Discussion Forum : General Topics : Difference Between True and False Humility

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Difference Between True and False Humility

Brothers and sisters,

What is the difference between true and false humility? I was reading Colossians 2 when I started thinking about this. Thanks!

2013/11/19 18:03Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Difference Between True and False Humility

I believe true humility is found in thinking and saying of yourself precisely what God thinks and says of you in His word. It is coming to a place where you agree with Him, even though you might naturally be tempted to think otherwise.

We often equate pride with arrogance. But arrogance is only one manifestation of pride, one side of the coin so to speak. Extreme shyness is the other side of the coin of pride. An extremely shy person will often be overly concerned about how people see him or perceive him. This is self focus just as surely as arrogance.

Humility is condescending to God's opinion of you, and accepting that opinion. The only way we can do this is to take our eyes off of self and fix them steadfastly on Him. This is the very opposite of self focus.

2013/11/19 23:14Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Humility

Twayneb, you are making an excellent point, but you might want to re-read your post and edit a couple things that inject a bit of confusion?

Humility has to be framed in twayneb's point that true humility is seeing yourself as God sees you. If you have not had the experience of a confrontation by the Holy Spirit to see yourself as a gasping worm at the bottom of the garbage pile, you will not be able to also see yourself as the mighty warrior wielding the two edged sword of truth against the armies of Satan in full power and gentle humility.

"A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not extinguish," Isaiah notes of God's mighty man. (42:3)

Power without humility is simple destruction, but power embraced with humility can tear down kingdoms.

2013/11/19 23:35Profile

Re:

Why don't you just say "Pride" since "False" humility is pride?

Here is the difference in action.

Luk 18:10-14 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

2013/11/19 23:42
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

sidewalk.
Thank you. I am the victim of cell phone word replacement.

I once heard this example. Often someone gets up to sing a song in church. He says something to the effect that he knows he does not sing well, but he is going to attempt to make a joyful noise for the Lord. He then proceeds to sing in what sounds like a trained voice fit for an opera. why did he make the statement he made? often it is a backhanded way to fish for a complement. what would he say if after the service you told him he was right and his voice was terrible? Would he agree, or be offended?

When I no longer see me, but instead due to me and find my identity only in Him, then I can begin to walk in true humility. Consider this. Moses is said in scripture to have been the meekest man on earth. Do you know who made that statement about Moses?

2013/11/20 7:37Profile

Re:

Your example, twayneb bolsters the proposition that "false humility" is really just pride.

Who made the statement about Moses being meek? Whose heart did it come from? The Holy Spirit.

Whose hand wrote it? Moses.

2Ti 3:16 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God..."

2013/11/20 9:09

Re: Difference Between True and False Humility

true humility comes from obeying God.

I can try to be humble but somewhere in my walk when I am not submitting to God it will come out as false humility, or forced humility, where I am exalting myself over God's clear leading in some area.

2013/11/20 10:15

Re:

I suppose we could prefix other fruits of the Spirit with "false".

False-love......but it is really HATE
False-joy.......seeking approval of others, maybe?
False-peace.....just call it fear.

Again, False-humility...isn't it just pride?

I mean, we don't say false-goodness, false-patience, etc.

When people say false-humility, it makes me think that they know how to create true humility and really, we can't. If the "Humble One" is not living inside you, you won't have true humility. Oops, can you believe I said it? True-Humility! Woe is me.

2013/11/20 11:27
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re:

As in "Let another praise you and not your own lips," my humility is mostly your perception, and your humility mine.

So the psalmist's cry, "Search me and know me O God, and see if there be any wicked way within me!" Seems to be the beginning of the search for personal humility.

I may think I am humble, but my opinion does not count.

2013/11/20 11:50Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

The reason I said "false humility" is because of how Paul in Colossians speaks about it. Did anyone read those verses (chapters 2 and 3)?

Everyone knows pride is sin. But from what I was reading, the heretics in Colossae were practicing stuff that looked really humble, but in reality were completely rejecting Jesus Christ as their head. It says "self-abasement" in the translation I was reading.

A good example of this is during prayer, especially when it is public. Let's say I said this in church, when I prayed:

"Lord, I am not worthy to come to you at all. I am the worst sinner here, worse than any of these other brothers here. So, I am asking You that you would look kindly on me and answer my prayer, even though I don't deserve anything from you at all, because I am the worst sinner..."

That prayer might seem really, really humble, but it is a de facto denial of the finished work of Jesus Christ in the life of a believer. However, what is worse is that the next person who prays is likely to try to out-do the previous person in humility...see what I'm saying?

Now, if in prayer I acknowledge my unworthiness apart from the Lord and then give thanksgiving for the finished work of Christ and that through Him I am righteous, thereby boldly approaching the throne of grace, then it is true humility, I believe. Look at the Psalms. Although the Psalmists paint abysmal pictures of themselves, they always exalt the work of God in forgiveness and the work of cleansing them.

Not that this is the definitive definition, but what I get from Colossians is this: if what I do points to me, then it is false humility. But if what I do points people to Jesus Christ, then it is true humility, because it exalts Him.

2013/11/20 13:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy