SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : a generation unwilling to submit

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

1Pe 3:7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge (be understanding), giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.

The apostle is not saying that our wives do not have strength of character or moral fortitude, or even intellectual capacity but rather that we should be considerate of them because they are weaker than us in physical strength and women are vulnerable to being taken advantage of by men (attack, abuse, etc). Some husbands just bowl right over their wives because of pride and the fact that they are stronger and don't have to worry about being defended against. Some men will "have it their way" even if it means financial ruin for the family.

A Christ-centered and cross-centered husband will demonstrate value for their wife (weaker sex) by honoring her. Honoring her will be manifested by protecting and helping her. Showing her respect and seeking to lighten her load when possible. All of this means nothing if we don't seek to relate to her courteously and with love, showing consideration and exercising tact. Of course, we are constantly learning how to do this, gaining more and more insight into our wife and her needs. And, the way you are to treat her is no different than how she is called to dwell with you.

In other societies, honor is sought by men but in Christianity we are told to pay our wives honor because they are the physically weaker sex. That does not mean they are less valuable because Peter says they are co-heirs of Christ with us. They too, have the Holy Spirit for "there is neither Jew nor Greek, bond or free, male or female".

Gal_3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

If we don't demonstrate respect and honor for our wives, Peter says our prayers will be hindered. And after all, don't our horizontal relationships with people reflect our vertical relationship with God?

Another of the Lord's commandments to us.

1Jn 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

The truth of the matter? Both husbands and wives need respect and love from each other.

Ecc 4:12 And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

May the Lord help us and strengthen our marriages that we may demonstrate excellent behavior among the Gentiles (unbelievers).

1Pe 2:12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.

2014/3/13 15:35
Sree

Re:

Quote:

The apostle is not saying that our wives do not have strength of character or moral fortitude, or even intellectual capacity but rather that we should be considerate of them because they are weaker than us in physical strength and women are vulnerable to being taken advantage of by men (attack, abuse, etc). Some husbands just bowl right over their wives because of pride and the fact that they are stronger and don't have to worry about being defended against. Some men will "have it their way" even if it means financial ruin for the family.

No, The apostle does not refer to Physical weakness here. THere are many heathen husbands who never raise their hand against their wives. One does not need divine wisdom to not physically hurt his wife. Hence there is no need for divine understanding to live with a physically weak wife.

The weakness that apostle refers here is emotional weakness. Women are naturally made very sensitive with tender emotions. They can be easily hurt emotionally. The reason God made them is way is for them to have the motherly instincts. There are certain things that only a mother can do to a child through her instincts that a father can never understand or do. For example the mother knows exactly why the child is crying, she wakes up the moment the child starts to cry. All this is possible because God made women very sensitive.

Now the apostle is saying that to live with such sensitive women a man needs divine wisdom to understand his wife and her sensitive nature. There are certain words that never hurts a man but women may find a meaning out of it and get hurt. Something that a man naturally cannot understand. That is why Apostle says that we need wisdom and understanding not to hurt our wife by our careless speech.

Quote:

Of course, we are constantly learning how to do this, gaining more and more insight into our wife and her needs.

I agree this is something that we need to learn all our life. With close to 2.5 years of married life, I still make mistakes with my words to my wife and hurt her feelings. Instead of wanting her to change and become less sensitive, I need to learn how to have my words salted by grace.

I once shared God's word in a Church and was referring to 1 Peter 3:7 and was explaining similar things about how a Husband needs wisdom to live in an understanding way. After I finished, the Church elder (who happens to be my father in law), spoke on how women should not take advantage of this understanding way and get things done that pleases them. As an elder to that Church he had a burden to speak against wives and how they take advantage. He balanced all my points by being strict against sisters who take advantage. So the point is in a family there needs to be a balance, God used the elder to bring the balance on that Sunday sermon. He had the spiritual authority to rebuke the sisters in the Church and correct them. Similarly in a family as well there needs to be a balance for bringing Glory to God.

2014/3/14 1:44Profile

Re:

Pretty much across the board, women are physically weaker. Since our emotions are part of our soul and one of the blessings of having the Holy Spirit is that He strengthens and stabilizes our emotions, I definitely could not say that across the board women are emotionally weaker than men. The Holy Spirit would not give men more stability than women. It depends on how much the person is drawing from the Lord, and planted deeply in Him.

I don't think the Apostle is saying that women are weaker in their soul (mind, will, emotions) than men. Clearly, it is a fact worldwide that they are physically weaker.

Not sure what your last paragraph is all about.

Being sensitive emotionally, does not equate to weakness, but this concept could make men feel and act superior to women.

2014/3/14 9:00
rainydaygirl

Re:

so i think all the talk about wives is kind of off topic. while i do believe that an unstable family life can contribute to rebellious children, its clearly not always the wives fault. it takes two parents to raise a child up as they should go. i kind of feel like this is becoming about women being submissive and that wasn't the point to the thread. its about children being in rebellion and not respecting their parents, its about a generation of young people expecting to be given everything and anything they like when they want it. what i am seeing is a generation of young people who have been so self indulged all they care about is "I" and this is not the way the Bible tells us we should be raising our children.

not saying you can't talk about wives but it kind of feels like things have gotten off track.

rdg

2014/3/14 9:46Profile

Re:

Yes, I agree rainydaygirl. My apologies for going off topic.

Back to unsubmissive children, right?

Often, if you spend about at least 30 minutes with a child, you can tell what the parents are like. Kids are a mirror reflecting their most important relationships. Isn't that true of all of us?

Rachel Canning's parents raised her, but it could also be stated that public schools raised her, too.

2014/3/14 10:05
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
just-in....Often, if you spend about at least 30 minutes with a child, you can tell what the parents are like. Kids are a mirror reflecting their most important relationships. Isn't that true of all of us?

Probably could use Franklin Graham and Billy Graham as an example here to answer your question, when Franklin was lost.

2014/3/14 10:49Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
i kind of feel like this is becoming about women being submissive and that wasn't the point to the thread. its about children being in rebellion and not respecting their parents, its about a generation of young people expecting to be given everything and anything they like when they want it. what i am seeing is a generation of young people who have been so self indulged all they care about is "I" and this is not the way the Bible tells us we should be raising our children.

rdg, I agree with your observations, both of the propensity to fixate on the “submission” theme, and also of the current crisis of youth. You note the influence of our societal worldviews, such as narcissism, individualism, hedonism, etc. Isn’t this is about the proverbial fruit of the Garden – the desire to be god, self master?? Yet it would be a mistake to stand in judgment on our youth – as if they themselves consciously chose to buck God. Our youth are both victims and agents of their culture, their families, their education, media, peers, etc – and their own sin bondage. Indeed, our youth make destructive choices, but they are also bent to do so. This is not about blame- whether blaming the wife (as Adam did) or the devil (as Eve did). It’s about facing the effects of human lostness and then considering God’s remedy.

And if we believe that “submission” would remedy the problem, we have surely wandered far from the great Gospel promise. Here I’m referring to “submission” as implied all too often on this forum: from a worldly perspective: passive compliance to those with the power advantages – be that parent, employer, emperor, or male. That kind of submission is sin just as much as any. It is not love, but merely feeds the "authority's"craving for power and domination. It is failure to walk by faith in our destiny. –

Let’s not look at our societal problems through this worldly paradigm – lest we merely repeat the tragic outcomes of our society’s past – and miss our wonderful destiny and hope.. and fail to pass it on to the next generation.

Diane

2014/3/14 10:54Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy