SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : RC Sproul

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Hi Lars,

Not sure where you are going with this..could you elaborate?
Also, interesting that I was listening to this very message this afternoon.

Mike

2004/1/16 21:52Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

The structures built by men, our attitudes towards and ways of handling goods – material things as well as thoughts – brings us to the conclusion that our system is very helpful to God, even better than his way of spreading the Gospel. We have a built in urge to do and to be seen, we are so keen on playing numerical games – largest, most efficient, receiving recognition.
It is our attitude that needs to change, change radically, as to what is efficient, as to what will suit the purposes of God, as to what reflects the mind of Christ.

2004/1/16 22:34Profile
moreofHim

Re:

Paul called himself a bondslave of Jesus Christ (Rom.1:1). That is what all the early apostles were. Jesus is looking today for bondslaves - not servants. There is a difference between a servant and a slave.[b]A servant works for pay. A slave gets no salary. [/b]

God has no servants under the new covenant, only bondslaves. Jesus never offered any salary to those whom He called to be His apostles. If we are called to full-time Christian work, let us ensure that we never work for a salary, or else we will end up as servants of men. Let us not serve our churches, expecting people to give us gifts. If they choose to do so, without our expecting anything from them, that is allright. But we should never expect anything from anyone. We must also make it a principle that we will never receive any money from those whose standard of living is lower than ours. The highest way to serve the Lord in full-time work, however, is the way Paul served the Lord as an apostle - by having some secular employment, so that we are not dependent on anyone's gifts for our needs (1 Cor.9:14-18; 2 Cor.11:7-15; Acts 20:33,34). We cannot be servants of the new covenant, if we are working for pay. We must be bondslaves. If we feel that we have a right to comforts and conveniences, then we are paid servants, not bondslaves. A bondslave has no right to anything - not even to honour or reputation. If God gives us a house to live in, we are thankful. But we will serve Him, even if we don't have a house to live in. The fact that He gives us the privilege to build the Body of Christ is more than enough for us when we are true bondslaves.

~Zac Poonen (A Bondslave of Christ)

2004/1/17 6:19Profile
-David

Re:

eagleswings said:
"You might want to check out: (link removed) on "Discernment Notebook" and "Exposes""

Rick Miesel may want to point that "Discernment" ray gun at himself once and see what comes up. It's only fair so here is a "exposes" on him... http://www.smartlink.net/~phillipj/miesel.htm

-David

2004/1/17 11:21Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Rick Miesel may want to point that "Discernment" ray gun at himself once and see what comes up.

hmm how much do those ray guns cost? :-D

2004/1/17 11:23Profile
revivaltheology

Re: RC Sproul

Sproul is a strict five-point Calvinist. In other words, if one ends up in hell or hell, it is only because God willed it, and for that reason alone.

2004/1/17 13:20Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Sproul is a strict five-point Calvinist. In other words, if one ends up in hell or hell, it is only because God willed it, and for that reason alone.

Yes, that doesn't really fit into anything I have read in the Bible. We need to seek Jesus who is truth itself and stop focusing on these men. Calvin was a great man of God because he looked much to Jesus. The irony is that his disciples and followers quickly casted their gaze off the heavenly master to Calvin's revelations of God, instead of having the same access way and power with God that Calvin had.

2004/1/17 13:24Profile
revivaltheology

Re:

If anyone who wants to know the real truth about John Calvin, please feel free to email me. I am not free to post it here, according to Greg.

As to R.C. Sproul, I'm sure he's a great guy.

2004/1/17 14:04Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I realize you don't want me to re-post that which you just deleted, but for anyone who wants to know the real truth about John Calvin, please feel free to email me.

I delted the post because it was already stated in this forum:
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=887&forum=36&start=0&viewmode=flat&order=0] John Calvin's Bodycount...[/url]

We live in such a dim light of the power of the Gospel compared to many men back in the days of Calvin. How much difference are our life's making for God? I am not a person to promote John Calvin for I really don't agree with all the doctrines associated with Him. But the fact of the matter is after reading part of his commentary on Romans, He had a passion and experince of Christ that dwarf's and overshadows my day to day walk and I am sure also John (revivaltheology) it does yours too!

Let's get serious about being serious! can we point the finger at a man's faults and then think that we are better off? sure we don't kill people (having them executed) but the way we life our comfortable North Americian style lives with so much wealth (materialy and spiritualy) and Gospel-light that its a crime towards the rest of the world. As keith green used to say: "This generation of Christians is responsible for this entire generation of lost souls."

Personally looking at Calvin's walk in Christ and example is much brighter than many other men these days.. Do you realize how much Christ meant to John Calvin and how He gave his entire life to Him, every thought and action. He woke up and thought of Christ and went to sleep thinking of Christ. He followed in the footsteps of Christ and needed the daily cleansing of His blood. Are we much better? I commit this statement: "I need Christ even more than John Calvin"

2004/1/17 14:18Profile
revivaltheology

Re:

Hi Greg,

Sorry, I don't buy your argument that Calvin was some kind of shining star in the evangelical firmament, so to speak. The Bible says "no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him." Calvin did nothing BUT defend his persecutorial actions to his death. He never repented of any of these things.

Calvin was no hero; he was just a philosophical determinist who felt the need to put to death anyone who contradicted him or his teachings.

In any case, the standard is JESUS. What would Jesus say to what Calvin did? Can one claim to follow Christ and yet consistently act like the Devil? Paul said that a leader in the church must be blameless...not violent...etc.

I am really saddened by your defense of the sins of Calvin, Greg. I was under the impression, based on the preachers you feature here, that you believed a Christian had to live a holy life, especially those who claim to be "men of God."

2004/1/17 14:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy