SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : Registering For An Account On SermonIndex - Why Taken Down And The Future

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Registering For An Account On SermonIndex - Why Taken Down And The Future

Dear Saints,

With over 10 years of the Lord using the discussion forums in a way that has glorifed Jesus Christ we do desire to see this continue. The registration for new members of the community has been restricted for the last 6 months for many various reasons namely intially security and abuse issues.

We are very thankful to the Lord that there have been over 80,000 registered members that are currently registered on the website with thousands of these still active. Also there have been over 100,000 posts on the discussion forum and much encouragement to believers through these discussions.

Our desire is to see this vital part of the ministry continue but we are still praying how to go forward technically and also in the Lord's will.

Please do keep in prayer for this ministry daily.

Also consider joining social media sites to interact:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sermonindex
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/sermonindex
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/sermonindex/
Google+: https://plus.google.com/+SermonindexNet/

THE FUTURE

We are still considering many ideas on how to go forward. We might be having a restricted register page where saints will have to go through something of an interview process to get access. Some Christian forums that work on the web do this to a measure. Another thought is to start an official SermonIndex Blog with many contributors and transits all the accounts into this blog so saints can comment on blog posts and interact that way.

Thank you for your continual prayers and the moderators of the site consider these things and we continue to be faithful to what God has called us to do.

2014/1/18 16:47Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: Registering For An Account On SermonIndex - Why Taken Down And The Future

Thanks for sharing this dear brother.

2014/1/19 8:59Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Interesting. If I might suggest, if technologically possible, require that in order to be a member who can participate in the forums, and to remain active on the site, that you must regularly download x number of sermons. Like, maybe 10 to begin with, and then one a month or something to that effect. That should reduce the spam and trolls.

Personally speaking, I prefer the interactions I've gained through Facebook over the forums. However, I would not have made a lot of those great connections were it not for the forums. Maybe just have people interact on the SI fan page on FB, and other social media sites?

2014/1/19 12:05Profile

Re:

Some people don't like Facebook, so that won't work.

2014/1/19 16:13
staff

Re:

Hi Moderators,
I'm not sure forcing people to be active is a good idea.
The combination of forum and sermons has been great for many thousands over the decade.I pray you find peace about the way forward.I would like to see a bible study tool type link that while you are listening you can read on the same page sort of thing.I would not like to see the webpage become insular or inward looking.
I would like you if you think its right that you share your thoughts and to share whats going on at this moment so we will be able to pray accurately for you and the way forward.
I guess what I'm saying is we are here if you need us.
Thanks Staff

2014/1/19 18:11Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Why not just add a simple Captcha like security check point to the forum? You don't even have to do the crazy illegible Captcha imaging that some sites use. I know some sites simply put a randomly generated phrase on the screen, like "What is 1 + 1?" Or they show a picture of a car and ask "What color is the car?"

It just seems to me that there are a lot of options out there today to reduce robot based spam, without having to go to an extreme measure like shutting down registration, and maybe removing the forums altogether. And considering Sermon Index has been using what appears to be the same basic format/technology for over ten years now, perhaps a slight tweak in the programs being used to feed content and host discussions is in order? Especially when there are simply so many options available today.

I think a lot of what has made Sermon Index great over the years has been the great sense of community that exists through this site. To borrow marketing guru Seth Godin's language, this website is a "tribe." And a lot of what makes Sermon Index so successful, in my opinion, is the ability of this "tribe" to communicate and exchange ideas with one another over our common interest. The forums are a great means of doing such, and removing them would probably hurt the mission of this website, as the forums help retain a lot of people in keeping them connected.

2014/1/20 7:54Profile
Onesetfree

Canada

Re: Registering For An Account On SermonIndex - Why Taken Down And The Future

Accountability and demonstration of a Christ like attitude.

* Require Avatars - not any picture but actual pictures of the poster. Many may not like this but it is a way of accountability - many will not say things if there is a direct connection and personal consequences

* Section the forum for easier moderation. Those who review, download, attend SI conferences and fellowship will have their own level of access. This would require more openness - church name, church position, email address and so forth. This would require more accountability with one another but if the heart is pure, there should not be an issue.

* New members are required to fill out an application - and sign off includes breaking terms of fellowship may result in deleted account and for the sake of Christian community and protection, new member posts will be monitored before public release

Many may feel doing this will cause security concerns and with increase persecution may result in possible concerns - this would not occur, with Facebook, twitter, Pintrest, Googel+, mobile phones and everything else we use - we are being tracked enough.

Trusting the Lord will take this site where HE wants....

2014/2/16 9:44Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

by Onesetfree on 2014/2/16 9:44:13

Accountability and demonstration of a Christ like attitude.

* Require Avatars - not any picture but actual pictures of the poster. Many may not like this but it is a way of accountability - many will not say things if there is a direct connection and personal consequences--

i would have to leave this forum if this became a requirement as i do not post my picture on the internet. i do not feel it is safe to do so. also i do not use facebook, twitter, or the other sites mentioned. honestly sermon index is the only place i come to that i post at and that is because of the moderators keeping things Biblical but if they feel led to take things another way here and require other accounts, pictures, or giving of person information,(full name, home address, telephone numbers ect.) i will have to part ways. I don't have a problem having my posts monitored, or giving my testimony but i do have issue being a female giving out personal info on the internet for people i do not know to see.

rdg

2014/2/16 11:00Profile
Onesetfree

Canada

Re:

:) There are always ways to accommodate exceptions...

I am sure the Lord will put in the hearts of the moderators to make the forum a safe place to post and fellowship.

2014/2/16 11:22Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

These are all tremendous observations and suggestions, we will prayerfully consider them all.

2014/2/16 12:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy