abomination to the Egyptians." Thus God leads His servants to take that very place which is hateful to worldlings.

"The ‘backside of the desert’ is where men and things, the world and self, present circumstances and their influences, are all valued at what they are really worth. There it is. and there alone, that you will find a Divinely-adjusted balance in which to weigh all within and all around. There are no false colors, no borrowed plumes, no empty pretensions. The enemy of your souls cannot gild the sand of that place. All is reality there. The heart that has found itself in the presence of God at ‘the backside of the desert’, has right thoughts about everything. It is raised far above the exciting influences of this world’s schemes. The din and noise, the bustle and confusion of Egypt, do not fall upon the ear in that distant place. The crash in the monetary and commercial world is not heard there; the sigh of ambition is not heard there; this world’s fading laurels do not tempt there; the thirst for gold is not felt there; the eye is never dimmed with lust, nor the heart swollen with pride there; human applause does not elate, nor human censure depress there. In a word, everything is set aside save the stillness and light of the Divine presence. God’s voice alone is heard, His light enjoyed, His thoughts received. This is the place to which all must go to be educated for the ministry; and there all must remain if they would succeed in the ministry" (C. H. M.).

What strikes us as even more strange is that Moses should have to remain forty years in Midian. But God is in no hurry; nor should we be—"He that believeth shall not make haste" (Isa. 28:16). There is much here which every servant of God needs to ponder, particularly the younger ones. In this day it is the common custom to pitchfork new converts into Christian activities without any serious inquiry as to their fitness for such solemn and momentous duties. If a person is "mighty in words and deeds" that is considered all that is necessary. "Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the Devil" (1 Tim. 3:6) might as well not be in the Bible, for all the weight it has with most of our moderns.

In a place of retirement Moses spent the second forty years of his life; a place where every opportunity for communion with God was afforded. Here he was to learn the utter vanity of human resources and the need for entire dependence on God Himself. To be much alone with God is the first requisite for every servant of His. But why is it that no details are recorded of God’s dealings with His servant during this interval? Practically nothing is told us of the experiences through which he passed, the discipline of which he was the subject, the heart exercises he suffered. As in the case of the training of the prophets, John the Baptist, Paul in Arabia, this is passed over in silence. Is it because God’s dealings with one of His servants are not fitted to another? Are there not some things we can learn neither by precept nor example? Certain it is that there is no uniform curriculum in the school of God. Each servant is dealt with according to his individual needs and disciplined with a view to the particular work which God has for him to do.

2014/3/11 14:40Profile

Re: Examples of Men Abdicating to Men

1 Samuel 8:8 is a very sobering statement by God. He reveals that the children of Israel have never pleased Him "since the day He brought them up out of Egypt even unto this day."

1Sa 8:8 According to all the works which they have done SINCE THE DAY THAT I BROUGHT THEM UP OUT OF EGYPT EVEN UNTO THIS DAY, wherewith they have forsaken me, and served other gods, so do they also unto thee.

Playing the religious fellow does not fool the Lord who sees men's hearts. He is able to discern between the "bone and the marrow".

What exactly is He talking about? How is it that Israel's works since the day they were brought up out of Egypt, only prove that they have forsaken the Lord?

In 1 Sam 8:1 we see two groups of people. When Samuel was old he made his sons judges over Israel. Obviously, they knew about and followed the ceremonial law and "graduated" to a place of being chosen as judges over Israel. But, how could Samuel who had such keen spiritual eyesight do that? Is it a weakness of men to be blind to those who are closest to them? Possibly so, because his sons did not walk in his ways. We know that Samuel's ways pleased the Lord. The Elders of Israel came to Samuel and told him what they knew about Samuel's sons. They basically accused Samuel's sons of worshipping the god of mammon and they take bribes and because of taking bribes their judgment is clouded and biased. They show favor to those who bribe them.

1Sa 8:1 And it came to pass, when Samuel was old, that he made his sons judges over Israel.
1Sa 8:2 Now the name of his firstborn was Joel; and the name of his second, Abiah: they were judges in Beersheba.
1Sa 8:3 AND HIS SONS WALKED NOT IN HIS WAYS, but turned aside after LUCRE, and took BRIBES, and PERVERTED JUDGMENT.

Earlier, I said there were two groups of people showcased in this chapter. We have religious people using godliness for gain and "elders" enamored with position and ruling over others wanting to be ruled over themselves by a man with great "credentials". These two groups had abdicated to men.

1Sa 8:4 Then all the elders of Israel gathered themselves together, and came to Samuel unto Ramah,
1Sa 8:5 And said unto him, Behold, thou art old, and thy sons walk not in thy ways: now make us a king to judge us like all the nations.

This is not something you would expect from elders that are supposed to know the Lord. Elders who could discern that Samuel was a man of God and his sons were not. But, like Samuel's sons and even Samuel himself, they had their own blind spots.

1Sa 8:6 But the thing displeased Samuel, when they said, Give us a king to judge us. And Samuel prayed unto the LORD.
1Sa 8:7 And the LORD said unto Samuel, Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, that I should not reign over them.

What did the Lord know? That, not only had the elders rejected God, but this rejection had been going on since they were delivered out of Egypt. Is it any wonder that Samuel's sons and the elders rejected God? Religion and feigning love for God had actually become part of their culture.

May the Lord have mercy on us, reveal our blind spots and keep us from rote religion and self-deception.

2014/3/11 17:48
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
We abdicate our ” growth,” ( which is no growth at all) to the teachings and personality of mere men. We are living in the age of the great falling away, and only those who are founded upon the solid Rock of the Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit of the Living God will stand as the waters of false teachings rise and flood all of Christendom

Amen brother. If we are not following the Lord Himself we do not know Him. True servant leaders in the body of Christ should be submitted to and honoured, we all need this. Yet true servant leaders will teach and show saints how to rely on the Lord Himself and be one who grows into our all the fruitfulness and maturity in the ministry of the Lord. And the chief ministry is to "know Him" (John 17:13).

Part of the great falling away is a lack of submission to any authority and for saints to not accept any "teachers" "shepherds" or "Elders" over their life. May we only submit to true shepherds that share the shepherds heart, there are a thousand deceptive voices out there. As you said dear brother we must never desire to be "like a man" (his personality) but to follow Christ. Paul was able to say follow me as I follow Christ. God forbid people want to be just like paul. But rather like His Lord.

2014/3/11 18:21Profile

Re:

One thing I like about Paul is that he wanted men to observe his walk and follow his example as "he followed Christ". Just like Jesus who said "learn of me", Paul could say essentially the same. "Follow me as I follow Christ".

With men, more is caught than taught. We observe much more than the words that a man speaks. Paul had the walk to back up his talk.

People are more apt to listen to you if they know you have the walk. Paul was greatly concerned about being a castaway (no one listening to him). Our words will have no impact if our life does not match them. A teacher and preacher without an audience is most miserable and Paul knew this.

1Co_9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Today, there are many that preach and teach but are only "castaways", because they don't have the example.

Lord, keep us walking in your pure word as Paul did. He bore the marks of Christ in his body and did not abdicate himself to men.

2014/3/11 19:20

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy