SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christian Yoga?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Compton

Re: interesting connection

Quote:
However, when it came to His Father, His Father's house, and His Father's people... Jesus was anything but meek. He was down right confrontational.

Nowhere in the Word of God does it suggest to me that if someone breaks into my house and threatens my family that I should just sit back and let them do what they want to my wife, or harm my children.

Interesting observation on the subject of defending ones family, Krispy K. Makes sense to this man.

MC

2005/3/30 14:09Profile

Re:

Krispy wrote:

"I dont believe we should be the world's police force, but when we know citizens are being raped and murdered by their "leaders" (such as what was happening in Iraq) then we need to do something. If we dont, then we are partakers of that evil."

Problem is we didn't go to Iraq to protect the people there. We obsensibly went there to protect ourselves from Weapons of Mass Distruction that didn't exist. Phantom. And all the while the US oil companies were making plans for when the Iraqi oil fields are put up for sale by the new Iraqi government. (They were in on the deal!)

There is a huge difference between protecting yourself and family and preparing for war. Albert Einstein said it best: "You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war." The very act of building up our military means that it is going to be used. We could never justify spending 42% of every tax dollar on the military if all they did was train for defending the US against another country invading us. We've got the National Guard for that.

I certainly understand the use of nonlethal force to prevent a greater injury to yourself or family or even a stranger. I had to do this once in Lesotho. A fellow PC volunteer (female, not girl friend) and I were walking home fairly late and were accosted by a man with a gun. Wanted money that we didn't have. Told me to go home and get some and he would wait there with the woman friend of mine. I had to take his gun away. (Luckily I was a pretty good wrestler in High School.)

But to plan for, prepare for, and contemplate using lethal force against others when there is no immediate threat is unChristian. Standing armies are unChristian; they represent violence and a threat to others and they are currently being used in Iraq for evil purposes. well over 100,000 innocent women children and men have been killed because of George Bush. Did you see the quote:

"God told me to smite Osama bin Ladin, so I invaded Afghanistan. Then He told me to smite Saddam Hussein, so I invaded Iraq." President George W. Bush in a recent speech to the Palestinians.

This man is a Puritan. He dodged the military himself but sends people who signed up for the national guard as "weekend warriors" to war. (Not what they signed up for.)

Christ showed the complete futility of violence on the Cross.

Bubbaguy

2005/3/30 15:18
Compton

Re:

Bubba, you wascally wabbit!

Maybe a conversation about war should branch into it's own thread...

Pij, I hope we are answering your questions about Christian Yoga...do you see how the practice of Yoga in our churches can lead to the military invasion of other countries? :-o

MC

2005/3/30 15:51Profile
Angyl

Re:

Quote:
We already said that doing Yoga even apart from the religious garb was dangerous... is this not any different? Perhaps you could post something about this.

I'm glad you asked. There've been plenty of times in the past when I've had my seemingly contradictory views challenged and found that I could not explain away my hypocrisy...so I changed my thinking. Yoga/Martial Arts has been carefully studied by me and here's the difference in MY eyes.

The "benefits" of Yoga (stretching, toning, etc.) are easily achieved in any number of other ways.

The "benefits" of Martial arts, (self defense), are not.

There's absolutely no reason to do Yoga without the mysticism and indeed, it is very hard TO do Yoga without all that garbage...the very motions of the art are seeded in eastern religions.

Martial arts is a different matter. No other fighting style one can learn for self defense (namely boxing or street fighting) is as adept at handling diverse situations where one might find a need for defense.

Finally, Martial arts comes from literally THOUSANDS of different sources and training. It is disingenuous to think/believe that they all must lead back to and/or involve some level of mysticism. That is wholly untrue of the forms I've studied. One of them (Penjit Salat) is wholly about destruction and is completely incompatable with the pacifist nature of Eastern relgions.

Now on to your next, related question:

Quote:
Also, on another note, is it right for Christians to learn combat?

Nowhere in scripture do I see where Christians are called to be pacifists when they need to defend their lives and their family from an evil intruder. As others have already pointed out to you, there are plenty of martial/warfare Christians in the Bible. I don't call or train anyone to fight for fighting's sake, but it is my training that gives me peace of mind regarding my family at night. Not a dog..not a gun...not a lock on the door, but my ability to assess an enemy and deal with them as violently or passively as I choose.

The choice is mine...but such a choice does not belong to everyone due to lack of training. I see nothing wrong with HAVING the choice. If I ever have to make that choice (and in more than 20 years of training, I never have), then the time for judgement (right or wrong) will come.

2005/3/30 16:03Profile
Angyl

Re:

Quote:
In fact, I would say that a man who does not protect his family is no man at all.

I love you. :-)

I will take that one step further, even and state the same of a man who does absolutely NOTHING in advance to protect his family should something bad like that ever happen. Whether it be buying a gun, a bunch of trained dogs, a super alarm system...

or training one's body for combat. In this world, you need to think about these things AHEAD of time...not sit back and hope it never happens to you. Cuz I'll be damned if someone's going to break into my home to hurt my daughter while I think "I wish I had the means of stopping this."

2005/3/30 16:08Profile

Re:

Quote:
I love you.

I love you too, sweety... kiss kiss... blekkk!!

Krispy

2005/3/30 16:11

Re:

Quote:
Problem is we didn't go to Iraq to protect the people there. We obsensibly went there to protect ourselves from Weapons of Mass Distruction that didn't exist. Phantom. And all the while the US oil companies were making plans for when the Iraqi oil fields are put up for sale by the new Iraqi government. (They were in on the deal!)

There is a huge difference between protecting yourself and family and preparing for war. Albert Einstein said it best: "You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war." The very act of building up our military means that it is going to be used. We could never justify spending 42% of every tax dollar on the military if all they did was train for defending the US against another country invading us. We've got the National Guard for that.

I certainly understand the use of nonlethal force to prevent a greater injury to yourself or family or even a stranger. I had to do this once in Lesotho. A fellow PC volunteer (female, not girl friend) and I were walking home fairly late and were accosted by a man with a gun. Wanted money that we didn't have. Told me to go home and get some and he would wait there with the woman friend of mine. I had to take his gun away. (Luckily I was a pretty good wrestler in High School.)

But to plan for, prepare for, and contemplate using lethal force against others when there is no immediate threat is unChristian. Standing armies are unChristian; they represent violence and a threat to others and they are currently being used in Iraq for evil purposes. well over 100,000 innocent women children and men have been killed because of George Bush. Did you see the quote:

"God told me to smite Osama bin Ladin, so I invaded Afghanistan. Then He told me to smite Saddam Hussein, so I invaded Iraq." President George W. Bush in a recent speech to the Palestinians.

This man is a Puritan. He dodged the military himself but sends people who signed up for the national guard as "weekend warriors" to war. (Not what they signed up for.)

Christ showed the complete futility of violence on the Cross.

Bubbaguy

Bubbaguy... I dont mean any disrespect here... but blah blah blah...

I'm not going to debate this with you. You're making statements as tho they were facts, and you supply no credible evidence for any of your claims.

Somehow we went from yoga to American oil companies supposedly stealing oil from Iraq (which if you check the gas prices lately... it's obviously not happening!) to rediculous "quotes" from GW... with no sources.

C'mon... lets not go there, ok? Do it as a favor for me, because I'm gonna have a hard time biting my tongue, and I would really like to keep this on a more civil tone.

Krispy

2005/3/30 16:16

Re:

Quote:
but sends people who signed up for the national guard as "weekend warriors" to war. (Not what they signed up for.)

BTW, do you even know anything about the military? When you sign up for the National Guard you are very well informed of what your terms of service are... and it includes full time duty and combat. If someone was foolish enough to sign up without taking that part seriously, and planning appropriately for it... thats their problem.

I was in the Marines for 8 years... I think I know a little bit more about it.

Krispy

2005/3/30 16:21

Re:

Krispy, Here's the link to the article with the Bush quote.

http://www.counterpunch.org/leupp03262005.html

The author is Gary Leupp, Professor of History at Tufts University, and Adjunct Professor of Comparative Religion.

I didn't bring this topic up, you did. I was planning to comment on the Yoga line when all of a sudden the subject changed to war.

US oil companies do have plans to acquire Iraq's oil fields they were documented in secret meetings before the war actually started. The insurgents blowing up oil rigs and pipelines have prevented them from executing their plans.

Here's the link on this http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/4354269.stm

Lastly, you said "I dont mean any disrespect here... but blah blah blah."

Is this meant to be something to counter what I said? If so, you really nailed it.

Bubbaguy

2005/3/30 17:36
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

everyone seems to be into yoga these days, why can't we just go back to hitting the weights, running, rugby...like me :-P

2005/3/30 20:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy