SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Gospel: "The" Message of Christianity by Paul Washer

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 The Gospel: "The" Message of Christianity by Paul Washer

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the greatest of all treasures given to the Church and the individual Christian. It is not “a” message among many, but “the” message above them all. It is the power of God for salvation and the greatest revelation of the manifold wisdom of God to men and angels.[1] It is for this reason that the apostle Paul gave the Gospel the “first place” in his preaching, endeavored with all his might to proclaim it clearly, and even went so far as to pronounce a curse upon all those who would pervert its truth.[2]

Each generation of Christians is a steward of the Gospel message and is called upon to guard through the Holy Spirit this treasure that has been entrusted to it.[3] If we are to be faithful stewards, we must be absorbed in the study of the Gospel, take great pains to understand its truths,[4] and pledge ourselves to guard its contents. In doing so, we will ensure salvation both for ourselves and for those who hear us.[5]

As is commonly known, the word “gospel” comes from the Greek word euangélion, which is properly translated “good news.” In one sense, the Gospel is found on every page of Scripture, but in another sense, the Gospel refers to a very specific message – the salvation accomplished for a fallen people through the life, death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
In accordance with the Father’s good pleasure,[6] the eternal Son, who is equal with the Father and the exact representation of His nature,[7] willingly left the glory of heaven, was conceived by the Holy Spirit in the womb of a virgin, and was born the God-Man - Jesus of Nazareth.[8] As a man, He walked on this earth in perfect obedience to the Law of God.[9] In the fullness of time, He was rejected by men and crucified. On the cross, He bore man’s sin, suffered God’s wrath, and died in man’s place.[10] On the third day, He was raised from the dead. This resurrection is the divine declaration that the Father has accepted His Son’s death as a sacrifice for sin. The penalty for man’s disobedience has been paid, the demands of justice satisfied, and the wrath of God appeased.[11] Forty days after the resurrection, the Son of God ascended into the heavens, sat down at the right hand of the Father, and was given glory, honor, and dominion over all.[12] There in the presence of God, He represents His people and makes requests to God on their behalf.[13] All who acknowledge their sinful, helpless estate, and throw themselves upon Christ will be fully pardoned, declared righteous, and reconciled to God.[14] This is the Gospel of God and of Jesus Christ His Son.

This is an exerpt from "The Gospel Power and Message" by Paul Washer available through Reformation Heritage Books or Amazon.

[1] Romans 1:16; Ephesians 3:10
[2] I Corinthians 15:3; Colossians 4:4; Galatians 1:8-9
[3] II Timothy 1:14
[4] I Timothy 4:15
[5] I Timothy 4:16
[6] Acts 2:23
[7] Philippians 2:6; Hebrews 1:3
[8] Philippians 2:7; Luke 1:35
[9] Hebrews 4:15
[10] I Peter 2:24; I Peter 3:18; Isaiah 53:10
[11] Luke 24:6; Romans 1:4; Romans 4:25
[12] Hebrews 1:3; Matthew 28:18; Daniel 7:13-14
[13] Luke 24:51; Philippians 2:9-11; Hebrews 1:3; Hebrews 7:25
[14] Mark 1:15; Romans 10:9; Philippians 3:3

from: http://www.heartcrymissionary.com/directors-blog/post/the-gospel:--the--message-of-christianity

2013/12/28 3:00Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re: The Gospel: "The" Message of Christianity by Paul Washer

Paul Washer is a guy who I love in some way and in other ways he simply irritates the mess out of me.

I love his passion and how he tries so hard to get his listeners to understand the cross and how it relates to us and communion with God.

He irritates me because sometimes, maybe often times, he sounds so angry when he preaches that at times I ask myself is he made at his audience? Does he preach like he preaches because his figures the audience is shallow? He has apologized for his attitude at times as well which is good. He reminds me of David Wilkerson when David would preach a stern message only David did it with a cry in his voice. Paul has a half cry and half anger there.

I often find myself distancing myself a bit from his angry self when he preaches but focusing on his heart in his message instead because I know what he say has good depth to it but his approach can be a bit over the topic. Like a Charismatic but on the opposite end. More Fundamentalistic without being controlled or rooted by legalism in his preaching.

2013/12/28 18:04Profile
Elibeth

Re: The Gospel: "The" Message of Christianity by Paul Washer

Greg,
I have never heard this man preach,But I have heard many people say this same thing,that he is saying,,..that 'this is the gospel.'
Yet I have never heard Jesus or Paul,or the other Disciples/Apostles, speak it this way.
Also,Because I talk of the Kingdom a lot,..I feel like I need to say,that I am NOT of the Denomination of 'The Jehovahs Witness'. ( Although I am a witness of Jesus )

Jesus,We know,came preaching,The gospel of the kingdom of Heaven/God.
* Repent,and make straight paths for your feet.
Lk.8:1,says,'He,(Jesus)went throughout every city and village,preaching the glad tidings of the kingdom of God;

*A sower went out to sow His SEED,(Sow His Seed(Word) in our heart,...What is That Word,that He sows in our heart ? (as we continue to read about the Seed
,The Word,in The Kingdom in Lk.8 )If we are to know the mysteries of The Kingdom,we must have Spiritual ears to hear the Words of The Kingdom,hear Him speak to us through The Spirit,..directing/leading us. Isn't it ,the Words of The kingdom,...From start: 'Repent, to how we are to walk under the Leadership /Head,..of The King,in His KIngdom?

The good news,as this man says 'gospel' means'Good news' ,...It is really Good news, because: * When there was NO way,He,Jesus,Who is The Way,made A Way for us,though His Blood,an entrance has been made for us,to enter in, into 'His Way,through His Truth>>> unto Life >>>(from the dead)

Jesus,Himself,said "THIS" Gospel of The Kingdom" shall be preached :

Mt.24:14,..And This Gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world
for a witness unto all nations;then shall the end come.

* Jesus came preaching,and continued preaching The gospel of the kingdom of God.
Isn't it All about The Kingdom of God,..The Way of The King ?

Lk.12:32,Jesus says,Fear not,little flock;for it is the Father's good pleasure to give you The Kingdom.

( The Kingdom of God is within you,...the Father will put it there,when we are born of the Spirit of God,...The Holy Spirit) But it has come to do a work in us.....To be led by His Spirit".....'For as many,as are led by The Spirit oif God,they are the son's / children of God.

* this is the witness that is within me,..when we sit at Jesus' feet ../ walk,and learn of Him,(like Mary,who sat at His feet and was taught by Him,..He said,No man could take that away from her)...and this is what He has so Graciously showed me is this:

'The Kingdom of God is The Resurected Lord in us.'
meaning: He comes in,by way of the Holy Spirit to be Lord / King in His Kingdom,.. in our life.

The Gospel:,....It is the gospel of The Kingdom.

There is so much more to say,..though,not now.

Blessings in Him,
elizabeth

2013/12/28 21:07Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
He irritates me because sometimes, maybe often times, he sounds so angry when he preaches that at times I ask myself is he made at his audience? Does he preach like he preaches because his figures the audience is shallow? He has apologized for his attitude at times as well which is good. He reminds me of David Wilkerson when David would preach a stern message only David did it with a cry in his voice. Paul has a half cry and half anger there.

Brother, in my estimation when I have seen brother Paul angry when preaching it was preaching against sin or a wrong teaching or doctrine that believers were preaching. I would also strongly recommend for you towards speaking of speakers and their lives that we should not critique and critisize men of God in these forums. If we have a genuine concern we should go to them privately via email or through their local church. Imagine it was you preaching and others on discussion forums talking about how you fall short in your message etc.

So on SermonIndex we do have a guiding principle:

7. SLANDERING OTHERS - We have a zero tolerance on slander, evil-speaking and speaking against a person's character without warrant. 'Slander no one.' / 'to malign no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing every consideration for all men.' NASB (Titus 3:2). This is a very important biblical principle and we ask that you would especially respect the biblical method of approaching a brother privately (Matthew 18:15). Also there are hundreds of websites in the internet that exclusively post wrong teachings, errors and question the character of Christians, we do not want SermonIndex to be seen as such a ministry and ask that all forum members do not participate in posting in what is wrong. We believe simply that truth dispels errors and to focus on the truth will shine a light into all the darkness.
from: https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=44556&forum=13

Quote:
Yet I have never heard Jesus or Paul,or the other Disciples/Apostles, speak it this way.
Also,Because I talk of the Kingdom a lot,..I feel like I need to say,that I am NOT of the Denomination of 'The Jehovahs Witness'. ( Although I am a witness of Jesus )

Dear sister,

I believe that the Gospel is definetly a message as well as a person. And as you referenced that person is also a King of a Kingdom! We cannot seperate any of this. But is very important to teach and believe that the Good News of the Gospel is that God died in our place on the cross that His Son shed His blood.

Now that we are purchased to God we are part of His kingdom but that is a fruit of the Gospel and not the "heart" of the Gospel. Christ dying for sins is beyond important, it is everything. That is why Paul said he boasted in nothing except the cross of Christ.

Here is a good short article on this:

Principle 10 – Preaching the Good News (pdf)
http://gospelfellowships.net/pdf/principle10.pdf

2013/12/28 21:15Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Greg

I have not slandered Paul Washer. I am simply sharing my feelings when I listen to his preaching. It is a love hate relationship. Are you saying no one on this forum should show concern for any preacher and should only voice praise on preachers? I cannot do that but if I do voice my opinion I lay out what my concern is and then I ask if I am off base with my assessment. Sometimes I am and sometimes I am not.

Paul has stated in one of his messages that he doesn't mean to preach in a angry mode but sometimes it just happens.

2013/12/29 15:50Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I have not slandered Paul Washer. I am simply sharing my feelings when I listen to his preaching. It is a love hate relationship. Are you saying no one on this forum should show concern for any preacher and should only voice praise on preachers? I cannot do that but if I do voice my opinion I lay out what my concern is and then I ask if I am off base with my assessment. Sometimes I am and sometimes I am not.

Paul has stated in one of his messages that he doesn't mean to preach in a angry mode but sometimes it just happens.

Dear brother,

I am simply saying that we should probably try and find things that we see in the brother that we can emulate before finding his faults. There is very little fruit in finding faults especially in preachers, we all have them. But we are all progressing towards Christ-likeness and need to focus on such. Otherwise we focus on men and not the Lord.

And I do recommend you share these things privately with brother Paul if it is a "concern" you have.

I posted about Slander because it is something for all of us including myself to be reminded of. I am not saying you were doing this in a terrible way but we all can in a small way not use our words rightly as we should or in the right way. So I am asking you to consider this.

Thank you brother.

2013/12/29 15:55Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy