Discussion Forum : General Topics : Question about state lotteries

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

I recall an old proverb but cannot recall it's origin, it says:

"Ill gotten gain is foolishly spent." Never is that more true than in gambling.

2005/4/8 13:09Profile
Angyl

Re:

Wife 'n I USED to play the PowerBall on occasion.

had (still have) grandiose dreams about what to do with that money if we ever won. Don't believe anyone in their right mind needs that much money in the bank or anywhere else, so after paying off some bills and buying a house, we'd planned on putting just enough in the bank ($700K) to live comfortably off the interest...[b]AND GIVE THE REST AWAY[/b].

Needless to say, that never happened.

It came to a point about a year ago when I decided. "Ya know... the Lord knows our plans and our hearts. If he wanted us to take this money and do with it what we dream, he'd give it to us. So here it is. I'll play it one, more, time..."

We didn't win... that's it. I'm not droppin' another dolla in there and am convinced that I'd [b]NEVER[/b] win.

I don't miss it... though I still dream, of course. :-)

Now, some interesting tidbits about Lotteries:

According to polls...MOST people who win the lottery are broke again within 5 years.

Same polls report that MOST people who won are unhappy.

Your odds of winning the lottery jackpot can be visualized like this:

Your local professional stadium holds seating for tens of thousands of people.

Envision each one of those seats with ONE THOUSAND envelopes stacked on them.

Your odds of winning the lottery entail you picking the RIGHT seat...and the right envelope. Would you pay a dollar for that shot? Especially knowing that every time you paid, the winning envelope would move somewhere else? :-o

Most people might try a few times, but they'd give up very quickly, faced with such a daunting task. The problem is that most people can not sufficiently visualize the staggering odds against their winning.

As far as the state giving the money to education...we ALL know that's a crock. It doesn't happen. Unfortunately, these things, like most in this country nowadays, are simply out of the control of the people and in the hands of the few.

2005/4/8 13:41Profile

Re:

Angyl... Great post. Your's too Robert, thanx!

It will be interesting. I feel kinda odd saying this, but hopefully the tobacco lobby will help get this shut down.

Angyl said:

Quote:
As far as the state giving the money to education...we ALL know that's a crock. It doesn't happen. Unfortunately, these things, like most in this country nowadays, are simply out of the control of the people and in the hands of the few.

You bet, the education thing is a joke. As to your last sentence, you reminded me of my favorite line from the movie "The Patriot":

[b]Why should I agree to swap one tyrant three thousand miles away for three thousand tyrants one mile away?[/b]

(I highly recommend that movie to all my friends over in the UK who are reading this... hee hee hee!!)

Krispy

2005/4/8 16:40

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy