SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Purged, purified, and refined.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Purged, purified, and refined.

Quote:

"Many will be purged (H1305), purified (H3835a) and refined (H6884), but the wicked will act wickedly; and none of the wicked will understand, but those who have insight will understand.
(Daniel 12:10)

H1305
בּרר
barar (140d); a prim. root; to purify, select: - choice (2), chosen (2), cleanse (1), pure you show (2), purge (2), purged (1), purified (1), purify (1), select (1), sharpen (1), show yourself pure (2), sincerely (1), tested (1).

H3835a
לבן
laben (526a); a prim. root; to be white: - become white (1), make them pure (1), purified (1), white (1), whiter (1).

H6884
צרף
tsaraph (864a); a prim. root; to smelt, refine, test: - goldsmith (5), goldsmiths (2), pure (1), refine (3), refined (5), refiner’s (1), refining goes (1), silversmith (2), smelt (1), smelter (2), smith (1), test (2), tested (4), tried (2).

NASB & NASEC

What are the implications of and differences between these words?

2013/11/23 10:20

Re: Purged, purified, and refined.

That's a great question brother. I have not looked at it before but it makes sense to me as l believe in a three stage sanctification process. The refining is especially of interest to me as it occurs after the purifying and l believe it continues until death. I am sure that there are some spiritual gems to be had in a study of metalwork.

2013/11/23 10:39

Re:

Some other translations.

Quote:

Many shall be purified, cleansed, and refined, but the wicked shall continue to act wickedly. None of the wicked shall understand, but those who are wise shall understand.
Dan 12:10 NRSV

Many shall be purified and made white and tested. But the wicked ones shall do wickedly. And not one of the wicked ones shall understand, but the ones acting wisely shall understand.
Daniel 12:10 KJ3

Many shall purify themselves and make themselves white and be refined, but the wicked shall act wickedly. And none of the wicked shall understand, but those who are wise shall understand.
Daniel 12:10 ESV

2013/11/23 11:17
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Commentary by Adam Clarke on this verse

Many shall be purified - During the interim, the great work of God's providence and grace shall be carried on in the salvation of men; who, in the midst of trials, temptations, and difficulties, shall be purified and made white - be fully saved from their sins.

None of the wicked shall understand - Because they are wicked, and will continue in their sins, the eyes of their understanding shall be closed, and their hearts hardened; so that they shall not see the light of the glorious Gospel.

But the wise - Those who open their hearts to God, that he may pour in his light, shall understand the things that make for their peace.

2013/11/23 17:10Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy