SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Christian homeschoolers receive maximum jail time for death of child

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
savannah

Re: Christian homeschoolers receive maximum jail time for death of child

For the record,I begin by stating unequivocally that this couple stands guilty as charged. No blame-shifting ought to be allowed by any means.

That said, the book noted which is in question, is certainly not a book christians ought to take instruction from in regard to child training.

The following is an excerpt from Tim Challies on, "(How Not)To Train Up a Child" :

What Pearl refers to as training can as easily be labeled conditioning. In fact, his training perfectly fits Mirriam-Webster’s definition of conditioning: “A simple form of learning involving the formation, strengthening, or weakening of an association between a stimulus and a response.” Meanwhile Pearl says, “Training doesn’t necessarily require that the trainee be capable of reason; even mice and rats can be trained to respond to stimuli. Careful training can make a dog perfectly obedient. If a seeing-eye dog can be trained to reliably lead a blind man through the dangers of city streets, shouldn’t a parent expect more out of an intelligent child?” Between the book’s introduction and first chapter, Pearl has compared children with mice, rats, horses, mules and dogs. This shows that he advocates no moral dimension to his training; rather, he advocates a technique that will bring about instant obedience of the mind and body but without reference to the heart. The problem, of course, is that children are not animals and are far more complex and spiritual than animals.

Most Christians have understood Proverbs 22:6 to include a moral dimension, moral training that will in turn lead to behavior training. Yet Pearl believes the exact opposite, that it demands only behavior modification which will later lead to moral improvement. To understand why, we need to look to his understanding of human nature. This is where we really begin to see how his underlying theology shapes his child-raising technique; this is where we begin to see that his theology is probably very, very different from your own.

It would do all of us well to read his review in its entirety. As well as his review of another book by Michael's wife Debi entitled "Created To Be His Help Meet".

I myself have more than one copy of each of these books. I refuse to loan or recommend them to anyone. I only keep them for reference.

May some be helped by this post and spared from these teachings set forth in said books.

2013/11/6 3:34Profile
MaryJane

Re:

by savannah on 2013/11/6 0:34:12

For the record,I begin by stating unequivocally that this couple stands guilty as charged. No blame-shifting ought to be allowed by any means.

That said, the book noted which is in question, is certainly not a book christians ought to take instruction from in regard to child training.
It would do all of us well to read his review in its entirety. As well as his review of another book by Michael's wife Debi entitled "Created To Be His Help Meet".

I myself have more than one copy of each of these books. I refuse to loan or recommend them to anyone. I only keep them for reference.

May some be helped by this post and spared from these teachings set forth in said books.

I read the review posted on the site of both books and was stunned. I have read train up a child and did not like it, the method they spoke of would never work with two of my sons and I thank GOD HE allowed me to see and understand that. I have never read the second book "created to be His help meet" but was really shocked by the things posted as being said in it. Since you have read the book I was wondering was this review exaggerated at all? IF accurate, How could some of that advice given ever be considered Biblical???

God bless
mj

Edit: Just to clarify the questions I was asking were concerning the second book mentioned "created to be His help meet" and not the other. Did not mean to go off topic though.

2013/11/6 7:36Profile

Re:

Quote:
by Jeremy221 on 2013/11/5 21:25:33

Thanks for posting this.

When reading the article the tag line really struck me.

Quote:
For more news, information and humor relevant to atheists, freethinkers, and secular humanists

These people are skilled at manipulating language through the use of nuance. I find it interesting that the article doesn't actually discuss the cause of the daughter's death but is just a platform to attack the Pearls and "extremists Christians."

Amen.

Funny how people don't realize that God's "chastening" can be viewed as "conditioning", too. God does not spare the rod on those He loves, does He? Sometimes, it is pretty severe and the world accuses God of abuse all the time.

"Do not be mocked, whatever a man sows he shall reap".

The Pearls should not be on trial here because they do not teach abuse. Is everything they teach perfect? No, of course not. Any other Christian author who teaches not to spare the rod could have been used in this story and besmirched. Remember, the Pearls by their own admission are teaching technique, not a 'thus sayeth the Lord". People need to use their own minds and like MaryJane figure out if it will work for their kids.

It would be good to hear from Michael and Debbie's kids.

2013/11/6 8:02

Re: Christian homeschoolers receive maximum jail time for death of child

The government, lawyers and the media have stated that there is a connection between the death of children and the teachings of Michael and Debi Pearl on disciplining children. I think we should at least carefully examine our own heart, the Scriptures and ensure we are in the Father's perfect will in regard to how we raise and discipline our children.

Even in the last Godly Home series teaching preached by Denny Kenaston in 2003, who both Denny and the Charity fellowships have also been influenced by the Pearl's teachings, stated that you cannot have a Godly Home without the Holy Spirit. He made it very clear that you must be filled with the Holy Spirit to raise and discipline children.

"For the letter killeth, but the Spirit giveth life" (2 Cor. 3:6).

Therefore, the point is not to follow man, but the leading of God the Holy Spirit and the Word of God. If we follow God's teachings on raising and disciplining children without the LIFE of the Spirit then what will be the outcome? "The letter killeth."

"They who heard it said, “Then who can be saved?” But He said, “The things that are impossible with people are possible with God” (Luke 18: 26-27).

2013/11/6 13:08
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
There is an agenda to stop saints to raise Godly children. May we stand strong and continue to teach our children the Word of God.

This is so very true brother. I remember when my wife and I disclosed to my mother we were planning on homeschooling our two children. She got so angry, she couldn't even talk to us anymore. The sudden change in her character was astonishing.

2013/11/6 13:28Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy