SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Godly Homemaking

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

As I ponder on how a wife is to love her husband my mind goes to the verse where Jesus tell us we are to love our neighbor as ourselves. This verse packs a powerful punch.

One, my spouse is NOT my neighbor - my neighbor lives at an arms length from me. My spouse lives beside me, with me, he is part of me; he is the one I bed with every night. He is a part of me, not my neighbor. Now this verse tell us we are to love as we love ourselves. hmmmm....How do I love myself? I will not deliberately injure myself mentally, socially, physically..how do I extend this love, care to my husband? The golden rule - do unto other as you would have them do to you includes your spouse.

The Holy Spirit has given me a question that has had a profound impact on me: would I want to be married to me? Would I want to be married to someone exactly like me? Your answer would be revealing, informative of what your own failures are, where you need improvement.

When we experience a failure in how we respond, perform as as spouse, we need to ask the LORD for enabling strength to do as we know we need to. God is more interested in the our homes, our relationships then we are. When we allow God to be our head, our boss, it will be amazing what will happen although it may not happen according to our schedule.

More later...

Comments welcomed...

2013/11/20 12:42Profile
iceman9

New York

Re: Godly Homemaking

Thank you for sharing ginnyrose.

This is a good word in due season.

My wife and I have 8 children. 7 daughters, 1 son.

To God be the glory!

2013/11/20 14:27Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

:-)

2013/11/20 18:09Profile
Jeremy221

Re:

Hi Ginny,

What bugs me is the frivolity I see. The effects of infant dedication include young women growing up in Christian families assuming zeal and passion for the church or the traditions of their family constitute Truth and Life. I think the concept of Christian family that assumes rebirth should be done away with completely. Just as we are aliens and strange so must we relate to our natural family.

2013/11/21 7:34Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Loving and Submission

As I seriously considered my next post I was in a quandary what to write because there was a quality that kept coming back to me and I finally - after meditating a while - concluded I must introduce it now. It is very difficult to discuss loving your spouse without mentioning submission.

I see on the list in Titus 2 where loving your husband is the first and submission is the last one. As I see it in godly homemaking these are the anchors in how one performs, does her duty.

In considering submission, loving one's spouse it seems to me one cannot love without submitting. (Jesus says if ye love me, keep my commandments.) It is like the thumb on the hand. The thumb is what enhances the usefulness of the fingers: it opposes the fingers so it can grip.

Think about it a while...

Will be back, Lord willing.

2013/11/21 16:21Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Jeremy,

I am not quite sure I understand what you're are saying.

Not sure how to respond...did write quite a bit then deleted it.

Are you saying some think that being born into a Christian family will negate the need for rebirth??? Lord, have mercy! if this is the case.

2013/11/21 16:39Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Cooperation and submission

Submission is a dirty word in many quarters: "What??!! Me submit to him??" "You kidding?" Yet, as we look at submission we find it everywhere, even among those who eschew it.

Let us take a look at the creation. The Godhead - working in unity (cooperation) - fashioned a man in their own image - a Godhead who worked in unity, cooperation. Man was made a social being that needed fellowship, companionship just like the Godhead after which he was fashioned.

In cooperation there is always recognition that someone is in charge, this person has superior knowledge who uses it to enhance the relationship, one that works for the good of all involved. The leader is not dictatorial but serves with a sacrificial heart for the good of the others. As a result affection grows for the leader, rooted in deep respect for his knowledge/wisdom. This is how it was in the Garden as God walked with Adam and Eve in the cool of the day. But something happened. This couple, who were the recipients of the greatest kindness ever bestowed upon man, allowed another creature to beguile them into questioning God's motives. Now, man has become embroiled in a battle that has never ended.

Today we are surrounded by forces on every side that compete for our allegiance. But the worse one is the one that resides in our hearts: our own self-will. The will whose primary concern is for my own well-being with no consideration how it will effect others. "I want what I want and you get out of my way!" is the mindset that bedevils moderns. We know this trait to be selfishness - people are slaves to their own self-will.

As slaves to their own self-will people will look to others who will enhance their own self-image. It could be fashions, power as exercised by those in politics, money, social connections - you name it. People submit to others all the time.

In society, in social life there is a submission in how one relates to the group - you work to please. In the workplace there are bosses to whom you must submit if you want a job, that is. If you are insubordinate you may find yourself out of a job or relegated to something you absolutely do not like. When driving a vehicle, there are traffic laws one must observe and if you ignore them you will find yourself in the cross-hairs of the law.

Man, women, children are all subject to submit to someone somewhere, somehow. You cannot escape it, not even if you end up in the prison.

More later...

Romans 6:16: Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?

2013/11/22 11:52Profile
Jeremy221

Re: rebirth

Hi Ginny,

Thanks for asking for clarification. I am saying that the environment of a Christian family, as in a family where both parents are believers and usually involved in a local body, can lead to deception about what it is to be born again. This can be demonstrated in easy believism followed by years of youthful zealous activity for the Lord. But then the zeal is consumed and the real state of the child is revealed. The zeal that was taken to be Life is shown to be flesh and parents who were so proud of their children are now ashamed. The desire to protect their children allowed false doctrine and a works based righteousness in. They wanted that boxed checked along with the others, money, home, spouse and grandchildren.

So, is the family the shadow or the Heavenly? Where is the real life lived?

I hope that elaborates it more clearly.

2013/11/22 12:47Profile
romanchog

Re:

Re: submission.

Submission is only a dirty word when it comes to wife/husband, us/God, and sometimes parent/child. Everywhere else in society we take the need of for submission, as you well pointed out. I disagree with one statement that you made: “this person has superior knowledge.” That is not necessarily the case in the husband/wife relationship. Some women are more able and/or have more knowledge than their husband. Submission does not imply that one is above/better than another and God does not ask women to submit to their husbands because they are better/more able than women. God asks us to submit to our husbands because God knows what is best, and that should be enough for us, shouldn't it?

For some, it may be useful to remember that God made men and women, He invented marriage, and He knows that is what is necessary for both men and women to be their best in the marriage. Those of us who have practiced submission find it a place of safety, comfort, and peace.

One thing that I have not heard discussed much is the fact that human marriage between a man and a woman is just a reflection of the relationship that the church is supposed to have to Christ. (See e.g. Eph. 5: 31-32) So, as women, we ought to be humbled and awed that, in submitting to our husbands as God has asked us to do, He has given the responsibility to model for the rest of believers (including men) the attitude of the heart that we must all have toward Christ.

Another thought about submission is that in submitting to our husband, we are in reality submitting to God. Many women say that they would submit, but their husband is so ungodly! The answer to such a statement is that in submitting to your husband, whether he is godly or not (as long as He is not asking you to go against God’s Word) you are in fact submitting TO GOD, and you can rest in knowing that the consequence of your obedience can be left in God’s hands. Second, if you refuse to submit because your husband is ungodly, you are in fact refusing to submit to God Himself, which is a serious sin. Third, by refusing to submit you are in fact refusing to help your husband repent of his ungodliness. (See 1 Peter 3:1-2).

2013/11/22 22:06Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

In studying this topic, meditating on it, I am humbled, if you want to say so, how one is under authority in every area of life and the seriousness of rebelling against that authority.

Submitting to authority was an written code before the law which reinforced it with the NT reinforcing it some more. It is nothing new. Rebelling against it was initiated by Lucifer who felt he needed some recognition and power. And...is that not at the heart of all rebellion? Power lesson, here.

As I check the NT for who one is to submit to, I find an interesting list:

1. Submit to God. James 4:7: "Submit therefore to God"

2. Church servants. 1Cor. 16:16:"that you also be in subjection to such men and to everyone who helps in the work and labors."

3. To the brotherhood [of Believers]. Ephesians 5:21: "and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ."

4. Wives to husbands. Ephesians 5:22: "Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord." Also Col. 3:18

5. Your church leaders. Hebrews 13:17: "Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they keep watch over your souls as those who will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you."

6. Civil leaders. 1Peter 2:13-17: " 13 Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority, 14 or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right. 15 For such is the will of God that by doing right you may silence the ignorance of foolish men. 16Act as free men, and do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but use it as bondslaves of God. 17 Honor all people, love the brotherhood, fear God, honor the king.

7. The elder, the elderly. 1Peter 5:7: "You younger men, likewise, be subject to your elders; and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE."

8. Children to parents. Ephesian 6:1,2: "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER (which is the first commandment with a promise)."

9. Servants to your master. Col. 3:22-24: "Slaves, in all things obey those who are your masters on earth, not with external service, as those who merely please men, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. 23 Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, 24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.

As I study this list I am becoming more aware the seriousness of failure to submit. For example in Col.3:25: "For he who does wrong will receive the consequences of the wrong which he has done, and that without partiality." And this verse follows the one commanding servants/employees being subject to their master/employer!

I am also aware that obedience is conditional in some of these entities. For example, civil authority, when commands are given that conflict with one serving the LORD, the command is to flee, not rebel. One is to remove the false teacher from leadership is another. One could enlarge on this a lot more, but that is beyond the topic of this thread. The issue we want to deal with has to do with husband and wife relationships.

What does submission look like in husband and wife relationship? I love the definition our deacon gave one day in a sermon. He said a wife is to make available to her husband her skills, her talents, her insights for his use. This is right in line when God said he will make a helpmeet suitable for Adam. Adam was made deficient - he was not complete. He was made this way. Then God created another being - a woman - to bridge that gap. Man was now complete. Beautiful! Don't you think so? Adam thought so, too, apparently, when God brought Eve to him in her full glory. Some preachers have told us that Adams exclamation on seeing Eve was one of great exhilaration, delight, pleasure!

But the devil did not like this so he stuck his foot in the door and they opened it up to him.

To be continued.

2013/11/23 11:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy