Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Should believers say

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
lindi1208

Should believers say

Hi saints

There is a common saying used universally when one dies and that saying is Rest in Peace. For the past few years I have been finding it difficult to utter these words because we do not always know the eternal destination of those who pass on especially unbelievers. Is it right to say rest in peace carelessly ? As believers we should not conform to the world and the world says rest in peace to everyone who dies. Just wondering if anyone has had similar thoughts about the term RIP

2014/3/2 16:54Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Should believers say

My favorite (not) is, "He is in a better place."

He is either in the eternal bliss of the Father's loving arms, or he is in eternal torment with the devil and the other beings who rejected the Grace offered.

Wow what a difference! One would think any rational person would make careful inquiry about one's destination with so much at stake. Peaceful resting is so much not a part of either destination anyway!

Why when there is an angry elephant in the room do people spend so much time straightening the doilies??

2014/3/2 19:47Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Should believers say

lindi,

You bring up a subject I also question.

"Rest in Peace" - this to me would indicate the deceased existence was filled with pain, trauma prior to his death. Now that he/she is dead he will be relieved from this painful existence. Perhaps not all view it as such?

To assure the loved ones of their deceased relative's eternal destiny as being in heaven, I do not think we have the right to say this is the case because we do not know. If you knew the person quite well is another story. But there are folks who will declare all but the most vile folks as being with the LORD upon their death. To me this is issuing a false hope and that is dreadful, IMHO.

Got any more thoughts on this, lindi?

2014/3/3 6:41Profile
lindi1208

Re:

"Wow what a difference! One would think any rational person would make careful inquiry about one's destination with so much at stake. Peaceful resting is so much not a part of either destination anyway!"

Staff that is true I think we do not use rational at times and it is actually a careful thought on guarding one's mouth and tongue that sort of led to musing on this RIP / He is in peace mantra! Essentially when we utter those words carelessly we could be telling a lie without realising it.

Ginnyrose wrote

"To assure the loved ones of their deceased relative's eternal destiny as being in heaven, I do not think we have the right to say this is the case because we do not know. If you knew the person quite well is another story. But there are folks who will declare all but the most vile folks as being with the LORD upon their death. To me this is issuing a false hope and that is dreadful, IMHO. "

This is my exact sentiment. I find it hard to reassure loved ones by using those words if I do it's like I have made a judgment which could very well be false hence I will be telling and affirming a lie adding on to false hope.

I too have also observed that everyone in the world says their loved ones are in heaven but when it comes to the most evil it's not so. I guess we always have to guard our mouths and thoughts always against sin this RIP is one such lie that can ensnare believers if used carelessly and as Staff pointed out without rationalisation we easily become liars.

2014/3/3 15:07Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy