SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Why is Love greater than faith...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
HeartSong

Why is Love greater than faith...

"Why is Love greater than faith? Because the end is greater than the means. And why is it greater than charity? Because the whole is greater than the part. Love is greater than faith, because the end is greater than the means. What is the use of having faith? It is to connect the soul with God. And what is the object of connecting man with God? That he may become like God. But God is Love. Hence Faith, the means, is in order to Love, the end. Love, therefore, obviously is greater than faith." - Henry Drummond

2014/1/22 1:54Profile

Re: Why is Love greater than faith...

Faith involves trust and trust requires the sense of safety and belief. You trust one that does not hate you. On the contrary we trust those who we feel safe with and love us.

So faith, worketh by love. One needs the other.

Gal 5:6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

2014/1/22 18:28
HeartSong

Re:

And oh how we Love such a great and awesome God who cares for our every need and is the beauty of Holiness that flows through every moment of every day. Who loves us enough to work everything that is beautiful into our nature - weaving a tapestry so flawless that our hearts overflow with thankfulness at the perfection that He worketh in is.

2014/1/22 21:50Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Amen! Gal 5:6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

2014/1/22 21:51Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Yes, faith works by Love, therefore Love is greater than faith. God is Love, and it is through and by Love - through God and His love and by His workings in us - that we gain faith.

2014/1/22 22:41Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: faith and love

Could it be that faith is the road, love is the destination? You can't get to love without traveling the road of faith, but you won't take the road unless you really want to get to the love.

Dunno, car and road analogies have been worked to death- sorry...

2014/1/22 23:31Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Well, for me, I was first apprehended by His Love. And it has been by His love, and through His love, that faith is slowly being worked in. This by ever increasing difficult situations that He allows me to step into by which I am sustained and held by His love - situations that clearly would have done me in had I not been held by His Love. Which only causes me to love Him more, and at the same time produces more faith - faith that He can, and will carry me through EVERYTHING!

So He (Love) is the first and the last, the beginning and the end - for of Him, and through Him and to Him are all things.

2014/1/23 0:05Profile

Re:

And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity. 1 Cor 13:13

Do you know why Charity is the proper word to be used, here?

2014/1/23 8:21
HeartSong

Re:

Charity is, or should be, the outpouring of ourselves unto others.

Continuing with the initial quote:
"It (Love) is greater than charity, again, because the whole is greater than a part. Charity is only a little bit of Love, one of the innumerable avenues of Love, and there may even be, and there is, a great deal of charity without Love. It is a very easy thing to toss a copper to a beggar in the street; it is generally an easier thing than not to do it. Yet Love is just as often in the withholding. We purchase relief from the sympathetic feelings roused by the spectacle of misery, at the copper's cost. It is too cheap-- too cheap for us, and often too dear for the beggar. If we really loved him we would either do more for him, or less."

2014/1/24 13:55Profile

Re:

Yes, that is what 1 Cor 13 is about. Brotherly love and kindness.

Have a look at this and tell me what you think.

http://brandplucked.webs.com/charity.htm

2014/1/24 17:27

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy