SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Ruth and Naomi...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
endlessjoe

University of Calabar Nigeria

Ruth and Naomi...

RUTH...THE"WOMB"...PART 6
TEXT: RUTH1:6-18
Previously, we saw, from the passage under consideration, the fact that Naomi was able to keep Orpah and Ruth glued to herself. we intend to press home more forcefully this point here. A critical observation of this passage shows the extent of Orpah and Ruth's commitment to their husbands and mother in law. The truth is whatever Orpah and Ruth's attitude are to their mother is a reflection of their disposition toward their husbands. Presently, what was Naomi's condition? This woman has nothing: no husband, too old to be a concubine and even a wife. Her life has become even bitter to her. She has nothing to live for any more. I donnot see anything, physically speaking, in this woman that should make someone to stick to her. Old and a by-word. She fell from grace to grass. When she arrived in Bethlehem, the whole city was moved about her and said: " Is this Naomi?" this clearly shows that she was well known in the land and certainly rich. But now, she has become bereft of all things save the glory of God.
The prevalent slogan in the church today that: "money answererh all things" is a subtle deception. Some would say "get money and your anointing would be complete" "No money no honey in any marriage" So we see brothers and sisters engaging in all night prayer just for money because we fail to realise that Character is the only sustaining gadget. People come and leave our assembly today, because when they are brought in to smell the pastors at close range they smell greed, selfishness and lack of real care. The pastors wife and children are worldly and canal.
Let us take a look at Ruth's commitment to her mother. what Ruth said to Naomi was also in the heart of Orpah but unvoiced. Ruth1:16-17 "And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me." What a commitment to a relationship. She put herself under an oath before God that if anything except death makes her to break this commitment, God should punish her. Good News Bible says: "May the LORD's worst punishment come upon me if I let anything but death separate me from you!" God's word Bible says: "May the LORD strike me down if anything but death separates you and me!" Such was the commitment of Ruth to both her husband and Naomi. what a purity of motif! Naomi has nothing but these ones would go to any length with her. This is nothing but the power of an endless life. Some Christian if they are derobed of their earthly toys like cars, properties, position and homes, men would abandon them. Such have not cultivated spiritual glory. Jesus made a statement that a man's life consists not in abundance of what he has. The word "consists" means, "reside in" New Living translation says: "Life is not measured by how much you own."
Can men give us this kind of commitment? If men run from us every now and then, then we should begin to suspect that something is wrong with our lives. I have met servants of God that cannot keep good people thereby dwindling the number of their congregation. The Bible says that the children of Israel were baptised into Moses. What does this mean? To be baptised into something or organisation means to be initiated into it. The people were baptised into Moses: initiated as into a secrete society. This made them to become obsess about Moses. 1 cor. 10:2 "And each one of them [allowed himself also] to be baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea [they were thus brought under obligation to the Law, to Moses, and to the covenant, consecrated and set apart to the service of God];" (AMP) They were brought under obligation to the Law, to Moses, and to the covenant, consecrated and set apart to the service of God. They were initiated, took an implied oath to be vommited to the leadership of moses. Elishah carried Elijah on his head. The sons of the prophets asked Elishah:"Knowest thou that the LORD will take away thy master from thy head to day?" In my country, if a man is deemed to carry something or somebody on his head, it means he is obsessed about same. "why de carry this thing or person for head sef? So say my people. This kind of risky commitment is a product of character and not in any way a child of charisma or anything physical. Life would be useless them a man does mot have men that are this committed to him. The greatest asset in life is the commitment of men to our course.

2013/11/1 10:14Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy