SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : manipulation

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
rainydaygirl

manipulation

what is the best way to share with someone who is very often given to manipulating others around them? Manipulation is sin(at least that is my understanding of it) and I want to help this person but am not sure what is best way to proceed.

any thoughts, i realize this morning that manipulation can be very subtle at times and perhaps this person does not realize that they are in fact manipulating by the words they choose and use. anyone deal with this? what has God shown you?

here is a definitions, manipulation is a type of social influence that aims to change the perception or behavior of others through underhanded, deceptive, or even abusive tactics
rdg

2014/2/13 11:51Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re: manipulation

Read acts 8 about Simon and Acts 13 about Elymas. Both men were masters of manipulation. You can see how Peter and Paul both handled them.

The most important thing is, being motivated by love, to present the Gospel in its fullness and cling to truth. Don't back down at all, in regards to what is right and what the Spirit is telling you.

There is a man that I am witnessing to who does this exact thing. The first time I set eyes on Him, the Spirit told me that He was lost and I needed to give Him the Gospel.

No matter how many different stories he'd tell me of a supposedly past conversion (and they varied wildly), I would not believe it. I use scriptures and no matter how many times he says, "I am just backslidden" I bring up again and again what the scriptures say about those who are believers.

2014/2/13 14:41Profile
Beige

Please review this video teaching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZoleQVsCEE

Derek Prince was an international bible teacher who did some excellent teaching on witchcraft -- of which manipulation is a part of.

Derek exposes witchcraft as the base "universal" religion which people use to control and manipulate others. People who manipulate others use forces and spirits to exercise their domain. This in and of itself speaks of the horribly evil nature of this sin. And it is amazing how prevalent this sin is -- it is in many, many places and we are confronted with it everyday!

The Holy Spirit, who is an equal person of the Godhead, no human spirit or other spirit can control. So logically manipulation and/or witchcraft can be defined as using any force and/or spirit to control others. Nobody can use the Holy Spirit to manipulate others. He is the power and anointing that breaks the bonds of witchcraft and stops the manipulator.

I work with a man who has been a master manipulator. He has an almost endless list of victims who have been robbed, cheated and oppressed. And all within the safe limits of the law. Usually his victims are socially and economically powerless -- voiceless and broken -- and his antics of witchcraft further destroys his victims lives and weakens their families' safety -- He ironically is known as a "prince" among his affluent allies and "peers." His favorite television program is "Survivor." When his path crosses mine and he attempts to manipulate me into helping oppress another victim I pray against the spirits behind him -- binding them in Jesus' name -- And, well just yesterday another one of his schemes against another innocent co-worker just collapsed and evaporated. And here is the most interesting part of that story in my opinion: Before my prayers were effective in this particular spiritual battle field God took me through a time of personal introspection wherein I was able to identify times and situations in which I had been the manipulator! At those times I did not even realize I was committing sin! God exposed these hidden sins to me and brought me to repentance!

I believe that our culture has further helped further promulgate the sin of witchcraft by renaming the sin with the more benign term "manipulate." Here are just a few verses that show how clearly God condemns the sin of witchcraft:

1Sa 15:23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idol-worship. Because you have rejected the Word of Jehovah, He has also rejected you from being king!

2Ch_33:6 And he caused his sons to pass through the fire in the valley of the son of Hinnom. He also practiced secret arts, and used fortune-telling, and used witchcraft, and dealt with mediums, and with soothsayers. He did much evil in the sight of Jehovah in order to provoke Him to anger.

In the verse above God classes the sins of witchcraft and practicing secret arts as equal in abhorrence to human sacrifice.

The problem I see with your "friend" who is a manipulator -- is that he must come to full repentance and hate this sin. He must see that his actions are those of an enemy of God and an enemy of God's people in the spiritual battles we are engaged in. He must make repentance an act of his will and it must come from his heart.

Even some people's acts of repentance are an act of manipulation.

And here is another example of religious manipulation: Religious manipulation that I believe can be exposed by looking at (while asking God for discernment) some of the mistaken prosperity teaching from the past. Some false prosperity teaching preyed upon people's emotions and base lusts and got them to give to get in a manner that was motivated for entirely the wrong reasons. So even the giver (who had probably just been fleeced) was often then trying to manipulate God into giving them a life of affluence. So greed and the lust for power can be the iniquities which fuel this sin. (Thank God there is true and godly prosperity.)

Only God can break the bonds your associate is bound with and only God can break the tethers this man binds others with. Please take him before the throne of God as God gives you the unction and pray, pray, pray the prayers of intercession.

2014/2/14 3:58Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

QUOTE:

here is a definitions, manipulation is a type of social influence that aims to change the perception or behavior of others through underhanded, deceptive, or even abusive tactic

My take....

The manipulation that aims to change the perception is the most subtle in my opinion. It usually begins when you tell a person something and they will disbelieve you - never mind that you have a reputation for honesty. People deny reality and will work to build up what I call fantasy.

You are right, rdg...and how to minister to a person like that will mean you have to dig in your heels...and stand for truth. Truth is under assault everywhere. It's a wonder people are not challenging the simple addition of 2+2=4.

My opinion...

2014/2/14 14:19Profile
proudpapa

Hi rdg

Do you believe this person is unawaringly manipulative or have they studied up on being a manipulator ?

I have been in struggle with a father-in-law whom not only is a natural manipulator but whom after he left, I discovered that he had much material about manipulating others that was disguised under the heading of christian leadership Literature, It is scary to relieze the poision that preachers and sales/buisness people are reading believing that it will help them to be better leaders. I would encourage anyone whom has such material to burn it. but more scary than that he had at least one book pertaining to the spirtual side of this which was disguized under the heading of positive thinking/healing.

The mess that sin along with all of that material has done with his mind is unbelievable.
But what is even more unbelivable is with all of his blantently obvious lies, he still draws people in.

2014/2/14 15:08Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

rdg,

Ephesians 6.12 - For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

I do not think that listening to that Derek Prince sermon on The Enemies We Face we hurt you at all and may in fact give you direction.

Please DO NOT think "you" can help this person, you cannot. Spend time in fasting and prayer to find out what the LORD wants to do about the situation. [edit] because manipulation is demonic in nature.[/edit]

I say this because my sister is a master manipulator and I have prayed for her, confronted her and Beige is correct about, "that he must come to full repentance and HATE THIS SIN. He must see that his actions are those of an enemy of God..." Until the person is contrite, we cannot change them. My sister is in the Lord hands and I only deal with her when I have to, it's become that bad.

And this is just another person's opinion on the subject!

God bless,
Lisa

2014/2/14 18:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy