SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Christian homeschoolers receive maximum jail time for death of child

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Christian homeschoolers receive maximum jail time for death of child

In Washington state a Christian homeschooling couple received maximum prison sentences allowable under the law after being found guilty of beating and starving their adopted daughter to death in accord with Biblical based parenting techniques.

Superior Court Judge Susan Cook showed no mercy to Larry and Carri Williams, found guilty of causing the tragic death of their adopted daughter, Hana, by using Biblical based parenting techniques found in the controversial child-rearing book, To Train up a Child, by Michael and Debi Pearl.

Cook sentenced Carri Williams to 37 years in prison. Her husband Larry, convicted of lesser charges, was sentenced to just under 28 years. Both terms are well above the standard sentencing range. ...

read more: http://www.examiner.com/article/christian-homeschoolers-receive-maximum-jail-time-for-death-of-child

2013/11/5 15:23Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Christian homeschoolers receive maximum jail time for death of child

Very sad. But I can assure you that the Pearl's do not teach "beating and starving a child to death". I have been so very blessed by their teaching on child training.

2013/11/5 15:36Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Beaten and starved. I don't really know who these authors are but I would seriously doubt they advocated beating and starving a kid. It sounds to me this couple got caught in a power control situation with their kid. How many people just ran away from God as a result of their actions?

John

2013/11/5 16:07Profile
MaryJane

Re:

by twayneb on 2013/11/5 12:36:32

Very sad. But I can assure you that the Pearl's do not teach "beating and starving a child to death". I have been so very blessed by their teaching on child training.

I have read the book and had a very different response. I am not saying the authors advocate what happened but I don't agree with all the things they wrote either. In truth I ended up just throwing it in the trash. In my understanding some of the things advocated went way further then they should have especially concerning very young children.

Tragic situation

God bless
maryjane

Edit: again this was just my own experience with this book in particular I have not read other things by this couple and am not saying they advocated what happened in any way.

2013/11/5 16:10Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:

Yes the Pearl's are a godly couple and their ministry is good, it is just sad that this case will be setup against other home schoolers in the future. There is an agenda to stop saints to raise Godly children. May we stand strong and continue to teach our children the Word of God.

2013/11/5 16:21Profile

Re:

I have been blessed by their books and we should pray for them because you can see that a case is being manufactured against the Pearls. They have been very successful in training parents and teaching men to be men and the liberal forces do not like that.

2013/11/5 17:17
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Online!
 Re:

Obviously from the comments from folk who know the Pearl's ministry they are not advocating anthing like what happened, but they are being made responsible for this terrible abuse and other similar cases.

Is there any truth in this statement in the news report? "To Train Up A Child advocates using a plumbing tool to beat children with starting at age one. The book also advocates giving children cold water baths, putting children outside in cold weather, and forcing them to miss meals, as well as beating them; all of which exemplifies the abuse investigators said Hana endured."

One thing I would say is that most intelligent parents can read books like this and come to their own godly conclusions about how to discipline their children in sensible and loving way. However there will always be some who take what is written in an extreme and foolish way. This is why those who write to instruct others need to be very careful in what they write and how it could be taken.

We have the bible to instruct us in the basics of parenting and it is for each individual set of parents to interpret that in their own situation to their own unique children. Do we need anyone to give precise instructions as to how to do this in a blanket universal way? (rhetorical question).

2013/11/5 17:22Profile

Re:

HeyDave,

Everything is taken out of context and you know how the Liberal media handle things. A thin plastic tube is more akin to a "switch" (branch from tree) rather than a "plumbing tool".

It is not meant to be used to abuse someone but rather a "switch", such as a tree branch and it is to be used as one.

But, try explaining that to the media. The Pearls are correct in saying that you should never use your hand on children because your hand should be known as something loving and not something to be feared. Read the book and let me know what you think. Please don't listen to me or anyone else, without reading the book. It is small and inexpensive and full of wisdom but an evil heart will take everything to the extreme.

2013/11/5 17:40
Jeremy221

Thanks for posting this.

When reading the article the tag line really struck me.

Quote:
For more news, information and humor relevant to atheists, freethinkers, and secular humanists

These people are skilled at manipulating language through the use of nuance. I find it interesting that the article doesn't actually discuss the cause of the daughter's death but is just a platform to attack the Pearls and "extremists Christians."

2013/11/5 21:25Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Without regard to any book, the other news outlets report that the husband in this couple actually said the wife DID abuse the girl and was responsible for the child's death. She said he knew what she was doing. I don't care what the book said, what these people DID was kill a child in cold blood. She was found face down, naked, outside, on a cold, rainy night. If you think that reasonable discipline involves that, Jesus is ready to fit you for your millstone.

Added:

This is from local news in Washington shortly after the child's death. This was abuse plain and simple and no one can reasonably say otherwise. Monstrous.

Hana, 13, was adopted from Ethiopia in 2008 by Larry and Carri Williams, of Sedro-Woolley.

She was regularly spanked and locked in a closet, and was forced to sleep in a barn and take garden-hose showers outside, according to an affidavit from the Skagit County Sheriff's Office. The affidavit was based on information from the couple's six natural children, another adopted child, medical experts and other family and friends. The interviews were conducted by detectives and investigators from the state's Child Protective Services.

In 2009, Hana weighed 108 pounds, but over the past two years of her life, she lost 30 pounds, largely because her parents denied her food as punishment, the affidavit says. She was so thin she couldn't retain enough heat May 12, the night she died. She had been outside with no clothes and died of hypothermia, an autopsy found.

On the backs of her legs were marks consistent with being beaten earlier in the day, the affidavit alleges.

According to the investigators, the Williamses were familiar with the Pearls and had given a copy of their book to an acquaintance.

Larry Williams, 47, a Boeing worker, told sheriff's detectives the children were disciplined with a piece of white plastic more than a foot long. It had a round ball on the end, and he said he had picked it up at a plumbing-supply store.

On Sept. 29, after four months of investigation, the Williamses were charged with homicide by abuse. They were also charged with assault for allegedly torturing Hana's adopted brother, 10, also from Ethiopia.

The couple are free on bail. If convicted, they face life terms in prison.

All but one of the Williams children have been placed with relatives or foster parents, CPS says. The eldest, now 18, is back home.

The Williamses, through their attorneys, declined to comment for this article.

Rachel Forde, who represents Larry Williams, said in an email: "Just because the government makes an accusation doesn't mean it's true. ... Once the jury hears the evidence, unfiltered by the prosecutor's lens, we believe that a much different picture will emerge about the lives of the Williams children and Hana's tragic death."

After Hana died, Michael Pearl issued a statement.

"We share in the sadness over the tragic death of Hana Williams," he said. "What her parents allegedly did is diametrically opposed to the philosophy of No Greater Joy Ministries and what is taught in the book, 'To Train Up a Child.' "

No Greater Joy Ministries is the name of the business the Pearls run in Pleasantville, Tenn.

If the Williamses had a copy of the book, Pearl said, they either didn't read it or "totally ignored its contents."

2013/11/5 22:40Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy