SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : From a Russian Gulag

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

From a Russian Gulag

During the days of the Stalin purges four men were imprisoned and were thrown into a cell together. As these men began to converse with one another they found they had been imprisoned for their faith in Christ

One of the men had been a Catholic priest. The other a Russian Orthodox priest. The other a Baptist pastor. The other man a Pentacostal pastor. As the short tine these nen were together they found they were brothers in Christ. The quality of Jesus could be seen in each of these brothers as they moved among the other prisoners speaking words of comfort and joy and peace as only Jesus can give in the midst of persecution.

The whole gulag heard about the love these brothers had for one another and the Christ centered testimony they were maintaining. Many prisoners were coming to Christ through these brothers. Though they were tortured, beaton, and threatoned. The joyful testimony could not be silenced.

The camp commander decided these men should be executed. On the night before their executed a Catholic priest, a Russian Orthodox priest, a Baptist pastor, and Pentacistal pastor ere not debating theological dogma. But they were celebrating their entrance into heaven to be with Jesus. Their final night on earth was a celebration of Joy with Jesus in their midst.

The morning these nen were to be executed was a gloomy day as only Russia could have. But these brothers went forth with Joy in their hearts testifying and praising God and exhorting their enemies to faith in Christ. The commander had to order the guards 3 tines to fire as it was not in their hearts to pull the trigger on nen of faith and joy. It was done and these brothers went to be with Jesus.

In the shadow of the cross in persecution, doctrine and theology become irrelevant in laying down one's life for Christ.

Blaine Scogin

2013/10/29 9:25
MaryJane

Re: From a Russian Gulag

In the shadow of the cross in persecution, doctrine and theology become irrelevant in laying down one's life for Christ.

Blaine Scogin

I don't agree with this based on how it is written. It sounds good but just as the thread posted by Greg said you can not make something bad, into something good. The false and deceiving teaching of the Roman Catholic church can not be made good with a feel good story. It may sound harsh to say but the truth is if the priest in this story died and went to his death holding firm to the lies and traditions of the RCC then there is every reason to believe he would not be with JESUS on the other side of eternity. We can live our lives with the thought of I will have a little Jesus and a little of this religion and that and think God will be ok with it but the Bible tells a different story. HE wants our whole heart and nothing less. How can a priest if he dies unrepentant, who spent his life teaching and sharing that Mary is equal to JESUS, that Mary is co redeemer, that Mary is to be prayed to, that dead saints are to be prayed to, that the pope is the vicar of Christ, that men need and intermediary between themselves and God other then Jesus, ect. How can that person be saved if they die holding on to this as truth and placing their hope and faith in these things. If I apply the logic from this story then why not the Mormon as well? There are plenty of Mormons who claim to love Jesus and live and would willingly die for "their" version of Jesus. God set the standard, JESUS alone is the way the truth and the light. Stories like this give false hope to those lost in the RCC.

How one lives and how one dies does matter if they are holding on to anything other then CHRIST JESUS. There is only hope and salvation in HIM. Perhaps bear when you read this you see it differently because you being filled with the Holy Spirit see something different, but my mother who is lost in false religion of the RCC would see this story as proof that the Catholic Priest can go to be with the LORD even though his heart was divided between the LORD and the Catholic Church.

God bless
maryjane

After thought: This story would have held more meaning if no religion had been mentioned and each man was clinging to CHRIST only as LORD and SAVIOR and sharing JESUS only with those around them. I should explain I love those lost in the Catholic church and I pray for them to see HIS truth, to repent and cling to HIM only.

2013/10/29 9:50Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Sister,

I would agree with you in this way. Also I would agree with Blaine that the fires of persecution can bring out true conversions or refine and convert the religious. Once those who are in a jail cell apart from their system of christendom they start to consider the Christ alone.

2013/10/29 9:58Profile
MaryJane

Re:

by sermonindex on 2013/10/29 6:58:55

Sister,

I would agree with you in this way. Also I would agree with Blaine that the fires of persecution can bring out true conversions or refine and convert the religious. Once those who are in a jail cell apart from their system of christendom they start to consider the Christ alone.

I understand that as well and yet for every Catholic(like my mom) who reads these kinds of stories it seems to cement in even deeper the idea and notion that they are fine and will go to be with the LORD even though they hold a divided heart between JESUS and the RCC. Perhaps what I wrote seemed harsh, if it did its only because I love those lost in this false system and fear they will one day stand before the LORD having placed their trust in falsehoods and lies and hear HIM say depart from me I have never known you. My own mother is getting older and has been ill and I pray for her still, her faith is in mary and the holy catholic church as well as JESUS. JESUS deserves our whole heart doesn't HE?

I will close by saying I meant no offense to Blaine, I know his heart is filled with love for the persecuted. I just really am learning that every word we type or speak is so important and we will give an account. Even in typing this my prayer is LORD let my words reflect YOU and none of me.

Thank you for allowing me to share this burden on my heart this morning.
God bless
mj

2013/10/29 10:07Profile
proudpapa

Re:

"I am a Protestant, but we have had near us Catholic bishops and monks and nuns about whom we felt that the touching of their garments heals. We were not worthy to untie their shoelaces. Such men have been mocked and tortured in our country. And even if it would mean to go back to a Rumanian prison, to be kidnaped by the Communists and going back and tortured again, I cannot be quiet. I owe it to those who have suffered there."
- RICHARD WURMBRAND from COMMUNIST EXPLOITATION OF RELIGION HEARING

2013/10/29 10:43Profile
MaryJane

Re:

by proudpapa on 2013/10/29 7:43:41

"I am a Protestant, but we have had near us Catholic bishops and monks and nuns about whom we felt that the touching of their garments heals. We were not worthy to untie their shoelaces. Such men have been mocked and tortured in our country. And even if it would mean to go back to a Rumanian prison, to be kidnaped by the Communists and going back and tortured again, I cannot be quiet. I owe it to those who have suffered there."
- RICHARD WURMBRAND from COMMUNIST EXPLOITATION OF RELIGION HEARING

I have read Richard Wurmbrand writing and I appreciate what he has shared. I know some wonderful Catholic, I know some very kind, generous, and giving Mormons too. People who demonstrate real love towards others but still hold to the teachings of their chosen religion. So does JESUS expect us to walk with HIM alone or is a divided heart a way to salvation? Can I believe what ever I want to and go to heaven and be with the LORD, can I pray to Mary, worship her as co redeemer and still go to heaven and be with the LORD? What does the Bible say? I am sincerely asking what does the Bible say on this topic? If I am wrong then I want to be corrected...

What does matter is HIS truth and I am asking sincerely does the RCC teach Biblical truth?

God bless
maryjane

2013/10/29 11:19Profile
proudpapa

Re:

///What does matter is HIS truth and I am asking sincerely does the RCC teach Biblical truth?///

No,

but I do believe that their is most likely some true born again believers within the RCC.

2013/10/29 13:23Profile
rjennings

USA

Re:

MaryJane,

Thank you for your response. I completely get the notion that there are minor doctrinal issues that we can agree to disagree on and still love each other as brothers and sisters in Christ. But, in this age of relativism we must be careful to not throw out all doctrine for the sake of unity. We still love all men but the Bible is clear on the definition of what it means to be Christian and our primary responsibility is to lead all men, regardless of how evil or sincere, loving, moral, and service-driven they are, to the truth of the gospel.

I never thought I would see a time where a stand for sound doctrine would be criticized, particularly from within the body of Christ but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at all as it is written:

"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine.." 2 Tim 4:3

God bless!

2013/10/29 13:24Profile

Re:

Mary Jane, dear sister, the story I have told is not an endorsement of Roman Catholicism or it's teachings anymore than the story endosres Orthodox, Bayist, or Pentacostal teachings.

The story is meant to communicate a message. The message is in times if persecution that one does not suffer as a Baptist, Pentecostal, Catholic, Orthodox, Calvinist, Cessionist, charismatic, premillionist, Arminian, evangelical, etc. But in times of persecution in the shadow of the cross one suffers as a follower of Jesus Christ.

Dear sister you must understand that in persecuted nations the believers who suffer for Jesus Christ are known as "the persecuted church". Not the persecuted Catholics or persecuted protestants. But the persecuted church. That is those who follow Jesus as ungo death.

Mary Jane you know I modrate Persecution Watch. In preparation for that call I read heart wrenching profiles of believers who are tortured and martyred under the most horrendous circumstances. There are Catholics and Orthodox that have a theology that is not New Testament in many ways. But when confronted by Islamic extremist who say deny Christ and recite the Islamic creed. They will not do so but confess Christ as their throats are being slit or they are shot. Suddenly their theology becomes very deep and New Testament. For Jesus said be who confesses Me before men I will confess him before My Father in heaven.

Blaine

2013/10/29 13:34
proudpapa

Re:

Hi rjennings,

RE: /// I never thought I would see a time where a stand for sound doctrine would be criticized, particularly from within the body of Christ but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at all as it is written : ..///

Who in this thread has criticized sound doctrine ??

Because some believe that there have been true Christians with in the RCC such as Madame Guyon, and that there is a possability that there could still be a few true Christians within the RCC, you somehow believe that we are opposed to sound doctrine ?

All on this thread are very opposed to the RCC !

2013/10/29 13:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy