SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Gospel of John (The Movie) ...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread









 Re:

Quote:
I suspect that most actors play that sort of Jesus that they are most familiar with - and most actors who have portrayed Jesus are not evangelical Christians - therefore they portray the only Jesus they know - a Jesus that has been handed down to them, not through the bible, but through the cinema.



Probably explains why since the 60's most of the movies about Jesus have made Him look like some sort of spaced out hippie.

Quote:
We all know that there is a way to wear one's hair effeminately - and it doesn't have to be long to do it either. But equating a particular length of hair with femininity is subjective at best.



I dont necessarily disagree with you because I know many godly men who have long hair, however to imply that scripture doesnt address hair length is to ignore 1Corinthians 11:14-15 [i]"Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering."[/i]

Dont ya think?

Krispy

 2005/3/30 9:17
MrBillPro
Member



Joined: 2005/2/24
Posts: 3138
Texas

 Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Quote:

Probably explains why since the 60's most of the movies about Jesus have made Him look like some sort of spaced out hippie.



Krispy, you think maybe he could possibly look likeTelly Savalas and we have him all wrong?:-P

My guess would be that no one alive really knows what he looks like but you know how the flesh works it has to put a face with a name to relate, Recently, I stumbled across a portrait of Jesus that looked closely like the vision I saw one time and he did look like most portray, but that could be mind over matter, but I really think he could look like he wants, I think he could come to us and put on a face of anyone or none it's up to us to discern or feel his presence I might be 180 off here but as I have said before I am here to learn. :-?


_________________
Mr. Bill

 2005/3/30 10:07Profile









 Re:

Quote:
Krispy, you think maybe he could possibly look likeTelly Savalas and we have him all wrong?

My guess would be that no one alive really knows what he looks like but you know how the flesh works it has to put a face with a name to relate, Recently, I stumbled across a portrait of Jesus that looked closely like the vision I saw one time and he did look like most portray, but that could be mind over matter, but I really think he could look like he wants, I think he could come to us and put on a face of anyone or none it's up to us to discern or feel his presence I might be 180 off here but as I have said before I am here to learn.



Hmmm... we're really getting out there with this one, eh? :-o

Krispy

 2005/3/30 10:58
dann
Member



Joined: 2005/2/16
Posts: 239
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

 Re:

Quote:

I dont necessarily disagree with you because I know many godly men who have long hair, however to imply that scripture doesnt address hair length is to ignore 1Corinthians 11:14-15 [i]"Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering."[/i]

Dont ya think?

Krispy



I was going to quote the verse myself in order to save someone the time. ;-)

The vow of the nazarite was perhaps the most sacred vow one could take. Do you recall how God required his most holy disciples to fulfill this vow? Of course you do...

Was God making these men look like women by requiring them not to cut their hair? By using the verse in 1 Corinthians as some do, we could argue that God was - since according to that logic all long hair was effeminate and shameful.

I don't consider myself more qualified than anyone else, but I have to confess - I easily discern the difference between effeminate long hair, and plain old long hair.

I respect anyone who believes that this verse is the universal orthodox mandate for male hair length to be followed for all time and in every place -- but only if those who are preaching this are careful to make sure that they observe the whole passage - that is, their women have their heads covered in church and do --not-- have short hair styles. Preaching or adhering to only half this legal ordinance from Paul is hypocricy (at best).

Paul certainly delivered these traditions to the Corinthian church - that isn't being disputed, the question is whether the letter or the spirit of the tradition is to be followed today. Was Paul really concerned about hair length or head coverings? He told them in verse 13 to "judge for themselves" and finished in verse 16 with "But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God." -- It seems both reasonable and orthodox to me, to understand the instructions regarding the "proper way for someone's head to look in church" as being addressed at the heart and not the hair.

We read that Paul himself shaved his own head having completed a vow (Acts 18:18) - it is not unreasonable to conclude that Paul himself had longer hair than most men during the keeping of this vow.

So while the verse in 1 Cor 11 is indeed instructive - I don't hang my theology on the letter, but rather the intent - that is, it is not so much about hair length as it is about visual representations of authority.

I may be wrong - I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it. My hair is short, and has been for years. Not because I think it is right - but because I think there are many in the faith who cannot tolerate long hair - so for their benefit, I keep my hair short.

Dan
/\/
\/\


_________________
Daniel van de Laar

 2005/3/30 12:19Profile









 Re:

Quote:
I respect anyone who believes that this verse is the universal orthodox mandate for male hair length to be followed for all time and in every place -- but only if those who are preaching this are careful to make sure that they observe the whole passage - that is, their women have their heads covered in church and do --not-- have short hair styles. Preaching or adhering to only half this legal ordinance from Paul is hypocricy (at best).



Actually just about anyone I know who has their hair short because of this verse does require their women to have long hair... and almost all of them agree with me that Paul was not arguing [b]for[/b] head coverings, but showing that long hair is a woman's head covering.

Quote:
My hair is short, and has been for years. Not because I think it is right - but because I think there are many in the faith who cannot tolerate long hair - so for their benefit, I keep my hair short.



You're way more spiritual than me.. :-P ... I had long hair in the mid-80's, and then I joined the Marines. I've had a "high and tight" ever since... even till today. I visit my barber every other friday afternoon. I keep it that way because I dont need to fuss with it. Wash and go.

Krispy

 2005/3/30 14:09
dann
Member



Joined: 2005/2/16
Posts: 239
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

 Re:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread - the gospel of John (the movie)!

;-)

Dan
/\/
\/\


_________________
Daniel van de Laar

 2005/3/30 15:42Profile





©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy