SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is it sinful to baptize babies?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

Is it sinful to baptize babies?

I would assume most if not all sermonindex users are credobaptist: baptism is upon profession of faith. I was wondering, though, what you think of those who do baptize babies. Is it sinful? Is it okay if they are acting as they suppose in faith and good conscience?

2013/11/15 10:08

Re: Is it sinful to baptize babies?

Hi Stephen. As an ex Catholic it seems to me that if one baptized a child in ignorance to the truth that would be one thing, but if one baptized a child knowing better but seeking to pacify religious pressure, to compromise, that would be quite something else...............bro Frank

2013/11/15 10:27
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Stephen

I am also an ex Catholic and I agree with what Frank shared here with you.

Just curious why do you ask?

God bless
maryjane

2013/11/15 13:40Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

An interesting thing to consider on this subject is that if we look to many of the significant leaders in 'church history' they seemed to been in darkness regarding this practice. Men such as Calvin, Luther, Wesley and Whitfield, etc all continued with the Roman Catholic doctrine of infant baptism.

edit: Also Jonathan Edwards. Of course we had the Anabaptist who at the time of the reformation held to biblical truth on this and were persecuted by some of those reformers.

Just shows you that you can't just assume past saint's had a full light on all things they did and taught. All things need to be tested by scripture!

2013/11/15 13:55Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

I think a better question might be, is it "scriptural" to baptize babies.

Quote:
Just shows you that you can't just assume past saint's had a full light on all things they did and taught. All things need to be tested by scripture!

Amen.

2013/11/15 14:26Profile

Re:

As an ex-Catholic, I would agree with you, Paul.

Is it scriptural, is a much better question. And, I would add, does baptism regenerate a person, causing them to receive the Spirit of God? Does baptism bring repentance to an individual causing them to turn to the Lord with all their heart?

If the infant has repented and turned to the Lord Jesus Christ with all their heart and received Him (John 1:12), then of course, baptism is scriptural. But, I have never heard of an infant recognizing they are a sinner in need of a Savior, much less, in need of baptism. Usually, they are just looking for their Mommy and don't even know about Jesus Christ.

If it is just the will of the parents, then no regeneration has taken place within the child. Men cannot force the Spirit of God into other men, He is received by faith.

John 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

A ceremony saves no one, only faith in Christ does.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

2013/11/15 15:48
Jeremy221

Is the question baptism or doing something in faith? Stephen2, is there something else on your heart other than the proposed infant baptism you present? The way you presented your question appears to be the foundation for another subject which is your real purpose.

If not and you are just promoting the arguing over words for the sake something to do, you and all the people who are tempted to 'debate' about this will be convicted by the Spirit for your unchristiikeness as has happened here many times before.

2013/11/15 19:29Profile
savannah

Your question - Is it sinful to baptize babies?

Answer: NO!

Another question - Is it sinful NOT to baptize babies?

Answer: YES!

As another poster has already mentioned,the scripturalness of the practice determines whether what I've stated above is true or false.

DO NOT dismiss the practice of infant baptism by falsely attributing it to being an invention of Romanism, as it was practiced prior to that harlot's birthing.

Search the Scriptures. As a Jew can find Jesus there,the christian can also find the validity of infant baptism as well.

God's Word is no less than Genesis to Revelation.
DO NOT try to make it less.
The whole counsel of God is to be declared.

2013/11/15 21:44Profile

Re:

///Is the question baptism or doing something in faith? Stephen2, is there something else on your heart other than the proposed infant baptism you present? The way you presented your question appears to be the foundation for another subject which is your real purpose.///

The reason for the question (and MaryJane was also curious) is that I am trying to understand how others here at SI understand sin. I chose the subject of baptism because I assumed there would be almost unanimous agreement. Perhaps the thread should have been titled, "When is it sin?"

PaulWest suggested the better question is whether or not the practice is biblical - which I think gets to the heart of what I'm actually after. I didn't raise this subject so that we could have a debate on the subject of infant baptism, though I do appreciate some of the thoughtful responses including Savannah's. What I'm after is a definition of sin. If it is unbiblical is it sinful?

What makes something sinful? Is it my conscience? If I sin against my conscience is it sinful then - so that baptizing babies would be ok so long as I did it in good conscience? If so, how far does that extend? Does that extend to telling lies in good conscience? (Don't worry I'm not going to bring this back to a subject we've already dealt with elsewhere...)

Savannah said, ///As another poster has already mentioned,the scripturalness of the practice determines whether what I've stated above is true or false.///

Do others agree? Paul, you were saying that it is better to ask if it is scriptural? Is that one and the same question or is it different?

2013/11/16 10:04
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Stephen

Thank you for answering my questions :) I think clearly there are things talked about in the Bible that we can call and agree are sin(adultery, fornication, idolatry, stealing, murder,hatred, unforgivness,pride, bitterness, ect.) then I think there are things that are not as clear. For example I think dressing immodestly is sinful but then I let the Holy Spirit convict each on what is a modest way to dress. For example, some sisters may not feel led to wear pants only skirts while others may wear loose fitting pants and walk with the LORD with a clear conscious. Same goes for wearing makeup or jewelry. Now as for infant baptism I think the real point is why would you baptize the child, they can make no profession of faith and have no understanding of what it means to surrender their life unto CHRIST so it is meaning less ritual at that point. A tradition and nothing more.

Sin is whatever offends GOD. HIS standard of sin should be ours because HE sets the standard. Having said that I do believe by the power of the Holy Spirit He gives us understanding and guidance in our walk with HIM as well. This made me think of the verse with Peter when he is told to get up, kill and eat. I think we have to be careful not to call something unclean, we never fully know what work the LORD might be doing in the heart of another.

9 About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. 10 He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11 He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. 13 Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”14 “Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”15 The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”

God bless
maryjane

2013/11/16 10:28Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy